Northeast: Winter week long trek **open invitation**

12:55 a.m. on July 17, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,846 reviewer rep
1,312 forum posts

I know its a tad early, but I will have to put in my vacation request here in about 2 months. So I was thinking about taking a week of my time and doing a Friday evening or Saturday to Sunday of the following week. Or something to that effect.

I was wondering if anyone else would be interested in doing something like this? I am fairly open to location, but would prefer to stay within a 3-4 hour drive of CT.

Tenatively looking to do this somwhere between the 3rd week of Jan and 2nd week of Feb. Date range is not firm, could add a week or two on either end. Also the # of days out doesnt have to be exact, i am pretty flexible, but would like to spend at least a good 5 or 6 days out.

So if you would be interested let me know, so we can begin to hash out some rough trip plan/dates. Need to put in my vacation request by mid Sep or so. Hope to have some company, otherwise me and Juno will just go it alone. I may have 1 or 2 others lined up to come, yet to confirm though.

Sound off you pollywogs!

9:27 a.m. on July 17, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

"Pencil" me in, Ken.

My only reservation, is the timing.   Late January and early February are just nasty weather times, here in the North-East.   Cold does not bother me ... matter-of-fact, I enjoy it.   But, going in to February, there is generally a lot of wind and rain, as temps start moderating somewhat ... and, that is what brings those warm-weather fronts that tend to stall over the area for days ... and puke all that moisture, which can be in the form of sleet, wet snow, freezing rain.   I don't mind the heavy, dry snow during most of January.  BTW -- Did you notice there was NO traditional "January (3rd wk) thaw" this year?

Early January is usually much better.   As one gets further-along toward late February, and early March, there generally is a lot of cold rain.   Wind, also.  Not pleasant, in any event.

Hit me up with a "tickler" later on, as you zero-in on your date.

~r2~

9:41 a.m. on July 17, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,846 reviewer rep
1,312 forum posts

I am planning on requesting off the week of Jan 16-20, unless there is someone who wants to come who cant take that week for whatever reason. But I will defintely pencil you in and will get in touch as it gets closer.

Would there be any particular area/trail you are interested in? How 'low' can you go? (Some of the areas we tossed around can get to like -30 or -40) But we realize everyone might not have that kinda gear, so there are ample places we can go that stay in a more moderate 0 to -10.

11:45 a.m. on July 17, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

So far, -28 has been my experience ... and, that was with less-than-proper gear.   NOW ... willing to try lower temps, as I DO have proper clothing.

Mt. Washington would be a 'challenge' that time-of-year.   I don't have snow-shoes, but easy to acquire.   Same with crampons.   I do have the "ice-trek" attachments that go onto the soles of hiking and mountaineering boots.  I have a great pair of Fabiano mountaineering boots, that need to see some action.

Actually, most any trail would do.  

~r2~

3:11 p.m. on July 17, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I may be up for this. I am seriously gonna give this some thought and I will get back to ya. I love the cold temps. I personally do not have a problem with the -30/-40s but out of fairness to others this may be up for debate. I will keep ya posted. I would probably just fly to where ever ya wanna go being it would be substantially than the amount of gas my SUV would eat.

It honestly doesn't matter to me where ya wanna go. Anywhere is fine by me.

4:30 p.m. on July 17, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Rick ~~

I am about 3 hrs drive South-West of Philly.   Maybe (?) we could meet-up somewhere (PA Tpke @ NE Extension ?), and share $$ travel expenses.

Would love to see just how cold the temps we could find ... just for the challenge ... and to see if our gear does what it is supposed to do.

If not, I'll bring along a couple body-bags and some markers ... so the SAR guys can find you.

~r2~

4:37 p.m. on July 17, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

We could always hit the Presidentials, although I do not think Jan would be the best time of the year to do so. :)

Robert- That may very well be something I would be up for. I will keep ya posted. We still have a little time lol.

As far as the time goes I don't see why I couldn't pencil this in. I always can make time for something like this.

4:43 p.m. on July 17, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Rick-Pittsburgh said:

Robert- That may very well be something I would be up for. I will keep ya posted. We still have a little time lol.

Yeah.   If we "buddy-up", and use one of our vehicles, we could sort through our gear, and make sure we have at least one of each ESSENTIALS, between us.

