Two quick hits to Slick Rock, In search of the Hangover & meeting Tipi

4:54 p.m. on October 16, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
755 reviewer rep
1,241 forum posts

My first trip to this forest area didn’t include a stop at the “Hangover” (as recommended by Bob, Gonzan and Tipi), so I aimed to make amends.

Once again I found myself with the backpack loaded and ready in the car while I waited for the “whistle” on Friday at work.

The start didn’t go smoothly this time. I ran into a traffic jam as I headed South from Knoxville which cost me about 45 minutes. I was using a trailhead that I had never driven to before; I took a wrong turn down an old country road that could have turned out much worse than just costing me time. The old road was so poor that my car bottomed out several times and I nearly got stuck. Luckily I ran into some hunters that knew the area and they pointed me back in the direction of the trailhead or I might have continued in the wrong direction for quite a ways.

Fall-2-2011-001.jpg

So it was 7:30 PM and nearly dark as I got ready to depart from Big Fat Gap in the Slick Rock Wilderness. Well, that gap is an intersection of four trails; I had intended to go down trail 41 (Big Fat Gap Trail), but having never been there before, having no sign posts at all, and in the failing light (ok, is that enough excuses?), I took the wrong trail (I went down trail 400 by mistake).

I had to turn on the headlamp within 10 minutes of hiking and almost immediately lost the trail. I wound up back tracking until I found it; such things are a little stressful on a solo hike at night. I realized that I was on the wrong trail when I came to sign post at Windy Gap and the junction of Nichols Creek trail 44. I had been there before and knew that I should turn south to go back towards my intended route. I made it somewhere near the intersection of 44 and 41 and lost the trail again (with the leaves down it was hard to see the route at night). This time I just moved towards the sound of the creek which was getting louder. I eventually stumbled into a fire ring and decided that would be home for the night.

Fall-2-2011-010.jpg

I made a small fire and didn’t stray far from camp that night. It was a nice temperate evening and the sound of the rushing creek was hypnotic.

Fall-2-2011-018.jpg

After striking camp I eventually figured out where I was and started up trail 42 back on track. This is Slick Rock creek as seen on my way up the “Nutbuster”.

Fall-2-2011-021.jpg

Well, another wrong turn on the trail took me to this campsite and this weird structure (I’m not sure what this was supposed to be). I found the correct route crossing a creek and continued.

Fall-2-2011-023.jpg

I remembered this little valley after a switch back from last time and knew I was on the right route.

Fall-2-2011-031.jpg

This was near somewhere near the area that I got stung on the head last time. That morning was nice weather-wise and unlike my first rainy/foggy trip on that trail, I was able to appreciate its beauty.

Fall-2-2011-039.jpg

Fall-2-2011-040.jpg

These pictures were taken from a heath bald near an area known as Naked Ground.

Fall-2-2011-042.jpg

This was a view into North Carolina from the large fire-ring campsite at Naked Ground. I rested here and filled up my water from the spring I found on my last trip here. That really is a tough climb with a pack on.

Fall-2-2011-045.jpg

This was an example of the beautiful ridge top trail as I continued on trail 53.

Fall-2-2011-050.jpg

Here was Saddle Tree Camp. As it turned out, I would return to that spot next week, but didn’t know that at the time.

After that camp I came to a trail sign on which all I could make out was “Hangover lead” and assumed that was the was to the overlook, so off I went (even though it didn’t exactly make sense based on my map).

Fall-2-2011-060.jpg

Fall-2-2011-062.jpg

Well, that trail took me to a heath bald and a spur trail to an overlook that had amazing views. But I knew from Gonzan’s and Tipi’s pictures that that wasn’t the Hangover. So I figured it must be farther along.

Fall-2-2011-069.jpg

Fall-2-2011-070.jpg

I passed through some beautiful foliage areas but before I knew it I was back to Big Fat Gap and my car. Having responsibilities that weekend I went ahead and headed out, beaten but not defeated I vowed to return to find the Hangover!

Fall-3-2011-001.jpg

OK, it was a week later and I was able to get off work a little early in hopes of avoiding a night hike. I had corresponded with Gonzan on Trailspace during the week and discovered where I went wrong. I also learned that Tipi might be up at the Hangover to visit with the “Southern Highlanders” (a hiking group whom I don’t know much about). Again I started from Big Fat Gap but his time I would hike up the Hangover Lead trail on a more direct route.

Fall-3-2011-003.jpg

Here a peek at a peak on the way up.

