See ya'll Monday

9:34 a.m. on June 19, 2010 (EDT)
225 reviewer rep
4,364 forum posts

I am going off on a three day hike up into the Inner Basin of the San Francsico Peaks today. I will go to a place called Shultz Pass, then follow the Pipeline road to Lockett Meadow. The pipeline road is not open to the public and is basically a old forestry road built with a gas and water line beneath it.

Tomorrow after camping at Lockett Meadow I will dayhike up into the Inner Basin Interior Valley which is the few 100 million year old volcanic crater on the east side of the peaks. The highest point above me will be Mt Humphrays which is 12,633 ft, I will be at over 9000 feet at the highest point in the basin.

This map shows my entire route from the bottom at Shultz Pass, alone the Pipeline Road (on the east/right hand side) to the Lockett Meadows and the Inner Basin.

This map shows the Inner Basin where I will be dayhiking tomorrow.. The redline is the Wilderness Boundry. The road/trails are in the center of the map.

There is still lots of snow at higher elevations melting and there are many springs along the way. The main spring is called Flagstaff Spring and it has been piped to town since the early 1900s.

I will be back out on Monday and will have pictures and route descriptions to share.

Have a good weekend!

10:49 a.m. on June 19, 2010 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,567 forum posts

Have a safe & fun trip Gary, I'm looking forward to some photos.

1:01 p.m. on June 19, 2010 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
649 forum posts

I hope its a good trip for you.

7:45 p.m. on June 20, 2010 (EDT)
225 reviewer rep
4,364 forum posts

Well, it ain't monday, but...

I had to cut the hiking trip short because of lack of water. I hiked on Saturday all the way up to the Inner Basin to find that all the springs there to be tapped for city water. Each one had a tank embedded in it with no way to get to the water. Bummer! I took three liters of water with me, drank 2 on the way to where I had sat up camp after about 10 miles. So I went back to my camp, packed up my stuff and headed back the way I had come to Shultz Pass and camped last night in the forest near it. This morning I hiked out and hitched back to town. But I did get some nice veiws and pictures along the way.

It is too dry here to be without enough water. I got bad leg cramps from the lack of proper hydration.

I saw many cyclists and a few runner's come up the road. I only saw one other hiker as I came back.

The San Francisco Peaks from the hwy entrance to the Shultz Pass Road. Where I hiked to is around the east side of the peaks below that shorter peak.

Beginning of road with a closed sign to motor vehicles, only hiking, bicycles and horse's allowed beyond this point.

First view thru the trees to the east looking over all the volcanic cinder cones. View is about 100 miles.

Volcanic ridge covers road so a small tunnel was cut thru it. The road to the right is the way I came.

View of tunnel thru volcanic rock

Another view of the fasinating volcanic ridge with some Aspens along the roadside

View back south to Mt Elden 6 miles away

Another volcanic ridge along the Pipeline Road

On the way back Mtn Bikers pass me and go thru the volcanic tunnel

Sign at begiining of Pipeline road

8:22 p.m. on June 20, 2010 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
649 forum posts

Gary Sorry to hear about the shortened trip but with no water what can you do. They should have a couple of them tapped with a spigot or something you can get some water. That could be a potentially dangerous issue.

11:50 a.m. on June 21, 2010 (EDT)
225 reviewer rep
4,364 forum posts

Looks like it was good to get out of the area as they have a huge forest fire there now

Up In Smoke: Schultz fire chars 5,000 acres; 750 homes evacuated

Thats the San Francisco Peaks just to the ower left of the smoke. Photo taken by a local area resident yesterday. Must have blown up just after I left Sunday morning! Looks like a volcano eruption plume...

3:42 p.m. on June 21, 2010 (EDT)
27 reviewer rep
200 forum posts

That's what they get for tapping your water, Gary. =)

12:46 a.m. on June 22, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
118 forum posts

Wow, never going to make you mad.

9:49 p.m. on June 22, 2010 (EDT)
225 reviewer rep
4,364 forum posts

The whole area along that first map I posted above is now all burnt away, 12,000 acres worth. The whole east side of the San Francisco Peaks is gone! I was about to camp in Lockett Meadows where I could find no water near by. Had I camped now I may have woke to a wall of flames around my camp and been a rescuee, rather than hiking out on my own. Lockett Meadow is gone.

This fire reminds me of the Yellowstone fire in the summer of 1988. I lived in Jackson that summer, my 8th summer at that time. In Jackson 80 miles south, one could not see across the street thru the smoke.

11:52 a.m. on June 24, 2010 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,149 forum posts

Wow. Glad you weren't there and are ok, Gary.

December 26, 2014
Quick Reply