North Carolina hike advice needed

10:13 a.m. on October 17, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
415 forum posts

I moved to the Triad (Winston-Salem) in August. I've hit all the obvious choices -- Pilot Mountain, Stone Mountain, Hanging Rock -- and I'm wondering if there are any little-known routes within an hour's drive that I ought to be checking out.

Feedback welcome.

12:24 p.m. on October 17, 2009 (EDT)
26 reviewer rep
241 forum posts

This club is based in Asheville, but you might find some leads. There is good hiking in the Cherokee and Pisgah National Forest including Mt. Mitchell.

http://www.carolinamtnclub.com/

Check their "Hike Finder" in the left hand column.

6:46 p.m. on October 17, 2009 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,481 forum posts

Hey Tom,

I agree with rambler, Cherokee & Pisgah are really cool.

Are you looking for peaks, waterfalls, rivers, etc?

I would be glad to offer what i know. I will say that at some point you should check out the 'Foothills Trail' along the Blue Ridge Escarpment. More or less follows the NC / SC state line.

9:43 p.m. on October 17, 2009 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,481 forum posts

Here is a site link that might be useful Tom, Winston Salem is a little East of places I usually go to. I personally hike in places along the TN / NC border and NC / SC border, I currently live in Charleston SC. I used to live in and near Chattanooga TN.

http://www.localhikes.com/MSA/MSA_3120.asp

9:39 p.m. on October 19, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
33 forum posts

I think I posted this in an earlier post, but black balsam knob is beautiful, ill post some pics

4:14 p.m. on October 29, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

Have you checked out Uwharrie National Forest? It's about an hour south east of you. There are two main trails. The Uwharrie Recreational Trail is about 20 miles long end to end and the Dutchman Creek Trail crosses it on the lower half and is about 11 miles. Copperheads and rattlers are reported to be plentiful in the area but I have never run across either. The 24/27 (southern) trailhead is used heavily by deer hunters during December. There is an easy in and out at the 109 Trailhead to Spencer's Creek. A total distance of about 5.5 miles.

If you would like to play hookie from work during the middle of the week, contact me and I will meet you at a trailhead. We could knock out some miles during a low use time period. Just let me know how many miles and days you would like to hike.

10:57 a.m. on November 11, 2009 (EST)
225 reviewer rep
1,194 forum posts

Go down I40 to Morganton, turn north onto Hiway 181 and follow it up to the Wilson Creek area of Pisgah/Grandfather Ranger district. On the left of 181 is Steels Creek and Linville Gorge, on the right of 181 is Upper Creek(my personal favorite), Harpers Creek, Lost Cove Creek, the Mountains to Sea trail and the old Greentown trail by the Barkhouse on 181. More info if you need it.

Beyond this, I've stealth camped around Pilot Mt once, one time on the Arafat(sp) River and another time at Stone Mt in Wilkes County.

September 23, 2014
Quick Reply