Ouachita National Forest

9:31 p.m. on November 29, 2009 (EST)
363 reviewer rep
130 forum posts

Has anyone hiked the Ouachita National Forest? I am thinking about doing the 192 mile Ouachita Forest Trail and was wondering if it would be a good hike. Any comments or suggestions are appreciated.

8:41 p.m. on December 1, 2009 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,430 reviewer rep
5,326 forum posts

I have hiked in the Ouichitas, including a part of the Ouichita Forest Trail. Nice area, but it has been long enough ago that I won't offer comments (things were changing in the area when I was last there 27 years ago).

9:48 p.m. on December 1, 2009 (EST)
363 reviewer rep
130 forum posts

I know a lot can change in 27 years. What was the terrain like? Hills, mountains, or something else? I cant seem to even find a topo for the area.

1:21 p.m. on December 2, 2009 (EST)
2,430 reviewer rep
5,326 forum posts

Here is the page on the USGS map site that indexes all the 1:24k quads. Once you establish which quad you want, you can download it for free.

http://161.58.59.215/mf/data/mapfinder/states/AR/AR_Quad.pdf

The quads covering the trail are USGS Quads: Paron, Thornburg, Aplin, Paron SW, Nimrod SW, Nimrod SE, Hamilton, Avant, Fannie, Onyx, Steve, Story, Chula Mtn., Sims, Brushy Creek, Muse, Leflore SE, Blackjack Ridge

Info on the trail plus the maps is also at

http://www.fs.fed.us/r8/ouachita/maps/documents/TR-01GEN_Ouachita_National_Trail.pdf

The part I hiked was between Big Brushy campground toward the west, and picked up when I reached US71 (north of Mena, where I had my plane parked).

5:32 p.m. on December 2, 2009 (EST)
363 reviewer rep
130 forum posts

Thanks Bill

9:07 p.m. on December 2, 2009 (EST)
210 reviewer rep
4,243 forum posts

Bill, You said above about having a plane parked. You get around by plane a lot?

11:21 p.m. on December 2, 2009 (EST)
2,430 reviewer rep
5,326 forum posts

Used to. But when we moved back to California, we found that owning a plane and owning a house in the SFBay Area are not financially compatible (unless you are Larry Ellison). Now I just use the commercial operators and bush pilots.

October 30, 2014
Quick Reply