REI Adventures Yellowstone Backpacking

10:44 a.m. on January 4, 2008 (EST)
(Guest)

Does anyone know if this is a good trip? I'd like to go backpacking but don't want to go alone.

5:52 p.m. on January 4, 2008 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,285 forum posts

REI usually runs good trips, according to people I have talked to who have gone on them. Admittedly, everyone I have talked to who has been on one has either been a trip leader for one or someone who was just starting out doing the type of trip.

10:39 p.m. on January 4, 2008 (EST)
38 reviewer rep
1,757 forum posts

REI is a well-known brand, but in my limited experience, the success of a trip depends on the trip leaders and your companions. On a commercial trip, you don't have much choice as far as who else is along-some trip companies try to match people by experience-if you take a beginner mountaineering trip, for example, the assumption is that all of you are beginners.

If possible,try to talk to the trip leader in advance to get a feel for what to expect. When I did a mountaineering class years ago, I lucked out-my fellow students were great and the two instructors were a lot of fun and very competent.

August 28, 2014
Quick Reply