Hurricane Camping

12:17 p.m. on June 16, 2009 (EDT)
153 reviewer rep
460 forum posts

Hello,

I still plan on doing some hurricane camping. Some may call me "macho" or just plain foolish but I shew NO repentance when it cometh to this type of camping!

My plan is to survive a hurricane in the safety and comfort of my tent.

I see we are officially in hurricane season. I for one could not be happier! :)

Do keep all replies civil and pleasant to read. No angry postings please.

8:46 p.m. on June 16, 2009 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
1,757 forum posts

Are we starting this up again? Good grief, you know what's going to happen. You know better.

9:08 p.m. on June 16, 2009 (EDT)
153 reviewer rep
460 forum posts

I haven't been on Trailspace for awhile Tom.

This is one of my first post.

You know I want to camp during hurricanes. It's all part of the Outdoor Lifestyle you know...

This is what Trailspace.com is all about I thought-not "fair-weather" camping.

My soul doth seek adventure I must confess. Only hurricanes can satisfy this need and camping in the same.

9:32 p.m. on June 16, 2009 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
501 reviewer rep
2,996 forum posts

No, Trailspace isn't about fair-weather camping only, but I'm with Tom on this for one reason. Unless there is something new to add to this oft-repeated discussion —like you've gone ahead despite all those warnings and concerns and lived to tell the tale — let's not go there over again.

I hope you don't take that as a reason to proceed though, ministercreek. We'd rather keep you in one piece.

9:47 p.m. on June 16, 2009 (EDT)
153 reviewer rep
460 forum posts

I have nothing new to say till I actually go through the expirience.

People will have to wait for that then.

12:55 a.m. on June 17, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
239 forum posts

Just go for it ministercreek. We will read about it one way or another. From you when you get back or some link to a newspaper article about what happened from someone else. :) Have a nice experience.

11:22 a.m. on June 17, 2009 (EDT)
153 reviewer rep
460 forum posts

I plan too.

While it is true I talk about this subject alot, it is still in the "spirit" of what Trailspace.com was founded on: outdoor adventure.

Thanks for the encouraging words Mr.OttoStover. :)

11:27 a.m. on June 17, 2009 (EDT)
153 reviewer rep
460 forum posts

I hope you don't take that as a reason to proceed though, ministercreek. We'd rather keep you in one piece.

I'm sure my mother would lik me to be in one piece too...so when I happen to visit she can be "treated out". Then I do take notice I am discarded like common garbage. Same goes for my brother in Akron Ohio. Ere the groceries are received he complains and sends me away...LOL...like at Easter for example.

Just some observations on my part. :)

4:27 p.m. on June 17, 2009 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
1,757 forum posts

I'm all for adventure, but some things are just plain silly and this is one of them. Didn't we have this whole discussion last year? That's what I am talking about. I'm sure the folks in New Orleans or Houston could give you some firsthand advice about why this isn't such a hot idea.

For some reason, I'm reminded of the scene in Caddyshack where Bill Murray is caddying for the priest in the thunderstorm.

8:48 p.m. on June 17, 2009 (EDT)
33 reviewer rep
201 forum posts

Just keep in mind its not the wind that kills most people in hurricanes, its the water. Make sure you don't drown.

Thinking a little further as to why its the water that kills most and not the flying debris, its because they are in nice solid structures, not camped out in tents.

Good luck...

Do us a favor and give someone the URL to trailspace and your password in a sealed envelope before you do this so we can find out how it went...since most likely it wont be you posting as you will either be in a hospital or worse, the morgue.

11:02 p.m. on June 17, 2009 (EDT)
3 reviewer rep
23 forum posts

Have you ever seen hurricane damage first hand? If not maybe you should camp after a hurricane has hit and help clean up the damages, then you could see first hand what you are getting yourself into, and get a camping experience out of it at the same time.

1:10 a.m. on June 18, 2009 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,258 forum posts

This topic has been beaten to death many times over. Reasonable, sane, and experienced people have had their say in providing advice and cautions, as well as those with sadistic tendencies, apparently fans of disaster movies and "reality TV" who would love to hear about and see people maimed and killed, who are urging the risk taking, and the dreamers who believe themselves to be "invulnerable, immortal, and omniscient" while actually being incredibly naive, who look forward to challenging the "Howl of the Teething Gale" (for Feghoot fans, or for those unfamiliar with the adventures of Ferdinand Feghoot and prefer to "shoot their boots in the teeth of the howling gale").

