Continental Divide Trail

2:02 p.m. on August 15, 2011 (EDT)
57 reviewer rep
59 forum posts

Has anyone here thru hiked the Continental Divide Trail?

7:47 a.m. on August 16, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,846 reviewer rep
1,317 forum posts

I have not, but a good spot to look for information on the CDT is on www.whiteblaze.net, about 3/4 of the way down the forums page there is a trails section and the CDT has its own sub forum. There is alot of good information there, including some good video series of people thru hiking the trail.

9:47 a.m. on August 16, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
912 forum posts

I didn't realize enough of the CDT had been completed to really "thru-hike" it but it appears that it has.

Here are some websites I found.

http://www.cdtsociety.org/  This is apparently similar to the Appalachian Trail Conservancy.

http://www.trailsource.com/continental-divide-trail/index.asp Maps, etc.

2:06 a.m. on August 17, 2011 (EDT)
57 reviewer rep
59 forum posts

Thanks to both of you!

9:15 p.m. on August 19, 2011 (EDT)
57 reviewer rep
59 forum posts
10:20 a.m. on August 20, 2011 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
301 forum posts

Trail work is not complete.  They are still making improvements, grading the trail, and have altered the course of the trail a couple of times.  They are still working on establishing the trail two miles from me. 

So, nobody has thru-hiked it in its complete form. 

1:22 a.m. on August 22, 2011 (EDT)
57 reviewer rep
59 forum posts

Trail work is not complete.  They are still making improvements, grading the trail, and have altered the course of the trail a couple of times.  They are still working on establishing the trail two miles from me. 

So, nobody has thru-hiked it in its complete form. 

True, however using alternative routes, people have thru hiked it. Be cool to get sponsorship to thru hike it and have proceeds go toward finishing it. If I'm not mistaken, it is about 75% complete.

12:47 a.m. on August 23, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
912 forum posts

Maybe you could get Google to sponsor you. You could carry some sort of GPS mapping device and they could put it on google maps. Who knows they might be able to rig up something like that thing they put on cars to do the street level view they have. That would be neat.

9:34 a.m. on September 1, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
8 forum posts

There is also this website that has information on the CDT:

http://www.cdtrail.org/page.php

9:29 a.m. on September 18, 2011 (EDT)
57 reviewer rep
59 forum posts

Maybe you could get Google to sponsor you. You could carry some sort of GPS mapping device and they could put it on google maps. Who knows they might be able to rig up something like that thing they put on cars to do the street level view they have. That would be neat.

Now that would be cool!

2:45 p.m. on September 18, 2011 (EDT)
119 reviewer rep
456 forum posts

This is on my Bucket list also, Hopefully before I turn 60!  :)  Great High country trail.  Just plan on 4 to 6 months to do it in one shot.  Quite the adventure.

Wolfman

8:48 a.m. on September 19, 2011 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
410 reviewer rep
1,068 forum posts

The CDT is not yet "complete," i.e. 100% of the trail is not ideally located on a tread dedicated only to the CDT. As an easterner accustomed to the A.T., it's taken me a while to expand my definition of "complete" to accommodate the western National Scenic Trails, which often have alternate or multiple routes and are sometimes co-located on jeep roads.

The CDT is often regarded as the least traveled of the 3 North-South National Scenic Trails (AT, CDT, PCT), but this is largely due to the more extreme conditions on the CDT, the greater isolation, and the challenges of resupply.

Get in touch with the Continental Divide Trail Alliance - www.cdtrail.org, they are friendly folks who can point you to detailed resources about hiking the CDT.

1:47 a.m. on November 20, 2011 (EST)
57 reviewer rep
59 forum posts

Just joined the CDTA in Helena, MT last week. Won a book "Along Montana & Idaho's Continental Devide Trail" and an awesome Crazy Creek chair. What an amazing bunch of great people. Also met Shaggy & Dirt (trail names) who thru hiked the CDT, and after reading Shaggy's trailjournals.com, I'm sure they both have their tripple crown. Some of the best CDT resourses I've found are trailjournals.com, cdts.com, cdta.org, and phlumf.com; Jonathan Ley's website. Sounds to me like the trail has changed/improved a lot in the last 5-10 years and I'm still hearing contradicting numbers, like 85% and 70% complete. The main reason for having alternative routs are #1. Weather. #2. Fire. #3. Land easements and #4. Mexican drug cartel. I understand that currently only about 150 people complete a thru hike every year. No shelters every 20 miles, almost no trail angels, water is scarce, elevations up to 14,000 feet, nonexistant trail in some areas, and towns are about a week apart. It has yet to have all the creature comforts of the AT. Id like to plan a 2013 thru hike.