No sense in toting a lot of dupes ....

~r2~

4:47 p.m. on July 17, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Absolutely. My vehicle is a full time all wheel drive V8. It gets around 8-9 miles to the gallon. Part of that is my fault because I added a few "performance" parts to it.

4:59 p.m. on July 17, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

I have a couple VW Vanagons.   One is a diesel with a roof-rack ... the other, gas.   Diesel gets around 30 mpg ... gas gets around 19 mpg.   Both RWD.   Both have fold down rear-seat that converts to a bed ... two-wide size.   I've used 'em for 'mobile base camps'.   Diesel is tough to start on cold mornings.  I've actually put an MSR stove under the crankcase to warm the oil, prior to starting it, in really cold weather.

~r2~

11:09 p.m. on July 17, 2011 (EDT)
24 reviewer rep
18 forum posts

Hey guys, Patrick here. I live in the green mtns and am an avid mountaineer. I make 2or3 trips to the presidential range each winter. It's a beast. The weather is way more bad than good. 90 mph gusts are very common almost normal. We usually give ourselves a 14 day window for a 4 day trip then closely watch the weather. It is severe when it is fair. Mt washington especially deserves a tremendous amount of respect. I made snow on killington mtn at night for a decade and was always amazed at how powerful the wind ishttp://classic.mountainzone.com/hike/presidential/index.html up in the whites. It's not something you want to tackle with a new group. Mt Garfield and vicinity PemiGewasset Wilderness are more inviting for winter trips. http://classic.mountainzone.com/hike/presidential/index.html Baxter park in Maine is a great winter hiking destination. The southern green mtns as well as adirondacks and berkshires would make a great proving ground for a new group to gain experience together. I would recommend researching these regions. Also if you're planning on driving a vanagon into new England in January be sure to have 4 studded snows and even then I still would keep a rabbits foot in my pocket. Especially if yor parking it for a week where it might get plowed in. Plow truck drivers get a little crazy when they see outastate plates. Ps. Count me in this posse.

11:43 p.m. on July 17, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Regardless of where we go I am bringing a bivy.

12:24 a.m. on July 18, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Beginning to sound like an interesting adventure.

BTW --  Anyone have a locator-beacon?

Just-in-case ... 'Ya know ....   So "they" can find us.

~r2~

12:35 a.m. on July 18, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I don't but if it comes down to it I will get one.

12:56 a.m. on July 18, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I could see a group of 50 or so of us Trailspacers out there now. Could you see the photos n trip reports?

7:21 a.m. on July 18, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

I'm thinking Patrick (Sirpatrick) and Ken (TheRambler) will pull point.  

Who's in charge of coffee?  

BTW -- How 'bout we put out an invite to Alicia?   I know this is an "open invitation" event, but I think it would be cool to have her join-in  for at least a few days / sections.    Heck, she probably would have some great suggestions for the locales ... and do the entire trek.   She may even know a regional Medi-Vac team.

We'd have to promise not to whine.

~r2~

8:28 a.m. on July 18, 2011 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,160 reviewer rep
605 forum posts

The photos and trip reports would be good but could you imagine the discussions/debates over the winter kit's. Tent vs bivy, down vs synthetic, probably only get half way up a mountain beacuse there'd be so much talking.

I'd be a tentative yes as well. Don't think I could get a week off, but maybe do a couple days, meet up with you somewhere.

8:33 a.m. on July 18, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,846 reviewer rep
1,312 forum posts

Wow, the thread has been quite active. It's awesome that yall are interested in coming.

As far as locale, due to the range of experience levels of people thinking about coming. I was thinking somewhere like Harriman State Park in NY, or somewhere in the lower ADKs. I.E. somewhere lower in altitude and is a little less harsh and more forgiving.

I do not have a PLB or Spot type device. I typically leave a detailed intenerary with the wife along with the associated sar and dep phone numbers. I do carry a 2 way radio/gps/weather radio combo, but that is about the extent of it.

If Alicia, or anyone else for that matter wants to come they are more than welcome.  Only limitations for people will be cold weather gear, which some of us going have some extras so I am sure we could work something out if that is the only limitation.

If you have no or limited winter backpacking experience this would be a good starter trip for someone, due to the fact that we will have several experienced winter backpackers along.

