florida trails

9:05 a.m. on November 9, 2009 (EST)
12 reviewer rep
9 forum posts

Anyone that has hiked or is thinking of hiking in Florida please reply.

10:54 a.m. on November 9, 2009 (EST)
14 reviewer rep
204 forum posts

there isn't a whole lot down here. There are a few trails in the Everglades, but there's no scenery. You can also backpack along the canals - but again, no scenery/shade/protection from our popcorn-thunderstorms.

Friends tell me there is some up in the panhandle, but I have never gone up that way yet.

11:20 a.m. on November 9, 2009 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
715 reviewer rep
3,166 forum posts
Florida National Scenic Trail

I have no personal experience with it, but there is a 1,400-mile Florida National Scenic Trail. The Florida Trail Association has local chapters and maps and guidebooks.

http://www.floridatrail.org/

4:13 p.m. on November 9, 2009 (EST)
2 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

Has anyone hiked in Ocala National Forest? I am trying to plan a trip for Feb 2010 and I've never hiked in Florida. I'm open to suggestions.

10:49 a.m. on November 10, 2009 (EST)
12 reviewer rep
9 forum posts
Re: Florida National Scenic Trail

Thanks for the write-back. I've looked at the sight you're talking about,but it was too "hearing it from someone who sounds like a park ranger-ish and doesnt look at it from eyes of "what is there-ish?", for me.

10:55 a.m. on November 10, 2009 (EST)
12 reviewer rep
9 forum posts

Thanks for replying. No one has brought up the alligator population now, or any down sizes to hiking the everglades, mistakes people have learned from, etc./. I hope you do the pan handle thing and have a lot of fun.

11:19 a.m. on November 10, 2009 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
715 reviewer rep
3,166 forum posts

You might try clicking through to the website of some of the local hiking chapters, depending on what areas you're interested in. Seeing the local/less-official info and getting in touch with those local hikers may open up a lot of info.

http://www.floridatrail.org/options/Chapters/

1:02 p.m. on November 18, 2009 (EST)
30 reviewer rep
1,240 forum posts

Ocala national forest is not worth the expense in getting there.

Not very scenic and terrible campsites.

When I want to go on hikes in Florida, I head to Georgia

Look into Cumberland Island National Seashore.

Ed G

Clermont, Fl

9:03 a.m. on November 26, 2009 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
6 forum posts
12:04 a.m. on December 1, 2009 (EST)
14 reviewer rep
204 forum posts

I'm a local hiker, and trust me, my boots get more action at the mall than they do on our "trails". My tent has seen more time down at Bahia Honda than anywhere in this state. Not bashing Florida, but there's not a lot to offer 'hikers' down here - unless its packing everything in your backpack and hiking along the beach for a few miles, throw your tent down, pray your beer is cold, and swat mosquitos for a few days.

Not being pessimistic, but you'll see me on Allegiant Air to Knoxville (for the Smokies) before you see me even CONSIDER backpacking in the swamp (everglades)... and its 15 minutes from my home.

December 22, 2014
Quick Reply