Lake Moultrie

10:22 p.m. on March 4, 2010 (EST)
63 reviewer rep
190 forum posts

Heading up to Lake Moultrie after stopping in Charleston and picking up an old buddy (he's not old, we went to gradeschool together and have known each other for about 30 years or so... ok so we feel old sometimes, but hay) of mine for a getaway starting saturday. We plan on finding a place on the northern shore, probably sandy beach area and getting a little bass/crappie fishing in while relaxing and just taking it day by day. Anybody fished or been to that corner of the world before? Weather looks good, but the water temp is still cold for here, wonder if any fish will be biting?

9:00 a.m. on March 5, 2010 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,556 forum posts

Lake Moultrie?

I'm headed there today actually to practice my casting. I sometimes camp in the Hatchery area which has several small islands. I love the lake, it has a very tropical feel with sandy beaches to camp on. The only bad experience I have had there was when a storm was blowing in and we almost got blown away, we also learned where ALL the insects on the lake go during a storm, to the islands to cling to trees, and US. We were literally covered in mayflies and other insects, it was horrible, but now we have something to look back on and laugh.

Yeah, water temp is cold still, you're right, but that can work in your favor maybe if you also bottom fish at night from the shore where you camp for the Catfish that seem to thrive there. Catfishing is not my forte, but my buddies swear by chicken liver, shrimp, and something else I can't remember right now, fished a few inches to a couple feet off the bottom. No float or bobber, just chunk it out as far as you can with a good size weight, and let it sit. We put bells on our pole to let us know when we have a nibble, as this does not seem to be fast paced fishing and we usually begin talking and take a seat while we wait on a bite.

I prefer bass & bream fishing from my little boat myself, but I'm no Lake expert on that either, but I'm learning and I do enjoy going to the lake. Lot's of structure there, and plenty of water to cover. If you plan on putting a boat in the water just be aware that this is flooded farmland, and there are huge stump fields in the lake where the trees were cut down. Some of these stumps are just inches below the water, so go slow until you get into deep water which is usually pretty far out from the shore. Lot's of gators & cottonmouths there as well.

My nephew recently caught a 9 lb. largemouth in the hatchery area, and when we got back to the boat landing one of the older guys there commented that he was surprised because he knew a lot of bass fishermen were taking the bigger bass they caught to the upper lake (Marion) and releasing them there because that's where the fishing tournaments are held. Just hear say of course, but maybe true.

Gee, I hope you guys have a blast, do you know yet where you're going to camp?

7:15 p.m. on March 5, 2010 (EST)
63 reviewer rep
190 forum posts

Trout,

Once again thank for sharing your wisdom, hope you had a good day out there casting. Last time I went up there to hike both the swamp fox and moultrie passages I camped at sandy beach and never made it any further because it was 80 degrees, sunny and no bugs! Plus I was worn out from hiking up from Awendaw.

Your right, it is a pretty place, that's partly why I am going to bring my friend there. I tink we may just wander around the north and west shores, between diversion canal, that monster santee cooper plant and rediversion canal. I'll have to pick up some bells that's a great idea!

8:44 p.m. on March 5, 2010 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,556 forum posts

Well, you'll have good weather for it if the forecast is correct, you guys have a good trip!

December 20, 2014
Quick Reply