La Cloche Silhouette, Killarney Ontario

10:31 a.m. on September 1, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
8 forum posts

I've been planning this hike for a month or so, and I've been getting mroe and more excited for it. It's my first multi-day backpack trip. I've been gone for the same amount of time kayaking, but not hiking!

It's located on the northern part of Georgian Bay on Lake Huron.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killarney,_Ontario

It's an 80km trek through quartzite hills.

The Plan:

Sept 2:

Arrive at the park, camp in Lake George camp ground so I can get an early start the next day.

Sept 3 - 7:

Begin the hike with my parents who will tag along for a few km before turning back.You do have to pre-book campsites along the trail, which is fine for now. I plan on taking all sorts of pictures.

An interesting note is, if you schedule yourself 4 days or less to complete the trail, you are considered 'high risk' and you will have to pay for your own rescue should you need it.

My parents will again hike up the last portion of the trail and meet me somewhere along it, then hike out with me (They're great!).

I'll make sure I post some pictures from it once it's completed - even if it takes a few weeks. I'm usually pretty slow with that sort of thing.

6:34 p.m. on September 1, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
973 reviewer rep
598 forum posts

Hey Chris, first off welcome to Trailspace.

Second I just got back from Killarney, have you been there before? It is one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen. I've yet to put my pics up, been a little busy with the back to work stuff but I'll be sure to soon. Have fun man, it'll be some tough hiking!

9:20 p.m. on September 1, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
8 forum posts

I havn't been there!

I did hike the 20km loop in algonquin in a morning, and I do 10-20k on the Bruce Trail every weekend or so. 

I imagine it will be tough, but as long as it's worth it (and the pictures I've seen all seem to point that it is).

4:11 p.m. on September 2, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
973 reviewer rep
598 forum posts

It is well worth it. My avatar pic is actually from "the crack" section takin las year. It'll probably be a yearly trip for me since its so nice. Be sure to enjoy the sights!

10:18 a.m. on September 12, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
8 forum posts

It certainly was tough!

The first day it rained. Lots - until I got to camp, then the rain broke until I went to bed. Kinda worked out, but the walking was somewhat miserable.

The rest of the hike was either sunny or overcast (but no rain!) and much better.

The trail was more difficult then I had expected, but I was able to handle it. The first day I set a quick pace, as much to get out of the rain as I wasn't sure how long it would take. Following that I slowed down and started to enjoy the scenery more.

I'm not which trail I'd like to try next, but the Rockies look nice.

4:32 p.m. on September 12, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
973 reviewer rep
598 forum posts

Did you have the chance to check out Topaz lake? Its an acid rain lake and hence supports no life, visibility is amazing.

2:36 p.m. on September 14, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
8 forum posts

I didn't, I stayed pretty much on the trail for the majority of it other than when I accidentally wandered off a few times.

I wasn't sure how long each day would take me to get to my campsite, being fairly new at backpacking. I'd definitely go back though.

July 24, 2014
Quick Reply