Pinkham Notch 5 miler?

4:31 p.m. on May 6, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

I'm bringing some first year boy scouts (11 -12 years old) up to Pinkham Notch in June for a 5 mile hike. I'm thinking of hiking one of the following: 1.) the the Imp Loop, 2.) Tuckerman Ravine to Hermit Lake, or 3.) Airline to Kings Ravine. I have not hiked any of these before. The entire crew is inexperienced. Any suggestions would be appreciated?

8:33 a.m. on May 7, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

Done a fair amount in that area. Imp Face loop is a nice hike with lots of excellent views. I prefer it south to north, as you get a shorter exit (but you'll get as many opposing views). I'd stay at Barnes Field (Dolly Copp) and Imp Face would definitely be my first choice. Tuckerman's is a zoo, but everyone should do it at some point. If it's after school is out, and on a weekend, it would be hard to keep the group together and interested IMHO. Airline to King Ravine is a neat hike, but footing in the ravine is somewhat rough.
Other alternatives to consider: Mt Starr King (and Waumbek if you want to add the 2 mile RT). Rocky Branch to Rocky Branch Shelter #2 (easy). Glen Boulder Trail to Boulder(moderately tough). Another more costly option is to take the Gondola to Wildcat summit and hike over to Wildcat A (short, but interesting)
Feel free to eMail me if you have any specific questions. (I grew up in Berlin, and am an Eagle Scout) - SherpaKroto

August 28, 2014
Quick Reply