So far the count is 5(counting you 3) and 2 others from another site that are still a maybe depending if they can get the time off. So a total of 7 if everyone comes so far.

Location: I was tossing around the idea of doing a weave through Harriman and bagging alot of the peaks there in the park. Most nights we would have a shelter available, and the lows typically are 0 to -10,so a ittle on the milder side. Or maybe somewhere like Pharoh lake and surrounding areas in the Adks. I have been to some crazy places in winter, but figured for a large group of mixed experience levels something a little lower key may be in order. So if you have ideas, please by all means share them. We certainly have plenty of time to think about the location lol.

Really glad to hear others are interested.

2:49 p.m. on July 18, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I honestly think this is a great thing.  It gets us all a bit better acquainted with one another other than what we see via monitor/keyboard.  Maybe we could make this an annual thing?

TR- I am with ya on the whole lower altitude idea.  This would be a great way for someone new to the whole winter aspect of backcountry travel to get an intro to it. 

I personally love the snow.  Always have.  When the wind dies down there is just a whole different level of serenity to hitting the trail in the fluff.  I am going to solo the LHHT again in late December and this would be a great follow up trip for me.

I am looking forward to getting together with everyone.  Its gonna be quite a change for me as compared to my usual solo treks.

I will be packing a "whomeworry Edition" Hawaiian shirt for this trip to "liven things up" a bit, for some odd reason I am drawn to them, Thanks ED!!!.....

These will be combined with Cap 3 baselayers and a pair of Speedos. :)

3:46 p.m. on July 18, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

I don't know if I could go, but I am definitely interested. I wouldn't be able to do a whole week either, but it is possible I could meet up with the group like Jake as well.

Depending on location/route I would have to borrow an ice axe, crampons, and snowshoes from a friend of mine. Otherwise I am equipped for winter.

I think I would have to just follow your plans and determine whether I could join in in the preceeding weeks.

9:34 p.m. on July 18, 2011 (EDT)
102 reviewer rep
2,295 forum posts

Sirpatrick said:

..I make 2or3 trips to the presidential range each winter. It's a beast. The weather is way more bad than good. 90 mph gusts are very common almost normal... ..I made snow on killington mtn at night for a decade and was always amazed at how powerful the wind is.. ..up in the whites. It's not something you want to tackle with a new group...

I'll go one step further than Patrick: I wouldn't venture such a trip with anyone I haven't had at least a prior shake-out trip with.  This is definitely a hardcore season to be in those mountains.  The last thing you want is contending with a crisis brought on by fierce weather and someone's lack of experience/preparedness.  I always screen potential company prior to such adventures, with shorter trips designed to demonstrate their capabilities.  We may all be buddies here on the forum, but unless you can get reliable third party recommendations, best folks carefully consider who they travel into such conditions with.  I have experienced enough trips gone awry, due to others’ inadequate equipment or experience, that I consider it safer to go solo in the dead of winter than be exposed to the crisis that results when someone who has no business venturing into such conditions does so anyway.

Ed

10:50 p.m. on July 18, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

+1 Ed- I completely agree with ya on that one.

11:16 p.m. on July 18, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,846 reviewer rep
1,312 forum posts

I agree with you Ed. and that is exactly why I am not planning a venture into higher altitudes/ less forgiving locales. I thoroughly understand the dangers of the backcountry in winter.

I just took a look at my vacation time and it does not refresh until feb 2. so tenatively I would plan to request off feb 3-feb 10 and do the trip that Friday to sat or sun.

would everyone that's interested in coming be ok with that time frame? as far as location goes, where is everyone located? am thinking Harriman sp would be the closest for the majority of the people coming.

I am hoping I can save my pennies In time to get a nice winter underquilt for the hammock this year!

11:22 p.m. on July 18, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I have absolutely no problem with those dates. I am in Pittsburgh but I am sure ya already figured that out lol.

9:51 a.m. on July 19, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

I am in Tennessee, but would probably fly into CT, where have friends. Plan the dates and location when it works best, if I can make it, great, but no sweat if I can't.

10:09 a.m. on July 19, 2011 (EDT)
24 reviewer rep
18 forum posts

Probably not too many football fans here, but I am. Feb. 5 is super bowl Sunday. Hope to see the greatest trip report ever though. Lol.

