Need Partner-Kings Canyon NP 10day-Middle Fork Kings, Tehipite, Mather, Palisade Cr

3:11 p.m. on August 6, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
17 forum posts

This is my first post, hi everybody! Who wants to do an epic trip touring Kings Canyon NP backcountry? I need a partner. Preferably female like myself, but a nice guy would be great. The mighty Middle Fork Kings River trail and Tehipite Valley AND Mather Pass and a section of the Sierra High Route (a tame section) OR we can do this all on-trail.
Fri 8/27-Labor Day 9/6, 11-day BP in the most remote and least visited areas of Kings Canyon NP! 2 options: on-trail, or with some XC.
On-trail: Cedar Grove / Pinchot Pass / Mather Pass / Middle Fork Kings (MF Kings) / Tehipite Valley / Wishon Res.
Trail + XC: Cedar Grove / Granite Basin / Cirque Crest High Route / Cartridge Pass / Mather Pass / Middle Fork Kings (MF Kings) / Tehipite Valley / Wishon Res.
I Enjoy BP 10-14 mi/day on-trail, 7-9 if xc, and eating fresh trout. REALLY tired of solo trips, mainly for safety reasons.
I'm off-line til 8/12, on a trip into Blackcap Basin, etc, but SEND AN EMAIL anyways thanks!

1:07 a.m. on August 7, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
52 forum posts

That sound like a great trip. Maybe next year. Please post when completed.

M

8:11 p.m. on August 8, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
372 forum posts

That's a great trip, I did something similar in 2007 - in at Rancheria, down to Tehipite, up the Middle Fork to Palisade Creek, then over Mather and Pinchot passes to exit at Roads End. A lot of great scenery, and on the section from Crown Valley to the JMT junction at Palisade Creek we did not see another person. Tehipite is renowned for bears and rattlesnakes, but I saw none (but plenty of bear scat everywhere).

I'd be tempted to take you up on it, but I'm leaving Friday 8/14 on another trip - Copper Creek over Granite Pass, then the High Route to Lake Basin, over Cartridge Pass and to Bench Lake, then back down the South Fork/Muro Blanco to exit at Roads End. I thought I had a decent group and got a permit accordingly, but now it looks like it will be just me and one other person.

7:14 p.m. on August 13, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
17 forum posts

I just got back from a 5.5-day bp into Blackcap Basin and Bench Valley, out of Wishon Res, solo because I couldn't find partners. The fishing was great! And the Blackcap pass was more difficult than I hoped on the west side. I probably just didn't find the easiest route down.

I would have so much loved to do this trip with you! If only we had met sooner... Darn! You know, there are so many places I want to go, on my list. Blue Canyon to upper Goddard Creek, to Goddard Canyon, for example. Ionian Basin and down Enchanted gorge. The Muro Blanco bushwack. I have had these places on my list for years, not wanting to do them solo... But this is the first year I have actively tried to use the web for networking.

6:36 p.m. on August 16, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
17 forum posts

Lambertiana, is there a way to send you a direct email from Trailspace? I live near you, and would like to talk to you about maybe doing a trip together. You can email me at keiodrums at sbcglobal dot net. I know you are, right now, doing part of the hike I want to be doing next week. IF I find a partner. I just don't think it's prudent to solo hike that remote place.

8:17 p.m. on August 21, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

Hey -

I was just reading your post. I always go solo too. I had hoped to get up to the Sequoia/Kings area the same time you are going up, but I may have to push it back a week to leaving September 3, and returning the 12th. I generally never go that late, but because of work, I may have to. It makes me a bit more nervous since most of the front country staff will be gone, and not sure if they pull out a lot of the backcountry staff.

So - my timing may not be great to plan something this year, but maybe next season. I was actually thinking of going up to Kings this year and maybe the Granite Pass area. Nothing has yet been planned out, but am definitely going.

be safe.

Vicki.

2:59 p.m. on August 23, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
372 forum posts

Cheetahwok - I just sent you an e-mail with details from the trip, as well as possibilities for the future. Suffice it to say that events on the trip only solidified my wife's insistence that I not do these trips alone.

10:37 p.m. on August 24, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
17 forum posts

I found a partner for my 10-day trip, leaving tomorrow, but in a completely different area.

So I am still looking for s.o. who wants to go up (or down) the Middle Fork of the Kings, perhaps late this season or even next year. Including some XC, maybe along the Monarch Divide using Cartridge Pass. Or that could be 2 different trips. I'll be gone for 10 days, will respond when I get back.

2:48 a.m. on August 31, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

Still looking for a partner to go on another trip - let me know when you get back. I still haven't taken my trip.

12:31 p.m. on September 7, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
17 forum posts

I'm back!

October 2, 2014
Quick Reply