North Country Trail

1:13 p.m. on August 16, 2009 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
133 forum posts

I am thinking about hiking a portion of the North Country Trail (whole trail goes from New York to North Dakota). I was just curious if anyone has any experience with the trail and would be willing to share a few pointers. Thanks

7:34 p.m. on August 16, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

I thinking the same here as well. I have made my own maps over the past few years here in Michigan. They link into the NCT and keep you off the road. My goal is to finish all of Michigan this year.

What I have done so far seems to work:

3 pairs of clean clothes 4th day find laundry mat of creek

extra hiking boots

no tent just a 10x8 tarp with nylon rope

Ready to eat meals (hidden along route by friends)

light back pack

I would like to find a network of people from New York to North Dakota to help with shelter or food placement along the trail.

10:03 p.m. on August 16, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
89 forum posts

NCTA should help. 121 of 200 miles are finished here in WI. WI has the shortest distance of all states.

10:03 p.m. on August 16, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
89 forum posts

NCTA should help. 121 of 200 miles are finished here in WI. WI has the shortest distance of all states.

10:34 p.m. on August 16, 2009 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
649 forum posts

CoyotePacker
I have done some of the NCT here in NY and its is a overall nice trail.

Yankeesprings
Wow 3 pair of extra clean clothes and a extra pair of hiking boots. But as your question goes.

I would like to find a network of people from New York to North Dakota to help with shelter or food placement along the trail.

Have you looked on this websites they may have the support you need or know where you can get it.

North Country Trail Association

10:22 p.m. on August 19, 2009 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
12 forum posts

Hello fellow Michiganders,

CoyotePacker

Definitely hit the North County Trail Association website there's links to all the trail chapters on it and they have just a ton of info.

Some observations. Be prepared for several segments of trail over roadways as trails are a work in progress, water is not usually a problem (filtered of course), several areas have camping restrictions, trails are generally in very good shape (been bewildered never lost) and I hope to read about your treks sometime.

Yankeesprings

I've mostly dayhiked from Battle Creek through the Jordan River segments and am considering a short backpacking vacation myself and wonder if you have done anything in the U.P.. The area you're named after is nearby and hiked often and I recognized the sign.

11:45 a.m. on August 20, 2009 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
133 forum posts

Thanks for all of the replies. At some point I think I'll try and make it to the Upper Penninsula to hike the section by the Pictured Rocks.

12:16 p.m. on August 20, 2009 (EDT)
3 reviewer rep
6 forum posts

Last year, I day hiked the Porcupine Lake Wilderness area in Wisconsin. There are several trails in the Chequamegon-Nicolet National Forest that cross in that area, fortunately the NCT is well marked. Along with checking the North County Trail Association website [url=http://www.northcountrytrail.org/]http://www.northcountrytrail.org/ if you go through state or federal forest areas, I'd check with them also about conditions.

11:54 a.m. on August 21, 2009 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
14 forum posts

If you plan on hiking this trail in Wisconsin best keep the tarp at home and bring a tent. The bugs will kill you. Ticks (April/May) , mosquitoes (June/July) & flies (July/August).

12:03 p.m. on August 21, 2009 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
133 forum posts

Oldpacker - The same applies for here in Michigan. Squiters, ticks and flies can get pretty hard core depending on the time of year.

1:14 p.m. on August 21, 2009 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
649 forum posts

As well as here in NY with the bug's

8:57 a.m. on August 23, 2009 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
14 forum posts

I should add that fall is a great time to be in northern Wisconsin. The trail goes through Chequamegon National Forest. The bugs take a vacation. The loons may be gone but you will see lots of birds and other wildlife. There are even some elk in one area. The wolves will serenade you at night. There are cyotes and black bears. There are lots of lakes. You might hike all day and not see another person.

My secret lake is near the trail. I would tell you where it is but then I would have to kill you.

I was just up in that area a few days ago. There were still a few flies but did not encounter any other bugs. It's time to hit the trail.

11:58 a.m. on August 23, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
89 forum posts

Are you from WI.? Would you consider showing a rookie the ropes? I have camped forever but never backpacked. I have a pack, bag,tent,stove,lantern,pots and almost all of the ten essentials.

12:02 p.m. on August 23, 2009 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
133 forum posts

Oldpacker - Sounds like you live near a good section of the trail.

4:29 p.m. on August 24, 2009 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
14 forum posts

Coyote, I live about 200 miles from that part of the trail. I just visit that area often. It is a magical place.

New hiker, there are probably many others that could teach you the right way to pack. I am about at the end of my backpacking. I always carried too much and killed myself. I would suggest that you take a one or two night trip and only go a short distance. Then go through your pack and decide what you don't need. Make sure your geer is light but durable. This is one activity that never pays to go with cheap geer. The first time I went was in the mountains. I had a cheap ($6 garage sale) pack, military sleeping bag (very heavy) no ground pad and so on. I learned hard the first time out.

Happy trails.

6:08 p.m. on August 26, 2009 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
14 forum posts

Did I say geer instead of gear? Whatever. Con't go cheap.

1:46 p.m. on August 27, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
89 forum posts

Just got back from copper falls and hiked the trail there. Super; Hopefully next time will be backpacking as this was just camping with my daughter.

9:11 p.m. on August 27, 2009 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
14 forum posts

New Hker you are in for a world of enjoyment. Copper Falls is a wonderful place. For those of you not familiar with northern Wisconsin it is big and wild. Lots of national forest land. Lots of state parks. Lots of waterfalls. On our last trip to Copper Falls we also visited Morgan Falls and Potato Falls. I won't get out backpacking this year. I am almost 62 and just had a stent put in my heart. But I am off to Yellowstone in a week for day hiking and flyfishing. I plan on hauling the pack again next year. Thus the name.....Oldpacker.

Glad to hear someone else that enjoys wild wonderful northern Wisconsin.

July 30, 2014
Quick Reply