The Bob

1:42 a.m. on July 21, 2010 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

I will be up at Bob Stratton Bald this weekend, and will be doing some day hiking in the area as well.

My main question is for Tipi or others who might know the best water source(s) at the bald, and also out Naked Ground, Hao, and Hangover.

Looking at the map, It looks like the headwaters of Sand Creek, off the SE side of the bald would be the best, but things don't always turn out the way the look on the map.

I am taking some younger folks out for some of their first backpacking, and figure we may need to fill up while out away from camp, so info the best/easiest sources out Naked Ground and Hangover would be fantastic as well.

Maybe I will see some of you out there!

2:04 a.m. on July 21, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
263 forum posts

"The Bob" will always be the Bob Marshal to me. Not to denigrate your Bob.

8:40 p.m. on July 21, 2010 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,481 forum posts

That's cool, I was just looking at the Bob on Google earth the other day along with Oswald Dome.

I don't know the area well enough to help with water Gonzan, but I hope you have a great time, and the new people too.

12:45 a.m. on July 22, 2010 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

Thanks Trout, I will try to get some photos of the trip and post them a little more quickly when i get back.

11:16 p.m. on July 25, 2010 (EDT)
16 reviewer rep
56 forum posts

Hey sounds like a good trip Gonz

Ive been thru Joyce Kilmer-Slickrock a couple times but never made it to the famous Bob Bald or Hangover surprisingly enough. keep us posted on how it all works out. Couple buddies of mine attempted to make it up there last Winter during that big freeze... didn't make it up the skyway. haha, had to postpone it and ended up goin back a couple months back and loved it.

Hope yall have a great time

12:24 p.m. on July 26, 2010 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

I am back from the trip, and will hopefully post a report about it shortly. The Bob really lives up to the reputation- a truly fantastic spot.

8:59 p.m. on July 27, 2010 (EDT)
225 reviewer rep
1,194 forum posts

It looks like you all made it back out and also found the water. It was great meeting you and say hello to Jesse and his wife. I will eventually get around to posting the trip fotogs but still I have another trip to add before ours.

9:12 a.m. on July 28, 2010 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

Tipi,

It was wonderful meeting you out there as well. I will be sure to tell Jesse and Aline you said hello.

I am going to try to get the photos up tonight, along with another report on the whigg visit from two weeks ago.

Renegade,

You should definitely make it up there when you can, it is one of the most beautiful areas of the Citico and Nantahala I have been. Be sure to sheck out the photos when I get them up, i got some great shots out on the Hangover.

September 23, 2014
Quick Reply