Lamarck Col, Darwin Basin info?

3:25 p.m. on June 21, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
5 forum posts

Hi, I'm hoping to hike into Darwin Basin from the North Lake Trailhead, over Piute Pass and Lamarck Col, early July. I have heard that snow has been hanging around longer than usual this summer in the Sierras and I'm curious if anyone has information on the conditions at Lamarck Col and in Darwin Basin?

Any beta would be much appreciated..Thanks!

Dara

12:14 a.m. on June 22, 2010 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,295 forum posts

Yes, snow was deep this year. And you will have to cross snow to get to Darwin Basin. It is melting fast, however, so your big problem will be stream crossings. Not a good time just yet for solo trips, thanks to the stream crossings. Take care, and maybe put the trip off until August.

Oh, and typical of heavy snow years - take lots of bug spray/ The mosquitoes are already thick.

10:48 p.m. on June 22, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
5 forum posts

Thanks! I figured as much about the bugs... Unfortunately just have a window of time in July to get away this year, but maybe will explore somewhere lower in elevation

10:57 a.m. on June 23, 2010 (EDT)
10 reviewer rep
475 forum posts

Here is a recent pic of conditions last weekend just east of Bishop Pass. Long Lake is 10,700 (out of South Lake)

http://www.backpacker.com/cgi-bin/forums/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=603107219;t=9991138642

And a bit closer to your area out of Lake Sabrina:

http://www.backpacker.com/cgi-bin/forums/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=603107219;t=9991138575

This time of year on other than big snow winters, by July 1 you would be hitting full ground coverage only above 11,000. Some of the passes this year will be interesting even up until first week of August.

Plan on some postholing and sun cups in some areas. You won't make as many miles a day on snow as on dirt.

Early north bound PCT hikers are pretty much through the higher country of the Sierra, if that is any consolation. Not a lot of hikers have being reported floundering down stream yet :)

I think you can expect snow cover going over Piute Pass at 11,400' probably into late August. But hikers/skiers have been up in the area since March - even this year. Just depends if you want clean snow or dirty mud ....

It is still going to be a spectacular hike.

7:34 p.m. on July 9, 2010 (EDT)
10 reviewer rep
475 forum posts

http://www.backpacker.com/cgi-bin/forums/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=603107219;t=9991139171

Piute Pass snow conditions last week. Take strawberry and raspberry syrup. Unlimited snow cones this year.

10:22 a.m. on July 24, 2010 (EDT)
10 reviewer rep
475 forum posts

What a difference a month makes!

From North to South Lakes just finished yesterday (7/22) was a bit buggy, but no snow of consequence. Muir pass had a trench path. A beautiful trip for anybody wanting a serious hike.

Check with Bishop Pack Outfitters, (760)873-4785 for a ride to/from South Lake. They are in the North Lake parking lot. Also Parchers Resort 1 mi South of South Lake can do the shuttle as well.

September 21, 2014
Quick Reply