New England Recommendations

11:30 a.m. on December 15, 2010 (EST)
38 reviewer rep
13 forum posts

I've got a problem when it comes to backpacking.  Namely, I didn't grow up here, and I don't have any friends who are the least bit interested in doing stuff outdoors.  What can I say?  I work in showbiz.  Some of these people haven't even seen DAYLIGHT in years.  And my wife?  Not a chance.  You never met such a city girl.  I could talk her into letting me have a girlfriend before I could talk her into taking a hike.  Her dad has a "camp" in New Hampshire.  That "camp" is a house that's nicer than our house.

But I digress.

My point is that I have the gear, I have the background, and I have some books, but what I don't have is first-hand knowledge of good hikes.  The White Mountains have been recommended (on here, even!), and Vermont seems like an obvious place to try, but I don't know what I don't know, you know?

Here's what I'm looking for:  few people, pretty scenery, good tenting, and, if possible, someplace to get a fly line wet along the way.  

I know it's the middle of December, but my life is such that I gotta plan stuff early or it won't happen.  I need to put my dibs in for summer soon.  Any suggestions?  Thanks in advance!

12:18 p.m. on December 15, 2010 (EST)
87 reviewer rep
1,061 forum posts

TimmyMac I get the picture. Your wife likes the commons for shopping and your the one who needs to get away from the hussle and bustle. LOL

This is what I have because its been a long time since I'v been to Mass. Lanesboro. Mass (NW) mass Part of the appalachian trail. Also you have the appalachian mountain club in Boston if that helps. But here's a number you can call they may be able to answer more or someone else when they see your post. (413) 499-4262. I hope this helps a little.

12:48 p.m. on December 15, 2010 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,741 reviewer rep
1,308 forum posts

TimmyMac, may I ask where you are located? I am in Bristol, CT (a little west of hartford) and take quite a few trips a year, and go on even more day hikes. I am never against driving a couple hours for a trip.

Most of my experience in the Northeast is limited to CT, and the ADK area of NY.

1:25 p.m. on December 15, 2010 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
588 reviewer rep
3,024 forum posts

TimmyMac, welcome to Trailspace and to New England. I grew up in Connecticut and now live in Maine.

There is tons of hiking and backpacking in New England. So you needn't worry on that point. If you want to see less people, winter is an excellent time to get out there (just be honest about your ability level).

I don't know your specific skill level and background, but there are lots of easy to moderate hikes in Southern New Hampshire and Massachusetts, so you can immediately get out and get your bearings and go from there.

You certainly should check out the White Mountains in New Hampshire, and consider the Long Trail in Vermont.

If you don't have these books already, I recommend getting copies of the Appalachian Mountain Club (AMC)'s trail guidebooks to Massachusetts, New Hampshire, and/or Vermont, and well anywhere that strikes your fancy. (I'd recommend Maine for sure, but that's a bit farther away for you.) Some of the books come with topo maps.

http://amcstore.outdoors.org/amcstore/dept.asp?s_id=0&dept_name=Hiking+Guides&dept_id=3012&WT.svl=deptnav2

For firsthand knowledge, or just other people to get out with, consider joining the AMC (I second denis's suggestion above). They have chapters that lead trips or teach classes on skills all the time. Perhaps you'll see some trips on your local chapter's schedule that sound interesting.

If nothing else, you'll get an introduction to some new spots and meet other local hikers. Even if you're not into group hikes, joining the AMC can help clue you in to where other local hikers are heading or give you the chance to visit some new places you might not do on your own.

Good luck.

1:36 p.m. on December 15, 2010 (EST)
38 reviewer rep
13 forum posts

Rambler, I'm in Melrose, Mass.  Nice place, and right smack in the Middlesex Fells, so day hikes and geocaching are super convenient.

I've got the AMC Best Backpacking in New England book, which has some promising looking hikes in there.  Joining the AMC ain't a bad idea, either.

I never realized people could be FROM Connecticut...  ;-)

4:23 p.m. on December 15, 2010 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,741 reviewer rep
1,308 forum posts

Wow wow wow, slow down there killer. No one said anything about being "from" connecticut lol. I am FROM the great state of Mississippi, but somehow jumped out of a perfecttly good airplane and got stuck here in CT.

