Swamp Fox and Lake Moultree Passage

12:08 a.m. on January 8, 2009 (EST)
63 reviewer rep
190 forum posts

I'm thinking about backpacking either the Swamp Fox or Lake Moultree passages of the Palmetto trail in March. Maybe Both? My question is, do I really need Backpacking Boots and the such, or could I do a 4 or 5 day hike in lighter footwear because of the (lack of) terrain. Also, Could I do both passages both ways starting and finishing in the Goose Creek area? I know that's about a 12 day adventure, but I have some vacation time and love to carry 40 lbs around the lowcountry.....

7:40 p.m. on January 8, 2009 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,505 forum posts

Hi mahoo,
The Palmetto Trail does not come through Goose Creek.
The trail is North of "The Creek" by several miles.

Here is a link to a site that has maps of each section of the Palmetto Trail in the Lowcountry. Just scroll down below the pictures and click on the section you are interested in.

http://www.scgreatoutdoors.com/hb-palmettotrail.html

I have done the Moultrie Passage, it is a cakewalk during the cooler months, the insects can be fierce here in warmer months.

7:05 p.m. on January 10, 2009 (EST)
10 reviewer rep
193 forum posts

Hey that sounds like a great trip. Please let me know the details. I was thinking about doing a low county hike late this fall and would love a good review of your trip.

November 25, 2014
Quick Reply