About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Rocky Mountain National Park....

10:19 p.m. on July 10, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
5 forum posts

Alright, people. It is opinion time!

My uncle and I are headed to RMNP next Sunday through Thursday. We are looking for opinions on the "best" and most scenic DAY HIKES. We do have a couple of hikes in mind but would like some more ideas from others.

THANKS ALL

12:22 a.m. on July 15, 2010 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,219 reviewer rep
5,181 forum posts

The two most fun day hikes I took in RMNP were up to Boulder Field campsite and back (leisurely and lots of photos), and to the summit of Long's via the Keyhole and back. The first part of the Long's Peak one is the same to the Boulder Field. There was another that was interesting just off the scenic highway, though I forget right now what the name of it was.

The scenery on the Long's hike is really spectacular. Plus as you pass through the Boulder Field campsite, it's fun to watch the marmots figuring out how to get in people's packs, no matter how sophisticated precautions they take.

6:08 p.m. on July 15, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
5 forum posts

Actually the Long's Peak trail is one of the hikes that we have planned. The other one that we have set in stone is Glacier Gorge, I beleive.

8:31 p.m. on July 20, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
263 forum posts

Your kinda on the same side of the park with both hikes........ You may want to go over the pass. Just a suggestion.

10:14 a.m. on July 24, 2010 (EDT)
10 reviewer rep
459 forum posts

Out of Bear Lake anything up such as the Loch (crowded and paved) and then up to Andrews Glacier (you can walk up the glacier and down Flattop trail - not recommended by the park, however) and Tarn or alternatively Sky Pond.

Or Mills Lake or Black Lake.

Flattop Mountain Trail to Hallett, Otis or even Taylor Peaks

http://www.topo.com/explore?lat=40.30136050976065&lng=-105.67181396484375&level=6&type=topo

If near Longs/Boulder Field, don't miss a side jaunt to Chasm Lake. Spectacular view of the East Face.

4:49 a.m. on July 29, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
8 forum posts

I used to do day hikes all the time when I was younger in RMNP with my family it is a beautiful place.

Cub lake down in Moraine park is a really nice trail and one that I personally always enjoyed hiking along with Bear lake. There are also a few good trails on the west side of the park. I will look into and get back to you on the trail names but the few moose that are in the park usually stay on the west side so that would be your best chance of seeing one if you are intrested in that.

April 18, 2014
Quick Reply