Any suggestions for southern & western Adirondacks.

7:35 p.m. on June 6, 2011 (EDT)
24 reviewer rep
18 forum posts

I'm planning to explore the Adirondacks this summer. I am interested in any areas where bear canisters aren't required. So no high peaks. I'll be making 2 & 3 day trips for the most part. Maybe a 6 day too I hope. I'm trying to find some loops to take me back to my car. I have heard mention of a shuttle bus for hikers but can't find any particulars on one if it exists. I have been reading up on the Northville Placid trail too. But if anyone knows of a serene hike along a breathtaking stream to some secluded lake that is way off the beaten path then please, by all means, spill the beans. Look forward to your replies

Patman

12:31 p.m. on June 7, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
109 forum posts

Check out the Cranberry Lake area - I believe it's called Five Ponds Wilderness.   Might be the least-crowded part of the whole park.  

http://www.adirondackalmanack.com/2011/03/five-ponds-wilderness-red-horse-trail.html

http://www.cnyhiking.com/FivePondsWilderness.htm

There are some boggy areas, so be prepared for the mosquitos.

Stay away from anything near Lake Placid/Saranac/High Peaks - they will all be more crowded.

12:28 p.m. on June 9, 2011 (EDT)
24 reviewer rep
18 forum posts

Thanks Cat,

I live in the Green Mtns and my girlfriend is finally geared up for some hiking. I want to start her on some more gradual elevation changes and the Greens dont have much of that, plus I've been wanting to explore over there for a long time. It's only a couple hours away. I checked out the topo for that region (5 ponds Cranberry)and it's looks like are some good options. Ya know anything about that Post Henderson trail? I will definitely be somewhere there this summer.

Thanks again,

Patman

August 20, 2014
Quick Reply