western ky,southeastmossouri, and southern ill. outdoor groups

12:53 a.m. on June 9, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
7 forum posts

Does anyone know of any backpacking or paddling clubs or groups in the areas of western ky, southeast missouri or southern illinois? Does anyone live in this area and would like to meet up for some trips.

8:41 a.m. on June 9, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
74 forum posts

I live in the St.Louis area and would be up for some trips. Do you do day hikes overnighters weekends? Me and my cousin are going to be doing a weekend trip in mid July either somewhere on the OT or in one of Missouri other wildlife areas. Were working out the details now and would be more than happ to share

6:27 p.m. on June 9, 2011 (EDT)
87 reviewer rep
1,065 forum posts

Jpena You have Western Kentucky University in bowling green.Lot's of caves in that area. pretty nice..

11:04 a.m. on June 28, 2011 (EDT)
10 reviewer rep
37 forum posts

Western Kentucky has Land between the lakes (Lake Barkley and Kentucky Lake) and the LBL NORTH - SOUTH TRAIL ( a sixty mile trail that runs between the two lakes).  i figure there would be groups around there somewhere.

9:02 a.m. on July 1, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
7 forum posts

thank you for the offer but july is a very busy month for me and i will not be able to attend any trips. again thank you for the offer and please keep me in mind of any future trips.

6:24 p.m. on July 4, 2011 (EDT)
36 reviewer rep
74 forum posts

There are some trips you can book for the Shawnee national forest in Southern Illinois that are associated with resorts. I was down there for a 4 day hiking trip over memorial day and it was fun. Just did a little research on the net and jumped in the car and it's a quick 5 hours from Chicago (not much to look at but it was quick).

Most people who don't know Illinois, or even those who live there like city slickers from Chicago (like me) think Illinois is just flat corn fields with a bit of prarie mixed in. Which is true for the interior of the state, but down at the southern tip, the glaciers from the last ice age never made it that far so there all kinds of weird rock formations and dense forests. Plus you have the Ohio and Mississippi rivers converging. Lot of interesting history and some easy to moderate hiking and lots of camp sites. I went to Southern Illinois University down there, plus I had relatives from that area. So I know the area well enough to get around.

I'm planning a trip later this summer/early fall to nothwest Arkansas, my folks moved down there in the 90's and visit there a couple times a year but never did any hiking or camping (lots of great fishing though). I hear that there are some good remote trails in that area.

October 1, 2014
Quick Reply