Anyone been to Jan Mayen?

8:57 p.m. on November 22, 2008 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,308 reviewer rep
1,072 forum posts

My wife and I are looking to head out there, in conjuntion with a trip to Iceland. Has anyone here been there? I looked at as detailed an atlas as I could find, and I don't see any airstrips, so I figure a boat is our only option?

It's a beautiful looking island, with a single main peak and a few glaciers surrounding it. The isolation of the island is also very attractive to us. I understand that Jan Mayen is a possession of Norway, but geographically, it's closer to Iceland.

Any first hand experience out there?

10:00 p.m. on November 22, 2008 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,308 reviewer rep
1,072 forum posts

OK, well, thanks to Wikipedia, I now know there is a small, unpaved airstrip on Jan Mayen, but the only planes that fly there are military transports on behalf of the royal norwegian military, so that leaves the boat route. Which isn't really any better, as there are no harbors or ports.

18 people live on the island at a given time, all military personel and meteorological scientists...but they do allow visitors!!!

10:08 p.m. on November 22, 2008 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,430 reviewer rep
5,311 forum posts

All I know of it is here - http://www.jan-mayen.no/ It seems that the activities, aside from running the LORAN station consist of boating, fishing, ham radio, hiking, shooting, and (GASP!) ice bathing. Well, if you get really warm in the sauna, a quick ice bath is pretty refreshing. But still ... Oh, and there are some painters in the crew.

The crew is typically less than 20 people.

I don't read Norwegian (my little Norwegian is barely at the "survival" level), but the photos in the hiking page look like there are some interesting hikes there.

You have to get there by boat, since the only airstrip is restricted. If you want to visit for 24 hours, you only need notify the police (apparently one person is the entire police force). Longer visits require a more complex set of forms to fill out. In either case, the website says it could take up to 4 months to get a response. Oh, and there is NO support for visiting parties - you are on your own.

Hey, sounds like fun! You going to organize a Trailspace Jan Mayen Expedition? Apparently a Norwegian company called Ecoexpeditions arranges tours.

Oh, yeah, they have some job openings - just the thing in the current economy!

11:47 p.m. on November 23, 2008 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,308 reviewer rep
1,072 forum posts

Yeah, I found that link on the Wiki webpage. Spent an hour mulling aorund there, checking out the few english testimonials and such. Doesn't it look like a awesome place, Bill?

Wouldn't that be fun, getting a group of twenty of us out there, doubling the population of the island for a week or so?

Who needs support anyways?

9:00 a.m. on November 24, 2008 (EST)
9 reviewer rep
47 forum posts

Great idea! My exams are done in 11 days, and that would be a great way to spend Christmas break. And we've already had twenty below here, so the temps won't be too bad. :)

9:23 a.m. on November 30, 2008 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
244 forum posts

If you do not have a boat of your own, or rent someone to take you there I think it is difficult to just take a short visit. AS neighbour of mine has been there tree times, half a year each time 'cause that is the minimum.

On the site Bill gave there is also an application form for seeking job at Jan Mayen. You may contact these Sirianna Olsen tlf: 77 62 13 05 Øystein Falch tlf: 77 62 13 04 remember to put +47 in front of each number.

The saying here is that going to Jan Mayen is the last desperate straw for single women that do not want to stay single. But that is just a joke, my neighbour is still single after she had tree visits!!!!!

5:55 p.m. on December 1, 2008 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
244 forum posts

Just found this report http://www.pbase.com/eaaseth/beerenberg&page=1 from Jan Mayen this summer. Fantastic pictures. Enjoy all who dream about going to this remote island.

October 21, 2014
Quick Reply