5:26 p.m. on December 15, 2010 (EST)
87 reviewer rep
1,061 forum posts

Noone jumps out a perfectly good airplane Rambler. There's not such a thing. Maybe pushed! :-)"

5:36 p.m. on December 15, 2010 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
588 reviewer rep
3,024 forum posts

Wow wow wow, slow down there killer. No one said anything about being "from" connecticut lol. I am FROM the great state of Mississippi, but somehow jumped out of a perfecttly good airplane and got stuck here in CT.

I, however, admitted to being a native of Connecticut above.

6:23 p.m. on December 15, 2010 (EST)
38 reviewer rep
13 forum posts

I, however, admitted to being a native of Connecticut above.

I just checked out your photos from Mount Ranier.  I'm going to stop teasing you about Connecticut because you are obviously WAY tougher than me!

7:46 p.m. on December 15, 2010 (EST)
26 reviewer rep
241 forum posts

AMC Boston has a forum like this one with lots of advie about New England hikes especially in the White.  You do not have to be a member to join in the discussions or post questions.  AMC Boston publishes a newsletter that list lots of opportunities to join hikes every month of the year.

http://www.trails.com/activity.aspx?area=15598

Fy fishing in NH:

http://www.vacationwhitemountains.com/Fly-Fishing-in-New-Hampshire.html

Look into a day hike up Mt. Monadnock.  A couple of hours from Boston, it has many trail options (eg. Toll Road fewer people) each will give you an excellent sample of what hiking is like in New Hampshire including a bald summit above the tree line.  (near Jaffrey, NH)

http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/1244941491045831896BPowPl

11:56 p.m. on December 15, 2010 (EST)
82 reviewer rep
5 forum posts

Try AMCMaine.org  We have lots of year round activities.  Hikes, snowshoes, skiing, bike rides, kayak trips, canoe trips, training...  You do not need to be an AMC member to participate either.

10:04 a.m. on December 16, 2010 (EST)
38 reviewer rep
13 forum posts

Oh, wow!  Thanks, everyone.  Checking out the AMC(s) and Mt. Monadnock now...excellent recommendations.

10:17 a.m. on December 16, 2010 (EST)
36 reviewer rep
148 forum posts

I`ve been through all the New England states. I would say anywhere it`s legal to walk into and set up camp would be great as it`s so beautiful anywhere up there.

12:50 p.m. on December 16, 2010 (EST)
121 reviewer rep
590 forum posts

TimmyMac -

my recommendation is the same from your other post - anywhere in the White Mountains of NH are incredible, prestine backcountry that have amazing views, challenges, and rewards.

I know a decent amount about some of the areas as right now it's one of the only places I go to hike and climb, so let me know if you want more specifics, I'm glad to help.

1:28 p.m. on December 16, 2010 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
588 reviewer rep
3,024 forum posts

As you can see, you won't want for choices in New England, TimmyMac.

Good luck. Let us know where you head first with a Trip Report. Maybe Monadnock? Now would be a good time to do it. It is extremely popular in summer.

4:06 p.m. on December 16, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
40 forum posts

Personally New Hampshire is a whole lot higher on my list than Vermont. The Camel's Hump is however a great hike, botany you will not find anywhere else in addition to the views across the CT river Valley to the Whites.

My favorite dayhike out East is the Asquam Ridge up Mt. Blue, AT south to Moosilaukee and S. Peak of Moosilaukee, down the Snapper and Gorge Brook Trails. The view Northeast to the Franconias and the Preidentials is magic. You trailhead is not 2 hours from Beantown.

I'd also do the Osceolas from Greeley Ponds. I found a small piece of land there where camping is permitted too. If you can shuttle go from Tripoli Road to Greeley Ponds and the Kancamagus.

BACKAPCK THE BONDS. The Pemi [gewasset] is exqusiite.

I section hiked the AT from the CT River to Katahdin. Baxter is awesome, but a haul. My favorite CT section is Glencliff north through the Franconias. The Franconia Ridge is unequivocally one of the greatest dayhikes of the world let alone New England.

I saw Aerosmiths 10th Anniversary in Melrose back in...never mind. Have a "wicked good' time Timmy.

6:57 a.m. on December 17, 2010 (EST)
38 reviewer rep
13 forum posts

Right on, Krumholz Kid!  Thanks!