In short, this nonsense about "hurricane camping" has grown old. So do us all a favor and let's close this entire discussion, no matter which thread (no new ones, please) until Ministercreek has actually camped in a location where the eye of a Category 5 hurricane passed directly over his campground and until he can produce documentation, certified by governmental authorities, that the hurricane was at Cat 5 or greater at the time and location where he was camped in a tent. Photographic and video documentation, along with radar tracks and satellite imagery in 4 bands is required to be included. Until this documentation can be produced, the topic, including all discussion of appropriate equipment, should remain CLOSED!

3:40 a.m. on June 18, 2009 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
1,757 forum posts

Hey Bill, maybe the wind tunnel at your alma mater is still working.

8:04 p.m. on June 18, 2009 (EDT)
153 reviewer rep
460 forum posts

I don't think my idea is "silly" at all. I have NO fear of hurricanes or storms for that matter. Why should I?

I think it is "silly" to waste gas on Nascar races or BIG suv's or pickup trucks. Stupid would be more accurate though.

My idea is not so "silly" after considering that. I am most dedicated to my outdoor lifestyle, regardless of the weather or how "severe". My soul despiseth "fair-weather" camping like I see at Devil's Lake, where I work for the season. I don't even consider that camping at all.

8:08 p.m. on June 18, 2009 (EDT)
153 reviewer rep
460 forum posts

Just keep in mind its not the wind that kills most people in hurricanes, its the water. Make sure you don't drown.

Thinking a little further as to why its the water that kills most and not the flying debris, its because they are in nice solid structures, not camped out in tents.

Good luck...

Do us a favor and give someone the URL to trailspace and your password in a sealed envelope before you do this so we can find out how it went...since most likely it wont be you posting as you will either be in a hospital or worse, the morgue.

I plan to live, God willing. I have MUCH to live for. Like learning to play the guitar, which I am pursuing with the deepest dedication.

If I would happen to perish in my pursuit, so be it. At least I can say I died doing what I loved most. How many people can say that???

What would people say if my idea is most successful? Would I still be scoffed at?

8:27 p.m. on June 18, 2009 (EDT)
153 reviewer rep
460 forum posts

Bill,

Life is full of risk. Didn't we have this self-same discussion last year???

It gets so old, the negativity that is. I choose to be positive and to enjoy life. Not live a dull and boring, uneventful life, trying to "please" men.

12:11 p.m. on June 19, 2009 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,258 forum posts

MC -

As others have said here already, your "hurricane" camping has been beaten to death. You have said all you are going to say, with everything you posted in this thread nothing more than repetition of what you have posted for the last year or more.

In fact, you yourself just posted this above:

Please keep your promise and do not post anything more related to hurricanes until you have actually been through a real hurricane and have something new to add. Move on to other topics.

5:13 p.m. on June 19, 2009 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
613 forum posts

I suggest that everyone simply ignore further rants by this guy on this and other topics, i.e., his comments concerning "big name" gear. Then, he will not have an audience and might, one hopes, refrain from posting such nonsense.

6:06 p.m. on June 19, 2009 (EDT)
153 reviewer rep
460 forum posts

I suggest that everyone simply ignore further rants by this guy on this and other topics, i.e., his comments concerning "big name" gear. Then, he will not have an audience and might, one hopes, refrain from posting such nonsense.

Why is this, Dewey? Doesn't one have the privilege of enjoying the outdoors or just those with a special blessing by you??? Appears quite selfish to me.

I still don't favour "BIG name brand gear" as ye put it. But this is not the topic at hand-hurricane camping is.

6:09 p.m. on June 19, 2009 (EDT)
153 reviewer rep
460 forum posts

MC -

As others have said here already, your "hurricane" camping has been beaten to death. You have said all you are going to say, with everything you posted in this thread nothing more than repetition of what you have posted for the last year or more.

In fact, you yourself just posted this above:

Please keep your promise and do not post anything more related to hurricanes until you have actually been through a real hurricane and have something new to add. Move on to other topics.

Like what do you suggest Bill? Talk about my gear being stolen again? I'm over that. Now I prefer to talk about something that interest me, even if it offends you and certain others.

If this topic bores/troubles you, why did you even reply to the topic (again)? I ask this to Dewey too.

