a trip in norway

2:16 a.m. on April 25, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
19 forum posts

Dear all,

i will have a 2 week trip in Andalnes and Oslo in norway in July, does any brother knows the weather and any suggestion for where I should go?

any further information are also welcome to discuss?

Thank you very much!

3:23 a.m. on May 10, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
247 forum posts

Chris it depends what you would like to do. Åndalsnes is a very nice place, lots of steep mountains around it. You could go cliff-jumping if you like, or hiking ASO.

But first the weather. It is west coast of Norway, could be rain and cold. The site Senorge.no has all the info you need. When it is just a week till you are there, use yr.no for a concrete weather forecast.

Then you need to plan the trip by using this map, its good. Also check the pages of DNT for their huts and tour suggestions. Zoom into the map, and the huts pops up. When you select one the routes are described to the surrounding huts.

An american in Norway has made a good site to explain Norway for tour hiking. He lives in Trondheim, and Åndalsnes is just not far away. Me I've some friends with a private hut just outside Åndalsnes, so I have only been with them and not used the public huts in that area.

Just forgot the official web page for the area, its here.

5:16 a.m. on May 10, 2009 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
773 reviewer rep
681 forum posts

I'm the American with the web site, hope you found some time to check it out. Unfortunately I haven't done the page for the Romsdalen (Åndalsnes) area yet. For mountain lovers this is one of the premier areas in Norway. I just spent two days ski mountaineering there, topping out on Vengetind, the highest peak in the area, and two other peaks. I posted a report on the Trip Reports forum, and a gallery with photos from the trip:

http://gallery.me.com/rstrimbe#100127

I myself have tentative plans for a 5 to 7 day hut-to-hut hike from Åndalsnes to Sunndalsøra, possibly just me and my dog, that I have been trying to get around to for a couple of years. Here's the basic outline, in case it looks like the kind of thing you want to do:

Train to Åndalsnes.

Over Nesaksla and Hesten to Isfjorden, stay at the nice camping area there. They have small huts for rent if you don't want to carry shelter. You can skip this day by taking a bus to Isfjorden.

To Måsvassbu, a self-service hut. Weather permitting an afternoon or evening trip up nearby Måsvasstind, 1203 m.

To Vasstindbu, unserviced hut up on a ridge at about 1200 m.

To Svartvassbu, unserviced. This is the only hut in the chain I have already been to. Possible side or evening trip up the scarily named Helvetestind (Hell Peak, 1373 m), or evening walk north for views of Gøksyra.

Down to Hoemsbu, self-service, right on the shore of the incredible Eikesdalsvatnet.

2 km boat crossing to Vik. (call Arne Vike,71234515 or Knut Arne Vike 71234570/mob. 91862933). Hike to Reinsvassbu, self service.

From here it is possible to hike back toward Romsdalen/Åndalsnes via full-service Aursjøhytta, or continue east through the Dovrfjell/Sunndalsfjellet area to, for example, Kongsvold on the Oslo-Trondheim rail line; that would take another 3 or 4 days. My own plan is to finish up off-trail by going up 1880 m Storkalkinn and down to Sunndalsøra, a real knee-buster of a day for a guy my age but I think I can do it.

You can use the DNT planning pages that Otto mentioned to get a basic idea of the tour, but sooner or later you'll need maps. You will want the Romsdalsalpene 1:80,000 and Dovrefjell 1:100,000 for the tour I just described. Mapsworldwide.com has the latter but the Romsdalsalpene map is published and available only locally.

I'll say again this is one of the best mountain areas in Norway, so there are also a lot of day hikes and climbs of various grades to choose from. And Otto's right, west coast weather is always iffy, you just have to take it as it comes. Huts make it reasonable and comfortable to get out even if the weather is not the best.

Here's a webcam in Isfjorden, with a view toward Kirketaket and Kjøvskartind.

http://pogostick.net/~rstorvik/

6:27 a.m. on May 21, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
19 forum posts

Wow, thanks all of guys comments, very useful

November 26, 2014
Quick Reply