About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Washington and Oregon Backpacking Trips

8:41 p.m. on May 26, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
76 forum posts

Im going to be backpacking a lot this summer and would like to get some backpacking trips figured out. I need to know some good places to go in Washington State. The trips can range anywhere from a 5 mile dayhike to a 40 or 50 mile week hike, ill be doing mostly day and 2 or 3 day weekends but I need to figure out where to go for a week in august.

When i return to school in Portland i'd love to know some other great hikes so those are encouraged as well 8)

Thanks

Tulley

9:04 p.m. on May 26, 2010 (EDT)
314 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

Well you could just hike the Oregon coast. There are no private beaches. You would have to walk some on 101 but there are many bikers and hikers all the time. Plus many trails to hit on the way. Just stop at some of the info areas they are happy to tell you where they are. Free.

1:55 p.m. on June 6, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
76 forum posts

thank you for the thoughts mike I will certainly look into that when i head to college this fall.

Anyone else have hikes for the summer in washington?

6:26 a.m. on June 7, 2010 (EDT)
87 reviewer rep
2,224 forum posts

Olympic National Park is a JR Tolken fairy tale hiker's dream land. Good for a weekender or extended trip. Try going around Labor day - less rain.

Ed

1:50 p.m. on June 7, 2010 (EDT)
MODERATOR TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
884 reviewer rep
3,432 forum posts

A few years back I had a chance to go on a NOLS Pacific NW trip, but I couldn't take enough time off work. Real bummer.

Olympic NP is definitely on my short list, I look at photos and videos of it from time to time. Nothing like being there I'm sure.

8:00 p.m. on June 7, 2010 (EDT)
3 reviewer rep
170 forum posts

I lived in Forks, WA for four years and Port Angeles for another year after that. If you go to Olympic NP make sure you go to the visitors center in the Hoh Valley. That is the best place to get a close look at the rain forest. I highly recommend hiking south from Third Beach in La Push because the coast there is absoutely beautiful. Bring a tide table though. June through August is a good time of the year, it might be foggy on the coast but otherwise it is usually pretty nice.

If this years weather (rain) continues I would recommend going to the north east side of the park. You can day hike on the coast but the only real access is in La Push or Neah Bay. The visitors center at Hurricane Ridge is also very nice and a good place to visit even in the rain. In the winter of 98-99 there was so much snow up there that the peak of the roof was no longer visible. Better yet, go to the east side of Rainier! I'm a little biased because except for two years in Michigan I have been living on the rainy coast since 1994. I'm tired of rain :)

Have you thought about heading east? Camping and fishing on the John Day and then heading up to the Eagle Cap Wilderness and Hell's Canyon?

1:53 a.m. on June 8, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
76 forum posts

I will definitely have to head to the Olympic NP this summer.

Dm1333, I have lived in Washington my whole life so i have had to hike in the rain since i was tiny. now i have outfitted myself with a lovely pair of raingear and am welcome to a wet weekend. However i have not really looked into the eastside of the state much, and will take a look into the Eagle cap wilderness and Hell's Canyon. The names alone are quite intriguing 8)

Thank You all so much for the suggestions I will look into them for summer hikes and hopefully get some pictures posted for everyone

12:31 p.m. on June 9, 2010 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,679 reviewer rep
1,138 forum posts

For a longer trip, you might like to hike through the Alpine Lakes Wilderness on the PCT. I did it with a buddy when I was 15 and solo when I was 16 and it took ten and seven days. You start at Stevens or Snoqualmie Pass and hike from one to the other. I think its 68-72 miles depending on any side trips you take. You can aslo bail off the PCT early and hike out to a trailhead if you don't have the time to go all the way through.

The route the PCT takes is amazing and really pleasant in early August. Email me if you want more info. Don't skip on any chances you have to go into the Mtns. After college, free time disappears fast!

1:14 p.m. on June 9, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
76 forum posts

Ah I have always wanted to do bits and pieces of the PCT but was unsure were to start or what to try to do first, that sounds like an excellent way to start it, the greatest part is I can do the same thing when I go to Oregon for school again.

I will do a bit of research on the trail and may just take you up on your offer to get a bit of extra information.

Another trail I'd love to do someday is the Wonderland trail, just need to get my brother and do it when we get the time.

4:19 p.m. on June 12, 2010 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
21 forum posts

Im planning a backpack trip near mount saint helens, exploring a washed out area, I'm planning on one of the trails that leads along the 8100 road.

8:27 p.m. on June 12, 2010 (EDT)
10 reviewer rep
459 forum posts

Wonderland Trail around Mt Rainier. You can 'section hike' it between road ends if you have a way for somebody to pick you up/drop you off. If you go from Nickle Creek counter clock wise to Longmire you could probably do this in 5-6 days depending upon your speed. The part between Longmire and Nickle are not the best ... you will be missing little.

The latest in the summer you can schedule this the better because of bugs and snow. First week in September was perfect for us. You have to have permits and permission to stay at specified camps. Should do this soon if you are interested.

There are many organized groups including the Sierra Club around Seattle/Portland areas. For example:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/seattlehiking/

They would have plenty of recommendations as would REI if you drop in at chat with them.

April 23, 2014
Quick Reply