Backpacking in Patagonia...

6:16 p.m. on May 28, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

New member and first post, big day I know. Looking at planning a trip to do some backpacking in Patagonia. Was wondering if anyone has any good advice or good links for National parks which I've had a hard time chasing down. All the hiking that I've done has been in Australia, although I am not australian. Any advice much appreciated.

2:55 p.m. on May 31, 2009 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,251 forum posts

The Lonely Planet book on Chile has some good information on hiking in Pata. This might be surprising, except that Lonely Planet caters to students and wanderers. There are some good references in that book as well. You should also look on the OmniMap website. If you call Guy at Omni, he can give you more suggestions. Another source is Expediciones Chile . I find Colin Henderson's books to be pretty good.

2:05 p.m. on July 29, 2009 (EDT)
28 reviewer rep
63 forum posts

I went backpacking in Torres del Paine, Patagonia (Chile) and it was amazing. The route is generally regarded as El Circuito (yes, its a loop :) The mix of terrain and vistas is second to none in my experiences. I just recently saw this hike in a book of classic hikes of the world. I believe there was another one (classic hike) on the Argentinian side of Patagonia as well. Give me a shout if you have any questions at all. I think I have the Lonely Planet book and I could photocopy the pages referencing Torres del Paine. I also lived in Punta Arenas (where you will likely fly into) for a year, so I could provide some insight to the town/city.

Enjoy!

July 24, 2014
Quick Reply