Possible Post Office closing on AT.....

1:50 p.m. on August 3, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts
2:26 p.m. on August 3, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

I know I'll be calling and writting the biggest names connected to the USPS to advocate keeping those open. I would encourage everyone else to do the same! 

2:39 p.m. on August 3, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

I do as well. This could change the whole overall scope of the trip.

2:50 p.m. on August 3, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

If I lived in one of those locations, and the offices DID close, I'd be setting up a little service in a heart beat! If I was a through hiker I would sure as heck pay a buck to someone providing a delivery and pickup point. I'll bet it would spread through the AT resources and communities that you could still get your packages by sending it to "X" addresses in those towns.

2:51 p.m. on August 3, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

As stated in the article this is gonna carry over to the PCT as well. This could put hikers in a really tough spot.

I wanted to add this as an edit to my last post but my tabs landed somewhere in the Bermuda Triangle and are not visible.

12:25 a.m. on August 4, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,245 reviewer rep
1,267 forum posts

I would agree with Gonzan, this will probably open up opportunities for mom 'n pop entrapreneurs to offer resupply services like those along the JMT.

http://johnmuirtrail.org/resupply.html

And they will probably be open to pickups at times other than "9-5 M-F excluding holidays" :).

12:42 p.m. on August 12, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
910 forum posts

Bheiser1 I agree with you 100%.

I know a former postal worker.  The PO used to send her to work every Sunday to a small town just in case there was an overnight package that needed Sunday delivery. Never  I can guarantee you that Fedex or UPS would have known if there was a package before paying someone to do that.

The same holds at the post office in Glencliff, N.H., which is used by hundreds of hikers each year to receive food and heavier clothing as the seasons change from summer to autumn in the colder northern states, said William Reilly, the caretaker at the nearby Hikers Welcome Hostel.

I'm willing to bet William Reilly would get a shed to store packages in and have it paid for in a single season. Also if he isn't stocking resupply stuff he will be.

I realize some hikers are on a really tight budget. So is the Post Office. It's supposed to at least break even but it doesn't. I'm sure that the post office will still deliver mail up to the residents of the towns that are facing closures.  If it's too expensive for someone to pay for a pick service they can always hike to the nearest Post Office. What's a few extra miles on a 2181 mile journey?

August 22, 2014
Quick Reply