4:18 p.m. on July 19, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I like Football(being in Pittsburgh you don't have much of a choice.) At the same time I could care less if there is a season this year.

5:42 p.m. on July 19, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,846 reviewer rep
1,312 forum posts

That just means that we will have the trail to ourselves! DVR or tape it if you want. People are too fanatic about sports in general. I am more than happy to be on the trail on superbowl  sunday.

5:44 p.m. on July 19, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

TheRambler said:

That just means that we will have the trail to ourselves! DVR or tape it if you want. People are too fanatic about sports in general. I am more than happy to be on the trail on superbowl  sunday.

ABSOLUTELY !!!

9:36 p.m. on July 19, 2011 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
588 reviewer rep
3,051 forum posts

I have deleted at least one post in this thread that violated the community rules and guidelines due to profanity and name calling.

I also deleted some posts leading up to and referring to the name-calling, so we can now return to the original topic of discussion.

Let's stay on topic and civil, please. Thanks.

http://www.trailspace.com/about/community-rules.html

10:01 p.m. on July 19, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Hey TR- Not counting shelters or any typical gear. Is there any specific type of technical gear that is needed? Crampons, ice axe, etc. I have gear just looking to see if there is anything I don't have.

I'm not really familiar with the area or its terrain. I am gonna look into Harriman a little closer. Thanks.

10:21 p.m. on July 19, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,846 reviewer rep
1,312 forum posts

As far as technical gear goes, really all that would be needed is something like microspikes and more than likely snowshoes depending on conditions. Full crampons would probably be overkill in Harriman SP. Definitely dont need an ice axe.

If you have an AT guide of any sorts, the AT runs through the park on the way to Bear Mountain in NY. The park itself is much larger than just the AT corridor. The Long Path also comes through the park. The park is moderate terrain, with alot of small and sometimes steep up and downs. With great views over all of the much lower terrain nearby aka Hudson river valley. Here are a few pics from a trip this past Jan 21-23.

This is Juno my Siberian Husky at West Mtn Shelter, thats the Atlantic and NYC in background
Juno-scenic.jpg
Cooking at West Mtn Shelter, NYC in background
BPAT-100.jpg
View from Black Mtn I think

BPAT-52.jpg

West Mtn
BPAT-56.jpg
BPAT-115.jpg

My faceplant thanks to Juno descending Black Mtn. I went about 3 feet deep head first into a snow drift lol.
faceplant.jpg

10:28 p.m. on July 19, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I love huskies. I miss mine soooo much. Will be getting another in time. I pretty much have whatever gear, don't think the G10s will be needed on this one.

I should be good to go. I am gonna get a new pair of microspikes. I can't seem to find the ones I purchased last season. I have snowshoes so no worries there.

Oh by the way NICE FACEPLANT !!!

8:52 a.m. on July 20, 2011 (EDT)
1,160 reviewer rep
605 forum posts

So on the sports front- football is back, I think we've all agreed we'll tape the superbowl if needed. And the Pirates are in first place! Does anyone in Pittsburgh care about the Pirates anymore Rick?

On the outdoorsy front- That faceplant is awesome. How'd you get that shot? And putting up that many winter pics so early is just a tease! Beacuse I look out the window and see this hideous 35 degree weather plus humidity. Is it September yet?

9:49 a.m. on July 20, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,846 reviewer rep
1,312 forum posts

I was with a group of 4 others that weekend, so someone was behind me taking pics while I was breaking trail.

I wish it was winter 11 months a year, haha. Thinking I need to move to the arctic.

9:56 a.m. on July 20, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

Nice plant, Rambler :)

Jake, I don't know, 35 degrees sounds pretty good right now ;)

11:16 a.m. on July 20, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

35? Its in the 90s here and I am on a ladder. As far as the Pirates go, everyone is a fan when their winning.

11:44 a.m. on July 20, 2011 (EDT)
87 reviewer rep
1,061 forum posts

Rambler I might be in for this " But" I have to go back to work in the beggining of Sept..But Tentativly a YES..But I will talk to you the closer I get to Conn..I remember that trip report that was rocking..Your friend did a great job on it..

@ Rick when I hit Penn i will email you and see if you can meet on the trail for a day atleast.

