Winter camping in NY/PA

9:58 p.m. on October 31, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

Hi, new to the forums.

I'm having trouble finding a year-round campground in western New York or northern Pennsylvania. Planning on going sometime in January.

Looking for a tent-friendly place. Letchworth and Allegheny both are cabin only, and the only site I've found west of the Adirondacks is a 3.5 hour drive away. Would like to find something a little closer to Buffalo/Lake Erie. Preferably less than 2 hours.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Mike

7:25 p.m. on November 10, 2009 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

well, whats the answer?

9:38 a.m. on November 13, 2009 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

Well, I guess if there's no input, I'll have to settle on Gardner Hill in Lowman, NY. Anyone been there?

3:40 p.m. on November 24, 2009 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

I don't know if it is within your distance limit (about 1 1/2 hours from Rochester), but the Finger Lakes National Forest is hard to beat for year round. It is located on the Eastern side of Seneca Lake. It is an absolutely awesome year round area, and there are hundreds of primitive camping sites, plus a 12 mile section of the Finger Lakes Trail.

I do several trips there every year including a couple of winter pulk sled trips, and I've never met more than a couple of other groups camping during the best of weather, so it's like having the forest to yourself.

6:03 a.m. on December 21, 2009 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

I know of a camp/retreat center near Erie PA that might be open to winter camping and would be tent friendly. Terrain ranges from heavily wooded to open fields & Lake Erie shore. I'll check with the folks in charge and get back with a reply. Would you have any special needs or requirements other than access to restroom facilities?

September 19, 2014
Quick Reply