LHHT...a solo trip of rain and color(10-2/10-9)

11:27 p.m. on October 9, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

So I started out from the northern end of the LHHT this time. Needless to say it was wet as you will see. Sorry if the beginning photos were a lil "fuzzy."

My cam bit the dust on this trip so I had to get a lift off the mountain(thanks for the lift off the ridge hun,) snag up a new one, and get back up there. 
DSCI1265.jpg

The northern trailhead.
2011-10-02_14-59-55_387.jpg
I am a happy hiker, can't you tell?

DSCI1274.jpg

The higher I got the more it was coming down...

DSCI1272.jpg

I posted this on another thread(random sightings) that I have going on. Just an odd place for someone to tee off. 

DSCI1273.jpg

Patrick, I found one of those stacked rock thingies(cairn) to climb. Hmmm, I may need some gear for this one. ;)

012.jpg

Still cloudy lol.

013.jpg

Ooooh, the white stuff...

014.jpg

Guess what? Its still raining...

015.jpg

At this point and time my cam bit the dust due to moisture problems I previously mentioned so off the mountain I came to snag up a new one.

So far for a point and shoot I really like it. Its water/shock/dust/and freeze proof. The rest of the trip was taken with this cam.

2011-10-04_19-53-44_680.jpg

So I get back to the trail and the sky is alot clearer. I also instantly made a new friend on the trail. All 5+ ft of him/her. :)

017.jpg
018.jpg
021.jpg

...and now posing pretty for the pic.
025.jpg

I managed to stumble across this and thought it was pretty neat.

027.jpg

From above one of the many passage ways...

028.jpg

A few vista shots...(panorama)

035.jpg
039.jpg

Made another friend...

049.jpg

A few shots of the "lake in the woods" as I refer to it. 

050.jpg
051.jpg

The land that the Smurf's built has color? Who would've thunk it?

052.jpg

This is another one of my favorite spots on the trail to stop and "veg out."

056.jpg

More rocks in "Rocksylvania." Go figure. 

058.jpg

I think its safe to say the ol Scarpas are getting a workout.

062.jpg

Sugarloaf Mountain

065.jpg

Another vista shot...

066.jpg

A burst of color.

072.jpg

A shot from ridge to ridge.

080.jpg

Caught this shot on my way down.

085.jpg

Mile marker 1... Once again thats a rap folks.

088.jpg

At the end of the trail is this vehicle. I really want it in the worst way.

091.jpg

Over-all it was a great trip. Well except for the whole camera issue...

So while I waited for my wife to come snag me up from Ohiopyle(she wanted to finish watching the Steelers game) I figured I would shoot a few shots for those who have never been there. I have a really nice panoramic shot of the falls but for some reason it won't let me post it but anywho...

098.jpg

Not quite sure why someone would choose this spot to fish from... Hey Brian, "risky behavior?"
093.jpg

110.jpg

Natural water slides.

104.jpg
105.jpg
099.jpg

Thanks for taking a look. I will have another one for you all in the winter. :)

Happy hiking.

12:39 a.m. on October 10, 2011 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
395 forum posts

Nice TR Rick Thanx.  Def looks a bit chilly. Bet it was a nice change from the summer swelter tho. The new camera takes some nice pics. Really like the Snake pics, I hope you were using the zoom cuz it looks like you were face to face with it.

That bus thing would be an awesome expedition vehicle!

7:54 a.m. on October 10, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
857 reviewer rep
1,325 forum posts

Awesome Rick, looks like a great trip!

Although I dunno if I would attempt that climb without someone to belay you ,lol!

9:22 a.m. on October 10, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Hey Robert, the fall and winter are my 2 favorite months of the year.

I was actually pretty close to the snake. I have been bitten by one of these before. Not really harmful to humans(except for a possible infection to the bite area due to bacteria if not taken care of.) Definitely does not feel good though.

The bus was what Wilderness Voyageurs used back in the day to haul rafts and people for whitewater trips etc. 

I am seriously contemplating making them an offer on it. I bet the city would love to have that around. Especially after I fix er up and paint it all kinds of wild colors. 

Patrick, I figured you may get a giggle out of that one. You may be right though. I may very well need support for that monster. ;)

9:50 a.m. on October 10, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,149 forum posts

azrhino said:

I hope you were using the zoom cuz it looks like you were face to face with it.

aw, he's just a harmless lil' black rat snake :) His cousin, the corn snake, is actually actually very docile and make great pets, but people kill them all the time thinking they are copperheads. I don't know how  many times some moron has excitedly shown me the fearsome copperhead they just killed, only to hold up a beautiful Corn Snake.  I have yet to be able to convince one of those folks that in fact it wasn't a copperhead, and they just invited a bunch of rodents to infest their property. I don't think it is possible to get them to even consider that a venomous snake is ok to have around as well. 

10:00 a.m. on October 10, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,149 forum posts

Great trip, Rick. I am REALLY looking forward to getting out this weekend in the mountains. The autumn really effects me strongly, and I simply have to get out in it or I will be all out of sorts.

I actually really love it when it is foggy and drizzly, though lots of heavier constant rain is a bit of a downer. 

What river is that in your last few photos? 

11:14 a.m. on October 10, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Its the Youghiogheny(yok-uh-gey-nee)
River.

Here is a lil info on it if you are interested(wiki)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Youghiogheny_River

The smell in the air during autumn is priceless. Just an all around different experience. Love the fall foliage. 

On a side note I am with you on the whole killing of corn snakes(and snakes in general.) They are actually quite beneficial to have around. 

3:27 p.m. on October 13, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

"Ohiopyle" is thought to have been derived from the American Indian word ohiopehhla which means white frothy water.

Just a little bit of info for ya that was brought to my attention by my aunt.

December 22, 2014
Quick Reply