@ Gonzan- I knew you were heavily burdand when I started and you were on a time line. I don't like to interfer with anyone's career or job. So left thru Tenn knowing you were busy but up for a trip next Spring? In that area..

12:29 p.m. on July 20, 2011 (EDT)
1,160 reviewer rep
605 forum posts

Sorry 35 is in celcius, 95 f. Although I guess anywhere in the southern US this is almost second nature. I'm Canadian though, not built for this! I'm far more comfortable at -35c then this! As far as being on a ladder and getting that reflective heat off the house as well, I think I'd just tip the ladder over, with myself on it ;)

1:32 p.m. on July 20, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

Jake, I shoulda realized it was Celcius. Ya' know gotta get those little teases and chuckles in when you can :)

Denis, no problem man! I was crazy busy, and didn't event hink about it until after you were further up the trail. Next spring sounds like a good idea. Where will you be living then? 

2:32 p.m. on July 20, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Denis- Definitely hit me up, ya never know. I may run the Pa. section with ya. I'm kinda spontaneous. :)

How far off are ya?

2:45 p.m. on July 20, 2011 (EDT)
87 reviewer rep
1,061 forum posts

@ Gonzan no tentative plans as of yet decision wise to change careers, So stay in VA till I totally way everything..Just cant come to a decision..but I have family in clarksville tenn also..

@ Rick in Maine...Nice here never say this part and truly in Awww...

11:33 p.m. on July 20, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,846 reviewer rep
1,312 forum posts

well I just ordered myself a nice new winter topquilt for the hammock(-15f rated). next on the list is a winter underquilt. worse case I just use pads, but am saving for that downy goodness.

more the merrier Denis , would be cool if you could make it. should be a helluva good trip!

5:46 p.m. on July 22, 2011 (EDT)
87 reviewer rep
1,061 forum posts

yeah I think regardless of work I might have to be sick that weekend to go. I feel the Flu comeing on that weekend. Also what should I look for in Snowshoe's Weight wise, straps and length? Also maybe some brands to give me an idea. You did tell me to  get Yak Trax which I have now but wont be of any use dureing that time of year. If you give me that I can work forward on getting them for the trip.

7:27 p.m. on July 22, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,846 reviewer rep
1,312 forum posts

I never recommend yak trax, unless your walking around town or on a severly tight budget. Kahtoola microspikes all the way!

Honestly, any snow shoe will work. A nice pair of snowshoes is 200+ easily. I have a pair of MSR denali ascents with both 4in and 8 in tails. If I was buying again today I would probably get the MSR lightning ascents.

As far as length of shoe, that all depends on your weight really. But a shorter shoe is much much much easier when hiking. Long shoes take alot of effort and thought to not bang and catch on yourself your other shoe or obstacles.

Now a cheap shoe vs a priceier one: Cheap shoes usually dont have as good of a tread/crampon system for traction, where are the higher end shoes have very aggressive tread with alot of teeth. The bindings are typically different as well, sometimes requiring adjustment mid hike, which really isnt that big a deal.

MSR is my snowshoe company of choice, but some other good brands are Atlas and Tubbs.

I usually bring my microspikes in winter along with me shoes because snowshoes suck on sheer ice. Don't buy into the floatation marketing hype. Almost any shoe will give you good flotation on older/packed snow. Anyone will sink in fresh fluffy snow. So based on that I recommend a20- 25in shoe depending on your weight and buy a tail if you want so you can make them longer if needed.

9:41 a.m. on October 14, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,846 reviewer rep
1,312 forum posts

Ok, so it looks like the dates for this are going to be 2/3/12-2/12/11. That is a Friday-Sunday, I would plan to either start on the evening of the 3rd, or first thing in the morning on the 4th. And then either return on 2/11 Sat or 2/12 Sun. I am available to stay the whole time.

Just wondering which of you are definitely planning on coming, trying to get a trip plan together, and it will depend alot on how many people we have total.

So if your a definite let me know, and if your maybe let me know. Just need to have an idea of how many people we are gonna have. Some folks over from the NE forum on backpacker.com are gonna be coming along as well.

Once I have a rough number of people, i will finalize the trip plans. Right now it's looking like either a shelter hop through Harriman, or somewhere in the Catskills.

5:30 a.m. on October 15, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

Pencil me IN.