1:49 a.m. on November 20, 2011 (EST)
57 reviewer rep
59 forum posts

Any idea how to get a hold of Google?

1:51 a.m. on November 20, 2011 (EST)
57 reviewer rep
59 forum posts

This is on my Bucket list also, Hopefully before I turn 60!  :)  Great High country trail.  Just plan on 4 to 6 months to do it in one shot.  Quite the adventure.

Wolfman

How about 2013!?

10:47 a.m. on November 20, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
912 forum posts

Main Contact Page

http://www.google.com/intl/en/contact/ 

Google's proposal page.

http://www.google.com/support/contact/bin/request.py?hl=en&contact_type=bizdev&rd=1

If you are really interested in doing this you probably need to be persistent. Write a proposal.

I don't think you could do a complete visual from end to end similar to the street level on google maps but a picture at critical points like trail junctions, water sources and camp sites, and non-critical points of interest (the main reasons why we hike) like views, water falls, etc.

It would mean more work for you having to document each water source, camp site/shelter, road crossing, etc.

2:45 p.m. on November 20, 2011 (EST)
119 reviewer rep
456 forum posts

Ben, Thanks for the Offer but that's just not possible for me right now. Here is my "General" plan for the next 5+ years.

2012 The Wonderland Trail around Mt. Rainer. 93 miles. With the kids, Son 10, daughter 14. (I was also hoping to do the JMT also, but I don't think it will work out)

2013 The JMT 220 give or take a few. Hopefully with the kids.

2014 The Pacific Northwest Trail, about 1250 miles, probably this would be a solo adventure, or just partway with the kids.

2015 The Pacific Crest Trail, 2650 or their about, I want to do this in 3 months, we'll see. :) That would also be my 50th year!! Most likely a solo hike, but maybe with the kids also. That would put my daughter at just finishing High School and my son just finishing Middle school.

2016... Maybe the CDT, or the AT, or one of the shorter trails. I do want to complete all three of the big trails, along with many of the other national trails.

One of my big issues is that I run my own company (Construction) so on the longer trails I have to figure out a way to keep the company going or close the doors for the summer, hard to do and very expensive, well see how it all works out but that is my overall plan, at least with regards to big hikes over the next 5 years.

Wolfman

11:45 a.m. on November 21, 2011 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
4,214 forum posts

I read a article years ago about a guy who hiked the AT, the CDT and the PCT all in one year. Can't imagine how anyone walks so fast!

My longest hike in 35 years was 256 miles in the Grand Canyon over 28 days in 1999.

Not much into the busy trails, I like going off on my own in areas where few others go.

9:14 p.m. on November 22, 2011 (EST)
57 reviewer rep
59 forum posts

Backpacker.com/cdt Looks like the magazine started google mapping it in 2007 and never finished it???

11:49 p.m. on November 22, 2011 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
1,245 reviewer rep
1,307 forum posts

Holy cow!  I envision a whole summer just for the AT!  

1:20 p.m. on November 23, 2011 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
4,214 forum posts

On my browser Bens clip plays as soon as I opened the post. Doesn't stop when I click on it?

1:02 a.m. on November 25, 2011 (EST)
57 reviewer rep
59 forum posts

Sorry Gary, works fine on my droid...?

1:49 p.m. on November 25, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
912 forum posts

Mines acting stupid too. Starts playing when I open the page without me hitting play. It will stop when I click the picture part.

2:19 p.m. on December 19, 2011 (EST)
RETAILER
5 reviewer rep
47 forum posts

See Lynne Wheldon's DVD, Overexposed it is all about the CDT and his multi season thruhike. It is available at Campmor.

October 22, 2014
Quick Reply