Benton Mackaye Trail...any info?

3:44 p.m. on March 18, 2003 (EST)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Scott, Scott M

I spend to majority of my time hiking in the Cohuttas or the Joyce Kilmer/Slickrock area. This weekend, if the weather is good, my wife and I are thinking about branching out and trying something different. We're thinking about hiking and camping on the Benton Mackaye trail. I've been eying section 2 (three forks to hwy 60) but haven't decided. Anybody been there done that (any part of the trail that is)? Have any recommendations?

8:09 p.m. on March 18, 2003 (EST)
(Guest)

a.k.a. scott

I havent been to the Benton Mackaye trail.. although I hear it's nice there. I would suggest hiking parts of the Smokies since you've come so close being at Joyce Kilmer. I just finished up a section hike of the AT in the park and it was amazing. I've only been to Joyce Kilmer once for a dayhike. What are some trails you would suggest? I've heard the Naked Ground trail up to the bald is nice.

8:30 a.m. on March 20, 2003 (EST)
(Guest)

I'd like to hike the Smokies but haven't so far since they don't allow dogs. I would also like to start hiking the AT in sections...hopefully this year. I don't have my maps with me of Joyce Kilmer, but I know there is a short hike up to Bob Stratton bald starting with in a parking lot with Wolf in the name. The other hike I've done is the Slickrock Creek Trail. This hike is AMAZING. I'd recommend it as a summer hike. You cross the creek too many times to count and there are two of the most amazing waterfalls. One is about 3 miles in and the other is about 7. The trail is flat since you follow the creek.

Quote:

I havent been to the Benton Mackaye trail.. although I hear it's nice there. I would suggest hiking parts of the Smokies since you've come so close being at Joyce Kilmer. I just finished up a section hike of the AT in the park and it was amazing. I've only been to Joyce Kilmer once for a dayhike. What are some trails you would suggest? I've heard the Naked Ground trail up to the bald is nice.

11:46 a.m. on March 20, 2003 (EST)
(Guest)

There

August 1, 2014
Quick Reply