~ r2 ~

6:44 a.m. on October 15, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Denis, check out Hillsounds Trail Crampon Pro. I just ordered a pair. Might be a nice alternative for you.

Here is a link:

http://www.trailspace.com/gear/hillsound/trail-crampon-pro/

7:26 a.m. on October 15, 2011 (EDT)
1,160 reviewer rep
605 forum posts

Hey Rambler,

I am still a maybe, hopefully be able to get some time off to meet up with you guys, at least for a couple of day. Havn't really had the chance to fully look over my schedule yet.

2:51 p.m. on October 17, 2011 (EDT)
121 reviewer rep
590 forum posts

for those choosing to forgo Mt Washington or the Presi's this winter - don't underestimate them. The temps there typically don't allow wet precipitation of any kind - I went twice last Feb, and saw -25 one day, and -88 another (with the wind chill). Clear weather is almost never the case, avalanches are frequent, and there are various levels of difficulty.

I'm not under estimating anyone's skill level, because I know some people here are very experienced, but even experienced hikers and climbers die there. It's more than a "challenge", it's a CHALLENGE.

The Lion's head winter route is the easiest, but requires full winter gear and full ice climbing crampons, not just yak tracks or light travel crampons. You never know what conditions you'll find there, and several sections tip 60-70 degrees vertical incline and climb for hundreds of feet in pitches through the trees. A fall results in likely breaking your back on a tree below you, or other serious consequences. When I climbed this route I saw snow, crusty snow, hard blue ice, and rocks, all mixed terrain. Once above tree line, you are essentially in a wind tunnel, which only gets worse on windy days once you head above the Lion's head rock. It's not unlikely that you'll experience hurricane force winds that sustain, rather than gust.

If that route is not challenging enough, try the headwall in Tuckerman's Ravine, or the Pinnacle Gully in Huntington's Ravine. These are two of the toughest and most dangerous trails in the Whites, and require full ice climbing gear and experience. Just 2 years ago a man triggered an avalanche while anchored to an ice screw and tumbled with it 1500 feet to the floor of the ravine, barely surviving. These two trails reach almost vertical and if you feel up to it, beyond vertical in some places.

Obviously with blue sky days, a couple dozen climbers will reach the top during a winter day...but I've also been up there when things turn bad, and no one can go anywhere, up or down. You can't see your hand in front of your face, you can't hear anyone talk, you can't find the trail because it's been washed out by the snow blowing 100mph, and to your right (if you're heading down) somewhere is Tuckerman's ravine with 800+ ft drops waiting for you to tumble into.

I'd love to say I'll go with you, but I can't commit this far in advance. The Whites are my playground, and when I have the time and money I want to become a certified guide for the area.

5:57 p.m. on October 17, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,846 reviewer rep
1,312 forum posts

I love venturing to the whites in winter, however with a group of people I am meeting and backpacking with for the very first time I will steer clear for the time being. I was recommending Harriman SP or the Catskills for the more 'forgiving' environment, and relatively easier terrain/trails.

I am all for a challenge, and would maybe go with a new group to the whites during the summer, but during the winter it's a whole different animal. You need to make sure everyone can handle themselves and is experienced with severe winter conditions before you head up there. The weather is enough to worry about, you don't need to be worrying about your companions as well.

6:01 p.m. on October 17, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

TheRambler said:

I am all for a challenge, and would maybe go with a new group to the whites during the summer, but during the winter it's a whole different animal. You need to make sure everyone can handle themselves and is experienced with severe winter conditions before you head up there. The weather is enough to worry about, you don't need to be worrying about your companions as well.

+1

6:07 p.m. on October 17, 2011 (EDT)
121 reviewer rep
590 forum posts

written in haste during my lunch I realize I wrote forgo above. I meant for those who are choosing to go to Mt Washington or the Presi's.

oh well....where's that handy edit button?

6:12 p.m. on October 17, 2011 (EDT)
121 reviewer rep
590 forum posts

Rick, for not much more you could get the CAMP stalker universal crampon, which is 12 point and can be used in many conditions. It probably would not be appropriate for everything (think Himalaya), but so far has done the trick for me in the Whites, both on Mt Washington and many many others in winter.

6:25 p.m. on October 17, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

iClimb- thanks for the heads up. I wasn't really going after much more than a 10 point set-up for what I do but on 2nd thought the CAMPs(12s) may not be a bad idea.

