Backpacking Trip

11:53 p.m. on September 20, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

I'm trying to do a week long backpacking trip the first week in November. I need a good trip with a good amount of miles in a warm part of the country. I'd like to be in the southwest somewhere but I could really go anywhere. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions. I'll be flying from Alaska so it also has to be accessible by some form of public transportation. That can be the tricky part sometimes.

Thanks for any help that anyone can offer.

11:44 a.m. on September 21, 2009 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,141 forum posts

The Grand Canyon is very nice in November. The tempertures have cooled down, but it will still be warm enough expecially from Alaska to enjoy the canyon. Tho just thinking unless you are able to get a permit, it may not be a good choice. Permits are reserved and can be looked into at the following link:

http://www.nps.gov/grca/planyourvisit/backcountry.htm

Permits are $10 per trip and $5 per night. The following hike would be $35 for the permit. It costs $20 to enter the Grand Canyon NP unless you already have a National Parks Pass and $20 to stay in the South Rim Campground.

I would recommend doing the South Kaibab to Bright Angel Camp, then hiking up to Cottonwood Camp (C.C.). Along the way to C.C. stop and see Ribbon Falls. Stay in C.C. for a couple nights to explore a nice couple side canyons nearby. One is Transept Canyon opposite the Bright Angel Creek and NW of the camp. The other is Wall Canyon which you would cross the mouth of about a half mile before getting to C.C.

Then return to the Bright Angel Camp and stop and send a postcard from Phantom Ranch. The last place in the USA where a mule carrys the mail out to the rim. The postmark actually says "Carried from the bottom of the Grand Canyon by packmule"

Then return to the South Rim via the Bright Angel Trail stopping halfway out at Indian Gardens Camp. Hike out to Plateau Point, where you can stand almost a thousand feet above and look down on the Colorado River.

And then on what would be the 6th day in the canyon, hike out to the South Rim.

You can fly to Phoenix from Alaska. Then rent a car for a week. If you stop in Flagstaff stay overnight at either the Grand Canyon or the Du Beau Hostel. One is on 19 West Phoenix Ave (Du Beau) and the Grand Canyon Hostel is at 19 South San Francisco Street. Both are run by the same company at this link, call or email ahead for reservations. Last time I stayed at the hostel in April it was $19, minus a $5 room key deposit paid back when you check out.

http://www.grandcanyonhostel.com/#

Or you may want to drive on to the South Rim and camp at Mather Campground. That way you can be on the trail down into the canyon earlier. It is 80 miles from Flagstaff AZ to the South Rim and 230 miles from Phoenix AZ.

If you want to see some detail maps ask me at garyclaytonpalmer@yahoo.com I spent 20 years hiking the canyon from 1983-2003 and I live in Flagstaff.

Where in Alaska do you live? I lived and worked in Denali Park at the Denali River Cabins the summer of 2006. And then lived and worked in Anchorage from September to January after a bicycle tour from the North Slope to Seward and Homer Spit in July/August. I lived at Jason's International Hostel on Eide Street in Anchorage. and worked at Denny's.

I also lived in Alaska in 1977-79 waiting for my name to come up on a homestead act land list. I stayed till midwinter the second year before returning to the lower 48.

5:19 p.m. on September 22, 2009 (EDT)
26 reviewer rep
241 forum posts

The Grand Canyon is great. Other close by areas: Sedona and Canyons around Prescott.

http://www.greatsedonahikes.com/

3:42 p.m. on September 26, 2009 (EDT)
15 reviewer rep
204 forum posts
September 2, 2014
Quick Reply