Winter backpacking in GA...

6:14 p.m. on December 11, 2006 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
9 forum posts

Planning a 1-nighter along the AT in Northern Georiga. We are looking a section between Dick's Creek Gap to Unicoi Gap (16ish miles). Anyone done this route before? We will probably have a fairly big group - 6-8. Several of which have done very little backcountry camping. Any suggestions?

We are hoping to get started around 10:00 am on Saturday and I hope to be finished by 3-4 on sunday, I have never done any portion of the AT in Georgia but hear that this is an awesome 1-night route?
Any thoughts or tips appreciated?

hnddg74

7:34 p.m. on December 12, 2006 (EST)
(Guest)

a.k.a. Norman C

Hiked the GA AT section the week of thanksgiving that section there in my opinion is the hardest part of AT in GA. I hiked it north bound so if u start at dicks creek you got a hell of a clim to start out with I felt like I was never going to stop going down hill to get to dicks creek gap and Kelly knob was a heck of a clime to. If I were u make it to tray mountains shelter for 1st night it’s a heck of a few from up there best view in that section and a vary vary nice spring and privy. I don’t got my maps with me know any other questions on that trail let me know great part just a lot of big ups and downs.

-stormen norm

6:44 a.m. on December 13, 2006 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
96 forum posts

Maybe look at the section from Woody Gap to Neels Gap which includes Blood Mountain. Somewhat shorter @ 10 miles but nice meandering somewhat more level. Theres also a trail that bypasses Blood Mountain that you can explore if you want to stay out longer.

1:47 p.m. on December 14, 2006 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
9 forum posts

You got me a little worried now. A couple of our guys are, how shall I say, not in "peak physical condition" Too much? Maybe we should get started an hour or 2 earlier to give us a little more time.

Regarding parking and/or pick-up?? Does anyone know how far/long the drive is to Unicoi from Dick's Creek Gap or would trying to find a shuttle service be better? I guess having a shuttle picking us up on Sunday afternoon would give us more time now shifting around cars before we start the hike Sat. am.
Thanks for your help,
hnddg74

2:00 p.m. on December 14, 2006 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
96 forum posts

Can you split your group into 2 parties? If so park a car on either end, set a designated camp 1/2 way and trade keys when you meet. Each group continues in opposite directions.

Is there any particular reason you're doing this section of the AT?

5:55 p.m. on December 14, 2006 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
9 forum posts

This section has been suggested by a couple of local outfitters (Greenville, SC) as a 'perfect' 1-night quality backpack weekend with plenty of variety of terrian and great views, waterfalls, etc.
And it is not too bad a drive from home, several of us have done a lot at Pisgah and most of the Table Rock, Ceasar's head area, something new...

hnddg74

10:28 a.m. on December 15, 2006 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
96 forum posts

I wouldn't really call Greenville SC local but maybe they get over to the GA AT often enoough. Try searching for Cohutta Wilderness in Georgia (adjoining Big Frog Wilderness in TN). Much better than the AT on any day IMHO. Lot's of trails for loops, lot's of water, two impressive water falls, lot's of wildlife lots of variety.

ag

1:31 p.m. on December 27, 2006 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

DO NOT park your vehicle at Unicoi Gap - if you want to keep it from being vandalized.

Josh & Leigh Saint at Hikerhostel.com run shuttles in Georgia. I suggest you give them a buzz if you haven't done this hike yet. They'll hook you up! You could also potentially stay with them a night. Cozy digs to be sure.

Have a great hike.

December 18, 2014
Quick Reply