Dependent on what I see when I get the HS in my hands I may very well go after the CAMP model. 

Thanks alot. Definitely appreciated.

2:23 p.m. on October 18, 2011 (EDT)
121 reviewer rep
590 forum posts

no problem Rick. In my opinion more is better, there isn't a disadvantage I have found in having the 2 extra contact points, and if anything they come in handy when coming across things that are above 10 point capability. Since neither break the bank, it might not be a bad idea to hang onto the HS model and get the CAMP too - I have two of the CAMP 12 pts in case of the need for repair or failure.

8:21 p.m. on November 29, 2011 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,846 reviewer rep
1,312 forum posts

Ok, so the dates that I will have available to me will be Friday 2/3 to Friday 2/10(maybe leaving Sat morning if I am close to the car). Due to some people wanting to come that have little winter experience I think Harriman would be the better choice due to milder conditions compared to other locales.

Here is my thought, yall let me know what you think. I am planning on using my hammock most nights as of now, but am planning it as a shelter hop  for the most part mainly for others, but everyone needs to have alternate shelter with them.

Option 1
2/3 West Mtn Shelter, 2/4Brien Memorial Shelter, 2/5 Fingerboard Shelter, 2/6 Bald Rocks Shelter, 2/7 ?? Somewhere in the vicinity of the power line crossing on the red cross trail just south of lake tiorati, 2/8 Brien Memorial Shelter, 2/9 Stockbridge Shelter, 2/10 either out to the SE to parking area at silvermine picnic area OR back to West Mtn Shelter

Option 2
2/3 Stockbridge Shelter, 2/4 Fingerboard Shelter, 2/5 Bald Rocks Shelter, 2/6 somewhere south of lake tiorati on the red cross trail, 2/7 Brien Memorial Shelter or on trail somewhere around Big Bog Mtn, 2/8 The Timp?, 2/9 West Mtn shelter, 2/10 out to Parking area North of West Mtn

Option 3
2/3 West Mtn Shelter, 2/4 The Timp, 2/5 Somewhere in the vicinity of The Pines?, 2/6 Somewhere south of lake Tiorati, 2/7 Fingerboard Shelter, 3/8 Stockbridge Shelter, 2/9 Brien Memorial Shelter, 2/10 West Mtn Shelter

Option 4
2/3 West Mtn Shelter, 2/4 Brien Memorial Shelter, 2/5 Stockbridge Shelter, 2/6 Fingerboard Shelter, 2/7 Bald Rocks Shelter, 2/8 Fingerboard Shelter, 2/9 Brien Memorial Shelter, 2/10 West Mtn Shelter

Option 5
2/3 White Bar? Shelter, 2/4 Bald Rocks Shelter,2/5 Fingerboard Shelter, 2/6 Shelter name? northwest of fingerboard, 2/7 Stockbridge Shelter, 2/8 Brien Memorial Shelter, 2/9 West Mtn Shelter, 2/10 out to parking area N of West Mtn

Just some thoughts, let me know what yall think. I don't have the southern map with me at the moment  to look at it for options. I am fine with anything but need to be back home by mid day on 2/11 Sat.

Anyone have a more definite answer if they will be coming yet or not? Would like to get a firm head count soon so that we can colaborate on gear etc and make sure everyone is well prepared.

5:49 p.m. on December 17, 2011 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,846 reviewer rep
1,312 forum posts

Bump

8:11 p.m. on December 22, 2011 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,846 reviewer rep
1,312 forum posts

bump, anyone here interested anymore? About 5 weeks away now, so if anyone is coming we should get the logistics squared away.

8:42 p.m. on December 22, 2011 (EST)
1,160 reviewer rep
605 forum posts

I am unfortunately going to have to back out. Don't think I'm gonna be able to get any time off and the 8 hour drive is a little much for only a weekend trip. Hope you guys have fun- and gets some snowy, cold weather to enjoy.

8:58 a.m. on December 23, 2011 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,846 reviewer rep
1,312 forum posts

This trip is Feb 3rd-10th and not just the weekend FYI.

5:36 p.m. on December 23, 2011 (EST)
1,160 reviewer rep
605 forum posts

No I know I saw that, I just can't get any time off during the week so for me it would have to be only a weekender.

