Whites, NH temps in Sept?

11:27 a.m. on August 19, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

Hi all,
We are going to the Presidentials in mid-Sept and are packing very light. Hoping to do a traverse but not sure what the temps will/should be down in the 'Great Gulf' area.
We will be sleeping low, and I'm not sure my 32*F down bag is in the right temp range. (I sleep warm)
Don't want to take my TNF winter bag unless I have to.

I've found summit temps archives, but not temps down low (in sleeping areas).
I have been to the Whites before, but not in mid-Sept.

Any Experienced help would be appreciated. ie. if you've been there in mid-Sept.

Thanks

2:42 p.m. on August 27, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

It could go either way. Best bet is going to be check the weather before hand. You may very well be able to get away with your summer bag, but don't rule out the winter bag for sure.

Quote:

Hi all,
We are going to the Presidentials in mid-Sept and are packing very light. Hoping to do a traverse but not sure what the temps will/should be down in the 'Great Gulf' area.
We will be sleeping low, and I'm not sure my 32*F down bag is in the right temp range. (I sleep warm)

Any Experienced help would be appreciated. ie. if you've been there in mid-Sept.

Thanks

9:49 a.m. on August 29, 2002 (EDT)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Scott, Scott M

You never really know what the temperature will do. My wife and I went a few years ago during the last week of September/first week of October. When hiking in the lower areas I remember wearing shorts and a short sleeve shirt and sweating profusely. When we got above treeline I remember puttting on long underwear, rain jacket and pants, fleece, gloves, hat...pretty much everything I had. The winds were over 70 with gusts up to 90. After waiting for hours just inside the trees with no slacking in the wind we turned around and went back down. My sleeping back is a TNF cat's meow rated at 20. It's the only one I own. Pictures of me around our camping area show me wearing long underwear under shorts, a fleece jacket, hat and gloves. The temperature was in the high 30s at night. The next day was gorgeous and rather warm above treeline.

If you are a warm sleeper and wear some layers to bed the 32 bag could work....you could end up being cold or hot...I guess make a decisions on which bag to take as late as you can. Check the weather right before you go. I would think that, unless it got really cold, assuming you are sleeping in a tent....that wearing layers and the 32 bag would work.

Quote:

Hi all,

Thanks

November 24, 2014
Quick Reply