Short trip to King's Canyon

10:07 p.m. on July 20, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

Hi all,

I'm hoping to take a trip out to King's Canyon or Sequoia National Park in early August for 4 or 5 days. I'm recovering from a knee injury, so we'll be car-camping most of the time, but would love to be able to do a night or two of (easy) backpacking in there as well.

Any suggestions as to places we could backpack out to?

Thanks in advance for any ideas!

A.

1:09 a.m. on July 21, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
374 forum posts

If you want an easy overnight trip from the west side, there are a few decent options, although to get to most of the really nice high country takes more time.

If you like to stay in a canyon, go to Paradise Valley out of Road's End. If you like high lakes, check out Emerald/Pear Lakes out of Wolverton, or Franklin Lake out of Mineral King.

The difficulty will be getting permits, especially to Paradise Valley. Check here to see current availability:

http://www.nps.gov/seki/planyourvisit/reservation-availability.htm

If I had to choose between those options, I would take Franklin Lake, it's a nice location six miles from the trailhead:

2:37 p.m. on July 21, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

Thanks! Those look like some great suggestions.

I was also reading about some areas in the Hoover wilderness, where it's possible to be out for 4 or 5 days doing a loop, but without too much of an elevation change or heavy-duty hiking to deal with.

Does anybody have any suggestions for a trip out in that area?

Thanks again for all your info!

9:58 a.m. on July 24, 2010 (EDT)
10 reviewer rep
485 forum posts

The west side of the Sierra generally have a long and steady approach to the high area. This contrasts the more aggressive east side that starts high and goes higher quicker.

Sequoia has a deceptively easy looking hike from Crescent Meadows to BearPaw Meadows. Although it looks to follow a contour it does a considerable amount of 'undulations' along that contour. The trip could be done in two days (watching the knees) or a long first day (and last day out). The other option is to ride in or out on a horse and stay at the backpackers camp ground rather than at the 'inn'. From normally crowded Bearpaw you could do some unladen day hikes up toward Hamilton or Tamarack Lakes. It is the start of some extremely beautiful Sierra best scenery - the High Sierra Trail.

In Hoover there is the beautiful and generally liesurely 20 Lakes trail. Take a book, make it short days and enjoy the serenity.

Jennie Lakes Wilderness area doesn't have a whole lot for 4-5 days of packing, but should probably be a consideration.

Or just enjoy a good set of comfortable day hikes (or a couple of overnights in different places) that will fit the needs of how your knees feel that day.

November 24, 2014
Quick Reply