3:40 p.m. on December 27, 2011 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

Hey Ken, 

I would have loved to join the trip, but I can't afford it. That I and I am working a full time design job, have two teaching jobs, and working in my own studio :) 

I hope you get a few peeps to join you!

7:35 a.m. on December 29, 2011 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,846 reviewer rep
1,312 forum posts

I also hope some more can come out, but if not thats fine too. So far it's just one other, and me and my dog. So it is looking to be a fairly quiet trip thus far. If its just us we may end up going up the the Cats or ADKs.

8:59 p.m. on December 29, 2011 (EST)
121 reviewer rep
590 forum posts

i won't be able to join you for the whole thing but if you guys plan on doing an ice climb or a mountaineering trip up the steep slopes of Tuckerman's Ravine, I'll be there with a couple of people the 9th or 10th.

3:18 p.m. on January 3, 2012 (EST)
14 reviewer rep
49 forum posts

Rambler, this sounds like most trips i plan.  To many its a great idea until its time to go.  Im in kentucky but my wifes family all live in rhode island and i have been up there many dozens of times.  I just read your thread and it got my mind racing but dont see how i could make it work. It sounds like a great time i hope you guys enjoy yourselves.

2:54 p.m. on January 31, 2012 (EST)
121 reviewer rep
590 forum posts

looks like not many replies for the trip? On feb 5th and 6th I will be in Tuckerman's Ravine doing some climbing for a couple of days. Let me know if plans change and you plan on being in that area. I suspect we'll be one of very few parties up there these dates since the superbowl is going on...

5:56 p.m. on January 31, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,846 reviewer rep
1,312 forum posts

Yeah, no one from trailspace will be coming as of this moment in time. It will be myself, a friend, and our two dogs, a few others are going to meet up with us on monday after the superbowl. We will be down in Harriman SP, NY. It is my buddies first winter trip (although it isn't really winter right now!) so we wanted to stay somewhere more predictable and more moderate temps for the first time for him. Next year we will probably go much further north.

6:11 p.m. on January 31, 2012 (EST)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Honestly, I want to go in the worst way.

My gut just doesn't trust my knee yet. On my last trip it held up but it felt like jello as the days progressed towards nightfall.

Like I said above I just don't want to put anyone else in a tight spot if something happens. Its just not fair to others. Plus I just don't want to take a chance, screw it up worse than it is, end up taking a hit in the healing process, and starting back at square 1 or worse(surgery.)

I tell ya what though; in the coming months if ya decide to go on another trip please by all means let me know.

I am really wanting to see something unfamiliar. I have spent so much time on the "local" trails around here. 

I'm kinda bummed but I will accept that compared to what could happen if I ignore the possibilities. 

7:14 p.m. on January 31, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,846 reviewer rep
1,312 forum posts

I hear ya Rick, and understand completely. While we are only planning on about 5 mile days, just a nice slow and relaxing pace. I do understand how it is when recovering from an injury.

Hope ya get all healed up soon.

I have a kid on the way(due may 7th) so not sure how much more i will be getting out in near future. I have a feeling this will be my last trip for at least close to a year.

11:26 p.m. on April 3, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
126 forum posts

the rambler,when and where are you thinking,VT,NH or ME?,june,july,august or september?,just curious.7days easy or hard,40mi.or100mi.?AT?LT?

11:28 p.m. on April 3, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
126 forum posts

OMG 2 YEARS

5:39 a.m. on April 4, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,846 reviewer rep
1,312 forum posts

...?

5:57 a.m. on April 4, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,238 forum posts

I was originally very interested in this adventure.

Circumstances and opportunity (chance-of-a-lifetime)  to go on a cross-country 'Odyssey' (5,000 mile 'round-trip) prevailed.

I spent most of December and January hiking, backpacking, and camping in the Upper-Plains States.   Wisconsin and Minnesota (technically, the Upper Mid-West) ... Iowa, Kansas, Nebraska, South Dakota, Wyoming.

Milder than normal temperatures for those parts of the country, during the mid-Winter, was in my favor.   I rarely saw sub-zero temps; although, I was well-prepared.

I, too, am nursing a bum knee.   Torn meniscus.   Pending surgery.

~ r2 ~

September 20, 2014
Quick Reply