Canyon trio- January backpacking trip

10:36 p.m. on November 12, 2009 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

Hi all,

I'm trying to plan a week or two long backpacking trip in January, and I'm pretty enticed by the various canyon parks-- the Grand Canyon, Glen Canyon, and Canyonlands. I've never been to any of them, and I hear that the winter weather isn't too bad (compared to Maine, my home state, anyway). First, has anyone been to any of these places in the winter, and if so, any advice on making this trip happen? Good places to go, what to plan for, water situation, etc.

Also, I am frustratingly too young to rent a car, so getting from Boston to these places is a challenge. Any ideas how I could manage that? I will be with just one other person, who is also unable to rent a car. Thanks!

-Ashley

1:41 p.m. on November 13, 2009 (EST)
210 reviewer rep
4,244 forum posts

Amtrak from there to Flagstaff, then there are many tour groups and a couple Youth Hostels where you can get a ride to the Grand Canyon.

As far as the Grand Canyon it is very nice there this time of year. I spent 20 years hiking the canyon from October to March. November to Feburary is winter on the rim. But below it is often warm and dry. The bottom of the canyon is 5000 feet below the south rim and very nice.

Email me separately at garyclaytonpalmer@yahoo.com for more hiking ideas and info on the GC.

12:51 p.m. on November 21, 2009 (EST)
2 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

Hi Ashley

I've done quite a bit in the Grand Canyon and some other places in the southwest. I would be more than happy to give you some tips but I would need to know your hiking experience first. The Grand Canyon is tops on my list but it can hurt you. If you want some info please feel free to contact me at raymcinnis1@gmail.com

2:01 a.m. on November 24, 2009 (EST)
4 reviewer rep
16 forum posts

Hmmm... January... winter break... California!

October 31, 2014
Quick Reply