There's a couple loop hikes in the Pemi in the AMC Best Backpacking book, and they were on my short list to try anyway.  With your rec, I think they're number one with a bullet!

7:27 a.m. on December 17, 2010 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
595 reviewer rep
671 forum posts

Here's an old trip report about an even older trip mostly along the AT in the Pemi:

http://www.trailspace.com/forums/trip-reports/topics/77189.html#77189

I'll second the Kid's recommendation on the Bonds, but also including Guyot -- not much of a summit in the pointy-craggy sense but it's unusual and beautiful and about as far out there as you can get in the Whites.

9:17 a.m. on December 17, 2010 (EST)
38 reviewer rep
13 forum posts

Oh, man...that's a great trip report.  Beautiful photos!  I'm sold!

12:18 p.m. on December 17, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
78 forum posts

The White Mountains are beautiful in forest and ridge. I support the above recommendations. I spent a week hiking the Presidential's many years ago - a fond memory. You'll need a place(s) to stay. For extended hiking versus day hikes and motels, you'll need two cars or plan on out and return(s). I went to the AMC site and copied the following for you: AMC's White Mountain Lodges and Huts recognized as a 2010 Best of New England/Editors’ Choice "Best Mountain Escape" in Yankee Magazine’s Travel Guide to New England. http://www.outdoors.org/lodging/whitemountains/

1:37 p.m. on December 17, 2010 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
588 reviewer rep
3,024 forum posts

The AMC also runs shuttles at certain times of year. So you don't have to be restricted to loops or out-and-backs. However, you'll have to take into account the shuttle schedule if meeting it or using it to drop a car.

When Dave and I did a one-day Presi Traverse this July, we ended by 4, but still too late for the particular shuttle we needed. But, you can also arrange to have a cab meet you, if you're too far for a road walk. That's what we did in this case. It wasn't cheap, but doing the traverse was my birthday gift, so it was justified.

If you need an inexpensive spot for lodging outside of a tent, consider Joe Dodge Lodge at Pinkham Notch (it's cheaper if you're an AMC member). There are also campgrounds in the White Mountain National Forest, for when you're not sleeping on the trail. Though you may need to plan ahead during busy times of year.

http://www.recreation.gov/

Nice trip report, BigRed. Lafayette is one of my favorite peaks. I enjoyed seeing your pictures of all those great peaks. Here are a few winter pictures from Lafayette:

P2230008.jpg

P2230014.jpg

P2230030.jpg

FYI, since it hasn't been mentioned above, the Green Mountain Club is the organization to look into for Vermont hiking, specifically on the Long Trail: https://www.greenmountainclub.org/

I won't add any more, since I think TimmyMac could be busy for years with all the possibilities above.

3:14 p.m. on December 17, 2010 (EST)
38 reviewer rep
13 forum posts

Oh, wow...that shuttle service makes a HUGE difference, doesn't it?

Looks like me and some maps are gonna get real intimate this weekend...

3:49 p.m. on December 17, 2010 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
588 reviewer rep
3,024 forum posts

They already have posted the White Mountain Hiker Shuttle Map and Schedule for 2011.

http://www.outdoors.org/lodging/lodging-shuttle.cfm

The AMC Hiker Shuttle operates daily from June 2 through September 11, and on weekends and holidays from September 17 through October 16, and consists of two shuttle buses. When planning your visit, we recommend taking the shuttle at the start of your trip and hiking back to your car.

1:52 p.m. on January 18, 2011 (EST)
3 reviewer rep
29 forum posts

Hi TimmyMac, I grew up in the Berkshires in western Mass. New England has so many great hikes. I would definitely recommend Mount Greylock, the tallest mountain in Mass. From the top you can see 5 different states. You can hike up the mountain if you wish, or drive up and they have a primitive campground at the top. The AT also runs up and over the mountain.  Also, a lesser known hike that is gorgeous in spring/summer/fall is the Busby Trail up to Spruce Hill overlook at Savoy State Forest. Also, from Savoy you can drive along Route 2/Mohawk Trail around hairpin turn for some great views.
IMG_3697.jpg
Lots of wildflowers, great mountain views and very few people. Another hike I would recommend is Bash Bish Falls. You can get to the park from either Mass or NY state.

August 29, 2014
Quick Reply