Aspen Grove Fall Color Hike

2:03 p.m. on October 13, 2011 (EDT)
81 reviewer rep
422 forum posts

Well, it's fall in the San Gorgonio Wilderness -- time for an annual rite of passage, a fall color hike to Aspen Grove.

First, I'll need some important supplies. Like a good friend. P1080303.JPG

And for an arduous trip like this I'll need some hard core hiking companions. P1080304.JPG

The first Aspens! P1080308.JPG

Welcome to YOUR national forest. P1080309.JPG

Walking in the upper grove. P1080312.JPG

Discovering important treasures. P1080319.JPG

And taking in the fall color P1080320.JPG

Along the trail P1080323.JPGP1080324.JPG

Still in the upper grove P1080325.JPG

Stopping in the lower grove P1080332.JPGP1080333.JPG

Rich colors! P1080334.JPGP1080347.JPG

Autumnal gold P1080350.JPGP1080351.JPG

A fall picnic P1080369.JPG

Satisfied customers P1080374.JPG

Well, it's starting to get a little cold P1080381.JPG

So it's time to hit the trail. P1080384.JPG

But not before we take one last look at Aspen Grove as the sun goes down behind the ridge. P1080383a.JPG

Bye, bye! P1080378.JPG

HJ

3:05 p.m. on October 13, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

Great hike, Jim :) 

I love that you got out there with the little tyke and her mommy (I presume?)

So, are permits required to just ENTER that area, or just for backcountry camping? And if it is just for entry, what is the reason given, what possible justification do they have? We have lots of national forest here in the Appalachian region, and none of them have such requirements. Heck, the national forest in Wyoming I've hiked and camped in do not have those requirements- and they've got grey wolves, brown bear, etc. 

3:32 p.m. on October 13, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

HJ, 

Thanks for sharing this report. Really liked how you finished it up with the "bye bye" pic. Thats cute.

The whole wilderness permit thing makes me kinda wonder a bit. Is this for over nighters etc?

Glad ya got the chance to get out there and suck it all in. I can't seem to get out enough. Thanks again for sharing this. Good job.

3:57 p.m. on October 13, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
770 reviewer rep
1,261 forum posts

I love it Jim! Great report...that last pic is just awesome...

Thank You

4:27 p.m. on October 13, 2011 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,160 reviewer rep
605 forum posts

Great report Jim. My favourite was the 'satisfied customer'!

4:28 p.m. on October 13, 2011 (EDT)
81 reviewer rep
422 forum posts

gonzan said:

Great hike, Jim :) 

I love that you got out there with the little tyke and her mommy (I presume?)

So, are permits required to just ENTER that area, or just for backcountry camping? And if it is just for entry, what is the reason given, what possible justification do they have? We have lots of national forest here in the Appalachian region, and none of them have such requirements. Heck, the national forest in Wyoming I've hiked and camped in do not have those requirements- and they've got grey wolves, brown bear, etc. 

Yep, that's mommy.  :)  The little tyke just turned two.  She's a chip off the old block.  She loves being "ow-side" (outside).

Yes, permits are required for all entry, day or overnight.  A different, easier to get permit is required for day only use, but you still have to have a permit, and each trailhead has a quota.

The area is fairly close to Los Angeles where some 15 million people live.  The area is very pretty, particularly when contrasted with the semi-arid areas that lie below it.  It was getting "loved to death" so the slapped permit requirements with quotas.

My beef isn't so much with the system as a whole, but Aspen Grove is a quarter mile from the trailhead and is never more than 100 yards within the wilderness boundary.  I think there ought to be an exception for a peripheral area like Aspen Grove.

HJ

4:29 p.m. on October 13, 2011 (EDT)
81 reviewer rep
422 forum posts

Rick-Pittsburgh said:

HJ, 

Thanks for sharing this report. Really liked how you finished it up with the "bye bye" pic. Thats cute.

Patman said:

I love it Jim! Great report...that last pic is just awesome...

Thanks, guys.

HJ

4:30 p.m. on October 13, 2011 (EDT)
81 reviewer rep
422 forum posts

Jake W said:

Great report Jim. My favourite was the 'satisfied customer'!

Thanks.  I thought that was a cute little photo.  :)

HJ

4:20 a.m. on October 14, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
622 reviewer rep
674 forum posts

Nice! Makes me realize how much more I wanted to do even in the Riverside area. Instead I'll be looking for some of that early snow this weekend...

10:54 a.m. on October 14, 2011 (EDT)
81 reviewer rep
422 forum posts

BigRed said:

Nice! Makes me realize how much more I wanted to do even in the Riverside area.

Thanks.  It was a fun little trip with the fam.

Instead I'll be looking for some of that early snow this weekend...

It's been really hot this week in So Cal. Probably won't be much snow left if any. Now if on the other hand you're headed to the southern sierra...

HJ

September 16, 2014
Quick Reply