Newbe looking for trips.

11:19 p.m. on June 30, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
4 forum posts

Hello all. I live in northeast Illinois and am looking for a location to go on my first back country camping trip. I want to do 2-3 day trip.

The main problem I am having is just getting started. Gear is not a problem. The actual finding a place and setting a course is. How do you pick a place and what step are needed to take. Do u just go to a park and start going or are there special rules.

My group wants to just go some where hike to a random spot and camp.

Thanks for the help. ATO4LIFE

12:15 a.m. on July 1, 2009 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
649 forum posts

Welcome to Trailspace ATO4LIFE

Sorry I cant help you with you question but I live in Central New York I just wanted to jump in and say welcome. I sure some members here will be able to help you.

12:43 a.m. on July 1, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
4 forum posts

thanks for the welcome. its a hard hobby to get going without any help

3:21 a.m. on July 1, 2009 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
649 forum posts

Yes it is

You could could try to contact the boy scout troops in your area and maybe they could steer you in a direction or a local store that deals mainly with camping, hiking & backpacking gear or hunting they may be able to help you as well.

8:45 a.m. on July 1, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
4 forum posts

im hitting up Cabelas and REI today

10:29 a.m. on July 1, 2009 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
983 reviewer rep
3,475 forum posts

Hey there ATO,

Websites are a great starting point, the national parks have a network of websites with pages for each park, and most state parks I'm familiar with do too. Here is a link to the nps.gov site for your state:

http://www.nps.gov/state/IL/

You should find a wealth of info through that site.

Also pick up a copy of a trail guide for you state, these guides will list trails in your state with small maps and a description of the area. REI should be able to hook you up with one or you can order the book online from numerous sources.

Hiking clubs, try to find a hiking club in your area. These clubs usually meet on weekends to do group hikes and are a great way to meet knowledgeable people.

A quick search turned up this club in your area:

http://www.foresttrailshc.com/

Welcome to Trailspace!

3:35 p.m. on July 1, 2009 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
983 reviewer rep
3,475 forum posts

Oh yeah, does the ATO refer to the Alpha Tao Omega frat by any chance. Just curious.

10:08 p.m. on July 1, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
4 forum posts

Yes it does. ATO Alumni. thanks for the advice as well.

7:50 p.m. on July 2, 2009 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
983 reviewer rep
3,475 forum posts

No problem my friend, good to have you on Trailspace!

9:27 p.m. on July 2, 2009 (EDT)
314 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

ATO, I lived in Iowa. And to tell the truth there is very little backpacking country in that area. I think you will find some spots along the Mississippi. Other than that go to Wisconsin. Iowa and Ill are not hot backpacking areas. Good luck.

August 21, 2014
Quick Reply