Jackson WY with family

3:30 p.m. on May 11, 2011 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
4 forum posts

I am planning to go to Jackson WY for almost 3 weeks in August

I will go with wife, 2 and 4 year old daughters (as well as potentially aunt and cousin).

Apart from the usual "relaxed tourist" stuff I would like (negotiating with wife) to make a couple of full day or overnight climbs to the Tetons as well as a overnight or two night rock climb to the Cirgue of Towers.

I would like to save money on accommodation and I suppose renting a short term apartment condo could be one idea. I am considering the option of camping but I am not sure how it would fly with wife...

I'd like to know if it would make sense to rent car for the entire period or if it could be interesting to rent it only for the initial and final portion of the stay. Alternatively if public transportation there would be convenient or not.

I suppose that the closer I will stay to Jackson town itself I could spend more on accommodation and maybe less on transportation...

I am from Brazil so even if I would like to save money I also want to take advantage of the time (day off from work) and money invested in the airfare and such so if some extra money has to be spent to enjoy more the stay I would definitely go that direction.

I will get a couple of books soon (Moon one and another one on easy hikes/trails) nevertheless I wanted some advices from the kind and competent TS friends.

Finally I am looking at guides for climbing, collected a lot of information regarding Exum Guides and wondering if there are other solutions.

It would be awesome if I could take wife and daughters to the Cirque of Towers however I am not sure if it will be too much hiking or not... I and wife could carry them for a big portion of the hike on specific backpack but I guess we would need help from others to carry tent, food and such.

9:18 p.m. on May 11, 2011 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,135 forum posts

Snake_River_with_Teton_Range_in_backgrou

I lived in JH for 30 summers (1980-2009).

You could stay at the Youth Hostel at the Bunkhouse in the Anvil Motel at:

Bunkhouse 215 N Cache Dr, Jackson, WY 83001 (307) 733-3668

Its cheaper than a motel in Jackson.

Jackson_Hole_Barn_at_Mormon_Row.jpg

As far as hiking you need to get a permit in GTNP (Grand Teton Nat park) before the trip(s). Thats at the backcountry office at Jenny lake.  Cascade Canyon is a nice hike from around Jenny lake to the pass between Grand Teton and Mt Moran. Also for a good easy hike for the wife and kids along, go to Teton Village and take the Aerial Tram to Rendezvous and then dayhike back down to Teton Village via Granite Canyon. Its a 12 mile hike almost all downhill.

Aerial-Tram-to-Rendezvous-Hike.jpg

If you want to see Buffalo in Teton Park, drive 4 miles north of Jackson on the highway to Yellowstone and take the road to Kelly. Turn left at the next road east of the Gros Ventre Campground and go to Mormon Row. There are usually always Bison (Buffalo) along this graded dirt road. You can then get back to the parks highway by going west and around Blacktail Butte. Then turn south on the parks hightway and go to Dornan's and take the road west across the Snake River to Moose WY and the south entrance to GTNP or go south before the entrance on the Wilson/Moose road which will take you past Teton Village and along the east side of the Teton Range.

JH-WY-Downtown.jpg

If you want to camp before going to the parks, look up info for the Slide Lake area or Curtis Canyon campgrounds online. Also the above mentioned Gros Ventre camp is nice right on the east side of Teton park along the river by the same name.

Cirgue-of-Towers.jpg

To climb or hike to the Cirgue of Towers you will have to drive(?) over to Lander WY on the east side of the Wind River Range as this would be a shorteer way to go. Look up Cirgue of Towers online for more information.

Bison-at-Mormon-Row-GTNP-WY.jpg

1:49 p.m. on May 12, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

I just checked with the the Anvil Hotel- unfortunately, they quit doing the youth hostel some time ago.

3:47 p.m. on May 12, 2011 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,135 forum posts

Really? They are still listed on the web? Only free place is the Christian Mission. Free place and meals for a preaching of God. Used to stay there myself in the 80s before I started renting a place. 30 day limit if you are working.

But as I mentioned theres, Gros ventre Campground between Jackson and kelly, the Curtis Canyon camp off the Elf refuge Road on the NE end of town past the hospital on E Broadway, There's a campground at Jenny Lake and Jackson Lake.

Cheapest Motel is Motel 6 on south Hwy 89 down by Kmart.

1:30 p.m. on May 13, 2011 (EDT)
63 reviewer rep
123 forum posts

we pitched a tent there a couple of years ago at the KOA just barely outside of town.  they put us in the back where a stream meets the river.  it was gorgeous.  other than the water it was nice and quiet.  no road noise at all. 

the mrs, liked the KOA showers and laundry.  cooked out own food (or went into town for food)  seemed cheap $ vs everything else we found

1:50 p.m. on May 14, 2011 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,135 forum posts

I have not been in Jackson since March 2009 so I was'nt sure about the KOA.

August 29, 2014
Quick Reply