hiking in the berkshires (Or in Massachusetts/NY/Vermont/CT in general)

10:35 p.m. on September 23, 2010 (EDT)
3 reviewer rep
29 forum posts

I know it is not that well known of an area but I am from Berkshire County in western mass. I was wondering if anyone has hiked around there and what their favorite trails are. (Or in Massachusetts/NY/Vermont/CT in general)

Some of my favorites in western mass are part of the Appalachian trail that travels over Mount Greylock, the Busby Trail to Spruce hill overlook at Savoy State Forest in Florida, Ma and Bash Bish Falls in Mount Washington.

I go home to visit a few times a year and I am always looking for new hikes in these areas or some I have done but forgotten. Please share if you know of any. :o)

~Shell

8:40 p.m. on September 26, 2010 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,329 reviewer rep
5,258 forum posts

As it happens, I just spent the past 10 days hiking and camping in New England, including the Berkshires. When Barb and I lived in Boston (1970s), we were in the Berkshires a fair amount. Yesterday I was in CT on Frissel and Bear Mtn and the day before on the section of the AT that goes over Greylock. One thing you did not mention is that there is backpacking with good remote campsites in the Berkshires and on the Long Trail in VT.
I have a guide to hiking in western MA from the 70s, but don't know if it is still in print.

10:44 p.m. on September 26, 2010 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,699 reviewer rep
1,299 forum posts

I know of quite a few trails in CT. My favorite trails in CT are the AT, Tunxis Trail, Metacomet Trail, Mattabasset Trail, Pachaug Trail, Nipmuck and Nachaug Trails.

There are lots more, but those are alot of the main ones. Some have established campsites that require a permit from the DEP. Which is free, you just have to write them or call them and they will email you a permit.

For the other trails, camping permission can usually easily be obtained by talking to the appropiate agenieces. I.e. town clerks of the towns the trail passes through, or private organizations such as land conservancies etc. A little research goes a long way here. I found the website ctxguide.com to be especially helpful. He has documented alot of information on where you can camp and who you need to contact.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask. I know the CT trails quite well.

August 2, 2014
Quick Reply