Suggestions for activities around Park City?

1:53 p.m. on January 15, 2009 (EST)
71 reviewer rep
440 forum posts

I'm getting dragged to Park City by the wife over the President's Day weekend.

Other than skiing, what's there to do around/about there in winter? I'm not familiar with that area, so suggestions are welcome. BTW, I'm 46, in good shape, very comfortable in the outdoors, but don't much care for skiing. Suggestions?

5:42 p.m. on January 19, 2009 (EST)
71 reviewer rep
440 forum posts

Okay, I guess Utah's just not feeling the love around here....

7:59 p.m. on January 20, 2009 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
588 reviewer rep
3,051 forum posts

I love Utah! I'm headed to Salt Lake early tomorrow morning for the Outdoor Retailer trade show actually.

I've only passed through Park City in the summer on my way to camping and backpacking farther north, but I'm sure there is lots to do, in addition to skiing. I won't be hitting Park City this week, though lots of others will be for the Sundance Film Festival.

Do you not care for any skiing (i.e. cross-country skiing vs. donwhill?). I'm sure you could go snowshoeing, if you like that. If there are winter activities you enjoy, there's a good bet you can find them there.

I just looked on http://www.parkcitymountain.com/winter/activities/more_activities/index.html
and found skating, winter fly fishing, even bob sled rides.

You might also want to visit Salt Lake City, if you've never done so before.

11:22 p.m. on January 20, 2009 (EST)
71 reviewer rep
440 forum posts

Thanks, Alicia.

No, I'm not a big skier. Have a knee that's been rebuilt a couple times and doesn't much care for the stresses involved. Snowshoeing I'm considering; don't know what the options really include, but we'll see, I guess.

We'll be flying into SLC, but won't be stopping, I'm sure, since the aim of the trip is to get to my bro-in-law's in PC. (At least according to my wife and kids, all of whom DO love to ski.)

The most intriguing bit is the bobsledding. I'd not thought of that, though since the Winter Olympic Games were there not that long ago, I guess it makes sense. Might have to look into that. (Don't mention it to my life insurance rep, though!)

And lastly, the fishing's not a bad idea, depending on weather. I'll check that site you linked to as well.

Thanks for the tips, and hope you enjoy your trip to SLC.

11:22 a.m. on January 24, 2009 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
4,153 forum posts

Jackson Hole

3:51 p.m. on February 4, 2009 (EST)
71 reviewer rep
440 forum posts

Gary--

According to Google Maps, it's 273 miles from PC to JH. I'm looking for things right around Park City--20-30 mile radius or so. Thanks for the sugg., though.

7:12 p.m. on February 4, 2009 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,295 forum posts

How about looking at [url=http://www.parkcityinfo.com/]http://www.parkcityinfo.com/
which is an official website of the city and has a link labelled "Sports & Recreation"? There is a possibility it might list some suggestions that would be suitable. The have sleigh rides, hot air ballooning, and (since you say you are hobbling around) "disabled recreation" if you are in really bad shape. Actually, the drop-down list has something like 25 different categories of activities. I think you can find something to do.

1:57 a.m. on February 8, 2009 (EST)
71 reviewer rep
440 forum posts

Did I say I was hobbling? Didn't mean to. Just meant to indicate my knee doesn't much care for skiing. I can do it, but not at the level I'd like, 'cause of the knee. That, and downhill's never been my thing.

I've looked at the website, etc. But, as usual, it's hard to tell from that sort of thing which things are the highlights or "gotta do" sort of activity versus things which are kinda hum-drum, and so forth. Best example might be horseback riding. There's riding horses, and then there's sitting on horses. Not at all the same.

I was hoping someone familiar with the area and in love with a particular activity, site, etc., would share something that leads me to something really interesting/fun, etc. Since I won't be there long, I didn't wanna just roll the dice and find out later that there was a really great snowshoeing trail ending at a frozen waterfall that's just gorgeous this year--or whatever. I think you get the idea. If not, no worries.

7:52 p.m. on February 17, 2009 (EST)
71 reviewer rep
440 forum posts

Okay, since I'm back from Park City, I'll share a few quick comments.

A long weekend had to start with some skiing, even though all involved knew it wouldn't last. It didn't. Good snow, good rentals, good everything except passion for skiing. So, on to the next activity: snowshoeing. Went out on a snowshoe solo day trip, and loved it. Hiked through trails just outside of town, with lots of snow on the ground, lots coming down, and the only other tracks being those of deer, elk, canines, and ? cougar. Fantastic. Loved every minute.

Followed the snowshoeing with a trip to Utah Olympic Park to watch the final World Cup Bobsled race of the year. Awesome! The best sledders in the world flashing by at 80-mph-plus, free admission, and I'm leaninging on the rail as they go by. Absolutely awesome!

Sunday was highlighted by a day spent fly-fishing on the Middle Provo River. Rented gear from Trout Bum 2 (manager, named Peter was a real help and all-round good guy) and spent a glorious day fishing. Or slapping at the water with a string on a stick, hard to tell. Not much luck with actually catching fish, but a beautiful day on the water is still better than the proverbial poke in the eye.

5:43 p.m. on February 18, 2009 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,295 forum posts

Ummm, Perry, didn't anyone tell you that fishing is not about catching fish (Isaak Walton wrote that, a couple centuries ago)? And what? you were in the Utah backcountry and didn't run into any moose? My experience and that of my Utahn friends ("Utahn" is the correct term for a resident of Utah, I am told by my Utahn friends) is that there are lots of those big tall giant-antlered guys around, and they don't take kindly to hoomins.

Glad to hear you had a good time.

7:25 p.m. on February 18, 2009 (EST)
71 reviewer rep
440 forum posts

Bill--

Saw some moose tracks, along the river, but none while out on the snowshoes. As for the fishing, well, I did my part, or at least tried. It was my finny friends that didn't cooperate. Didn't even show up to the party, really. Ah, well.

Side note--I learned while I was there that Utahans can't spell, always leaving out that second 'a', but figured it was rude to point it out to 'em, so I didn't say anything.

One really beautiful sight along the river was a flock of cedar waxwings (or bohemians, hard to tell), about 20-30 of 'em, in some aspens on the bank, darting out to feed on the midges hatching. If only the fish had seen the midges the way the birds did! Also saw a couple dippers popping in and out of the water. I've always liked them.

Some day maybe I'll share the story of how a cow moose with calf managed to take a year or three off my life expectancy....

2:26 p.m. on February 19, 2009 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
588 reviewer rep
3,051 forum posts

Perry, it sounds like you had a great weekend in Park City! The snowsheing, bobsled watching, and fishing all sound fun. Glad it worked out so well and that you shared the experience here.

Now, feel free to tell us more about that cow moose and calf...

7:44 p.m. on February 22, 2009 (EST)
71 reviewer rep
440 forum posts

Well, if you're curious, look for that under the "Backcountry" heading. I'll entitle it "animal encounters". ;-)

9:49 p.m. on March 2, 2009 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
20 forum posts

Go snowmobling! Theres a place in Heber City. They have half and full day rides and you get to see some pretty cool sights.

September 19, 2014
Quick Reply