About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

Flagstaff to Tucson by bicycle trip pictures

6:55 p.m. on October 2, 2011 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
3,925 forum posts

Tomorrow on Monday the 3rd I will start putting my pictures and trip report here from Trip Planning. I have to wait till I get to the Alpine Library then to have speeder Wifi, its too slow at the RV park I stopped at for the night for a shower and washing my clothes.

Look for my next report soon...

12:48 p.m. on October 3, 2011 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
3,925 forum posts

Eagar-and-Springerville-AZ-from-high-on-

Eagar and Springerville AZ from a overlook above on 180 South. The way I came across from Show Low/Scott's Reservoir is on the horizon across a hot treeless praire, 35 miles of open grassland.

Nelson-Lake-Reservoir-looking-SE-Oct-1-2

Nelson Reservoir between Eagar and Nurtioso, stopped here at 11 am for lunch.

Nutrioso-Community-Bldg-c-1938-Oct-1-201

Old Nutrioso building c 1938, stopped here to get out of sun for a couple hours and repack my gear.

Rabbitbrush-along-hwy-191E-Oct-1-2011.jp

Think this is called Rabbitbrush along Hwy 180, it grows all over Arizona.

62-horses-along-Hwy-191E-Oct-1-2011.jpg

62 horse ranch, at least thats what I counted in the pasture below outside Nutrioso AZ in the Apache-Sitgreaves Nat Forest, heading on 180 to Alpine AZ

Burnt-forest-and-green-grasses-Oct-1-201

Burnt forest areas cover much of the Apache-Sitgreaves area as they had Arizona largest forest fires last summer. I camped here night before last near Alpine Divide at 8550 feet. The trees are all black but the grasses are lush. Bet the Elk and bears are loving it!

Happy-camper-at-Alpine-Divide-Hwy-191E-O

A happy camper at sundown at Alpine Divide.

Alpine-Divide-at-8550-feet-along-hwy-191

Alpine Divide at 8550 feet. Heading down yesterday morning to Alpine.

High-mountain-ranch-along-hwy-191E-Oct-2

A farm/ranch along 180 between Nutrioso and Alpine AZ. Note the goats and chickens below left.

High-mountain-creek-near-Alpine-Divide-o

A high mountain stream along Alpine Divide.

Lupine-wildflower-along-191E-Oct-1-2011.

Lupine flower in burnt forest area, many plants and flowers were everywhere.

Town-of-Alpine-along-hwy-191E-Oct-2-2011

Coming into Alpine AZ at about 8 am Oct 2nd

Oct-2-and-3-2011-008.jpg

Old farmhouse and volcanic covered mountain views SW of Alpine

Oct-2-and-3-2011-009.jpg

Alpine AZ looking from eastern edge of town NW. Alpine Divide low point on horizon where I camped. Early morning around 7 am.

Oct-2-and-3-2011-011.jpg

Brother/sister? Raven greets the morning in Alpine

Oct-2-and-3-2011-012.jpg

Early morning fog over eastern end of Alpine

Oct-2-and-3-2011-014.jpg

Smoke from chimneys hovers over valley, burnt forest visable above. Such beautiful country!

Oct-2-and-3-2011-020.jpg

Oct-2-and-3-2011-021.jpg

Old original late 1800s sandstone house near downtown Alpine

Oct-2-and-3-2011-023.jpg

Looking south down Hwy 191 along the Apache-Sitgreaves National Forest and the old 1600s Coronado Trail. Coronado was the Conquistidor that came north from old Mexico seeking the Seven Cities of Gold the Aztec's told him of. From Zuni, New Mexico he dispatched his lead officer Tovar to find the Grand Canyon as discribed by the Indians.  They never even saw the Hopi (Ho-pee) villages atop the 3 mesa's as they blended well being there since the first 1000 years after Christ. Thankfully the Hopi were spared the ruthless slavery by the Spanish.

I am staying in Alpine till this afternoon then heading south to Safford AZ 135 miles away down Hwy 191.

Later...

1:25 p.m. on October 3, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,137 forum posts

Great stuff, Gary! It's fantastic seeing you out wandering and touring again, and it looks like you are enjoying every moment of it :)

11:52 a.m. on October 4, 2011 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
3,925 forum posts

Socked in by rain, still in Alpine AZ. Looks clearing to the east hopefully it will spread west. Cold at 47 degrees compared to in the 70s a couple days ago. Stayed another night here in town last. Have also a bothersome flat rear, not sure if the air pressure here at 7500 feet or the tube. When the sky drys more I will check it, changed my tube in Eagar a few days ago. No spare tubes in town, everyone goes to Springerville for stuff like that. Back up over the mounatins to the NW.

Snow-weigh-crushed-building-along-hwy-19

Check out this building crushed by winter snow last year. Would have never thought one of those buildings could be crushed?