6:13 p.m. on June 19, 2009 (EDT)
153 reviewer rep
460 forum posts

In short, this nonsense about "hurricane camping" has grown old. So do us all a favor and let's close this entire discussion, no matter which thread (no new ones, please) until Ministercreek has actually camped in a location where the eye of a Category 5 hurricane passed directly over his campground and until he can produce documentation, certified by governmental authorities, that the hurricane was at Cat 5 or greater at the time and location where he was camped in a tent. Photographic and video documentation, along with radar tracks and satellite imagery in 4 bands is required to be included. Until this documentation can be produced, the topic, including all discussion of appropriate equipment, should remain CLOSED!

Bill,

Why should I provide any "proof" to you? I'm not your personal weatherman that I can recall.

Now if you excuse me I have some things to attend too.

6:41 p.m. on June 19, 2009 (EDT)
153 reviewer rep
460 forum posts

Ok Tom, no more topics about "hurricane camping". I was wrong for even bringing this topic up (again). I prefer to talk about stolen camping gear. Wow I love that topic!!! Makes my soul so happy! :)

Actually I hate the idea of camping in hurricanes. I was just bored so I decided to post this topic.

I'm in all reality only interested in camping when the temps are in the 80's and the skies are blue and the sun is shining. I'm no real camper. All those photos I have posted on community.webshots.com are all fake, artificial. That's not really me hiking either.

http://community.webshots.com/user/ministercreek

9:27 p.m. on June 19, 2009 (EDT)
110 reviewer rep
762 forum posts

I don't think my idea is "silly" at all. I have NO fear of hurricanes or storms for that matter. Why should I?

I haven't posted much on Trailspace in quite some time. I just didn't have anything important to say. Now, I'll add my 2 cents - once.

People are killed, everyday, by things they aren't afraid of. Flying, cars, children, bears, snakes, insects, trees, rocks, food, etc., etc. The list is endless.

I'm not afraid of bullets, or even guns for that matter, but the people behind the triggers scare the hell out of me. The unknown parts of the equation are the things that can, and will, catch us off-guard.

With a comment like that in someones topic-opening post, it is obvious that they knew they would get a rise out of some of the members/staff here. Good discussion, and even mild disagreement is engaging and entertaining. Continuing discussions and topics which have already drawn fire from forum moderators and members alike usually point to someone who is trying to relieve their own boredom and not add anything constructive to the site. If this is who this person really is, we can expect to read more of the same from them. If not, after reading this, I trust in good faith that the hurricane posts will cease.

My advice to Trailspace members/readers is to (unless you've actually survived a hurricane while camping in a tent) let this one go.

(Of course, if you didn't survive, we'd love to hear from you too! ;-)

8:40 p.m. on June 20, 2009 (EDT)
153 reviewer rep
460 forum posts

I haven't posted much on Trailspace in quite some time. I just didn't have anything important to say. Now, I'll add my 2 cents - once.

People are killed, everyday, by things they aren't afraid of. Flying, cars, children, bears, snakes, insects, trees, rocks, food, etc., etc. The list is endless.

I'm not afraid of bullets, or even guns for that matter, but the people behind the triggers scare the hell out of me. The unknown parts of the equation are the things that can, and will, catch us off-guard.

With a comment like that in someones topic-opening post, it is obvious that they knew they would get a rise out of some of the members/staff here. Good discussion, and even mild disagreement is engaging and entertaining. Continuing discussions and topics which have already drawn fire from forum moderators and members alike usually point to someone who is trying to relieve their own boredom and not add anything constructive to the site. If this is who this person really is, we can expect to read more of the same from them. If not, after reading this, I trust in good faith that the hurricane posts will cease.

My advice to Trailspace members/readers is to (unless you've actually survived a hurricane while camping in a tent) let this one go.

(Of course, if you didn't survive, we'd love to hear from you too! ;-)

Sir,

My last comment was said in good humor. Of course I am who I claim to be. I am really into the outdoors, very much so. I repent not for my outdoorsy life-style.

Allow me to say this: I spent good money on a quality four-season/expedition tent not too long ago. I purchased the same for the intended purpose of survivng a hurricane in my tent. If I am just posting this as some joke, why would I even waste my hard-earned money on such a tent in the first place???

I always respected Trailspace.com due to the fact I believe it is a Site that was created for people who love the outdoors. There is no doubt in my mind I am in love with the Great Outdoors.

2:44 p.m. on June 21, 2009 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
501 reviewer rep
2,996 forum posts

I'm officially locking this thread, since it is going nowhere constructive at a quick rate.

Let's all move on.

July 31, 2014
Quick Reply