1:00 p.m. on October 4, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
488 reviewer rep
1,106 forum posts

Wow Gary, what a lifestyle! Enjoy the adventure!

7:49 p.m. on October 5, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
42 forum posts

Gary, am enjoying your trip report with all of the photos.

Wishing you the best on this your latest adventure.

6:10 p.m. on October 6, 2011 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
3,925 forum posts

I am in Glenwood N. M. now. Rode just 20 miles today against a strong headwind. Camped last night at a summit near 7000 feet.

Pictures from the last few days since Oct 4th to today the 6th

Oct-4-to-6-2011-Alpine-AZ-to-Glenwood-NM

Storm clouds to the southwest from Alpine AZ where I stayed a couple nights waiting for the rain to quit. It was sunny when I left two days ago, then within an hour clouded up and rained again most of the morning.

Thunderheads build over the western mountain from Alpine AZ

My tent at the $5 a night campground, was nice to take a shower.

Welcome to New Mexico "Land of Enchantment" Scenic hwy 180

The San Francisco River bridge

Looking-upriver-on-the-San-Francisco-Riv

Upriver and...
Looking-downriver-on-the-San-Francisco-R

Downriver on the San Francisco River in west central New Mexico beginning of the Mogollen and Gila National Forest. The bridge in the upper foto is the old highway one.

Finally a downhill stretch after pedaling and walking up hill for a few miles. This tour is harder now at 55 years old than my last tour across Alaska in 2006 was at 50. Especially being I chose a route thru mountains.

Forest service cut trees as a fire break near the highway. In the summer of this year Arizona and western New Mexico experienced a huge wildfire. Much of the country I have traveled thru the last week has been burnt.

Crossing the San Francisco River again, but now 1000s of feet and 10 miles down the road from the first crossing. Smooth gentle farmland now.

Quite a change from its deep gorged section in the mountains.

Looking back the way I came. The high pointed double peak was near the upper section of the San Francisco canyon and old bridge.

My camp above Luna N. M.  Had to walk back 2.5 miles to Luna to use a air pump as my bike pump would not work that morning. Took me an hour to walk down and back. Been having problems with my rear tire not holding air, can't seem to find the problem.

Flash view inside and old rotted log. The two points sticking in are the ends of the trees limbs. It looked on the outside like soemthing was using the hole as a home.

Early morning fog at sunrise at my camp near Luna N.M.

After getting on the road again it took me 2 hours to pedal/walk up to this overlook in the San Francisco Mtns. Looking northeast.

About 7 miles down the road I am looking back up at the mountains I was in at the overlook. The overlook is high in the center of the picture.

Sunrise from my camp at near 7000 feet at Saliz Pass between Luna and Alma N.M.  Looked like another area hit by the wildfire. The country was mostly junipers so it was now almost barren of trees.

On-the-road-to-Mogollon-a-once-rich-gold

Historical marker for the old gold and silver mining otwn of Mogollon (Mo-go-ee-on)

The above two pics go side by side (I don't have photostich so I can't put them together) The Mogollon Mtns abover Glenwood N.M.

A-large-6-inch-lizard-on-the-Glenwood-Li

A large lizard on the Glenwood N.M. libray windao. When I first saw the lizard it was on the brown adobe wall and I thought it was made onto the wall. I moved closer and it moved jumping over onto the window screen.

I am staying in Glenwood tonight taking a break from this mornings fearce winds. Maybe two nights as I am traveling on Food Stamps as I had no savings from Flagstaff. My stamps for October start on Saturday.

Its 3 more miles to Pleasanton and where the San Francisco Hot Springs are. It seems its a 5 mile hike down from the highway to the uncommercialized springs. I may camp overnight down that way too and hike to the spring, my body and muscles will like that!

Its about 70 miles to the next town where I can get wifi so it might be a few days before I am online again.

10:16 a.m. on October 11, 2011 (EDT)
119 reviewer rep
456 forum posts

Heck of a trip Gary, keep safe and have a good trip.  I really like the photos and the ongoing trip reports.

Wolfman

4:29 p.m. on October 11, 2011 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
3,925 forum posts

Am in Willcox AZ now. I am on a library PC will add pictures in Benson AZ 30 miles west of here in a couple days. Going to stop at a ghost town called Johnson tomorrow along I-10.

12:21 p.m. on October 14, 2011 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
3,925 forum posts

Finally in Tucson, arrived this morning after staying my last night near Saguaro Nat Park East and Colossal Cave. I will put up some remaining trip pictures from Glenwood/San Francisco Hot Springs to Tucson later.

I need to find the main post office to check my mail and let my relatives know what it is.

It was 93 degree's when I got into east Tucson last afternoon.

April 18, 2014
Quick Reply