Fall-3-2011-004.jpg

I made it up to Saddle Tree Gap and I recognized that tent…

Fall-3-2011-007.jpg

And here was Tipi Walter visiting with the Highlanders! He was on day 11 I think. After making our greetings, I went on up to the Hangover and checked it out. Wow what a cool place! It was getting late so I came back down to find a place to make camp. Tipi graciously offered to let me find a spot near his camp and also mentioned that the Saddle Tree camp was open so I went up there.

Fall-3-2011-016.jpg

Fall-3-2011-017.jpg

This was my camp at the Saddle Tree.

After getting my camp stuff done, I started to head back down to the Gap and visit with Tipi and ran in to him coming up to say hello. We sat around my camp shooting the breeze until the sun went down. It was so very cool to finally meet the legend!

It was a beautiful but cold night at the Saddle Tree Camp, and the wind became fierce. My little BA Fly Creek tent was guyed-out pretty tightly but still flapped like crazy that night.

Fall-3-2011-024.jpg

Fall-3-2011-025.jpg

Sunrise from camp…I couldn’t really capture it, but the moon was still visible well after sun rise.

Fall-3-2011-029.jpg

After striking camp I came down the trail just in time to catch TW about to perform the gravity defying power lift needed to get that massive pack up in the air. Lol, I hefted it just once myself and that whole no-resupply-thing is no joke! Whew, what a beastly load.

Fall-3-2011-030.jpg

This was the recovering clear-cut on the way to the Hangover. I think most of the tents were from the Southern Highlanders and it made a neat picture; “tent city” as it were.

Fall-3-2011-031.jpg

And I asked one of the other campers to get this pic of me and Tipi for posterity as we hiked up to the Hangover.

Fall-3-2011-032.jpg

Fall-3-2011-034.jpg

I took many photos but this spot has been pretty well documented so I just posted a few. It was an awesome morning to be up there.

Fall-3-2011-038.jpg

I scuttled down to the “sub-overlook” or what the Highlanders called the “Holy of Holies”.

Fall-3-2011-039.jpg

This was my favorite picture of the trip; Tipi silhouetted against a glorious autumn sky.

After hanging out on the overlook and visiting some more we hiked back down to the Gap where Tipi stopped to visit with another fellow he knows and I headed out. I had obligations that weekend also and unfortunately couldn’t stay.

Fall-3-2011-045.jpg

Fall-3-2011-048.jpg

Again, I took the spur trail down to the heath bald / rock overlook off of the Hangover lead trail…yep it was still gorgeous.

Fall-3-2011-051.jpg

Fall-3-2011-053.jpg

That section back to Big Fat Gap had some rockin' color happening…

Fall-3-2011-058.jpg

Fall-3-2011-059.jpg

I stopped at a nice campsite for lunch and while wandering found those cool rocks that seemed strangely out of place.

Fall-3-2011-071.jpg

Fall-3-2011-073.jpg

Fall-3-2011-076.jpg

Man that place was so pretty I really didn’t want to go…

Fall-3-2011-082.jpg

Fall-3-2011-083.jpg

All trips must end eventually and I was back to the car before I wanted to be.

This was a great paring of quick hitting trips and even though the first weekend didn’t start well it was very much worth any troubles. I finally got to see the Hangover and a cool bonus was to meet the man who inspired me to start writing my trip-reports! I came away even more inspired to get out there! Tipi is a special person and his love of wilderness is effervescent, awesome, and quite infectious. I hope to one day experience the feeling of heading out on a 20 day trip with the trail and wilderness laid out before me….hope springs eternal they say.

Happy Trails!

5:56 p.m. on October 16, 2011 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
395 forum posts

Once again another excellent report Patman. The fall colors are amazing.

Ive done some 14 day hunting trips with base camps that were a blast, but a 20 day pack trip would be just to cool!

6:34 p.m. on October 16, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Great TR Patrick, the colors this time of year are nothing short of phenomenal. Then there is the smell of fall, the cool crisp air, and the lack of those flying things that like to use ones body as a buffet... 

I feel another trip coming on here very shortly. ;)

Awesome photos. Thanks alot for sharing. 

8:07 a.m. on October 17, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
755 reviewer rep
1,241 forum posts

@AZ,

Thanks…shoot, I’d be happy with even a 14 day base camp (I bet that was a blast)!

I do make the most of my weekends; so far I’ve done about 18 trips this year with 30-something “bag nights” which is good I guess (considering I work about 46 hours per week and don’t get many vacation days).

@Rick,

Thanks very much…yeah this is prime-time for sure. We should petition (or something) for culture change: every fall there should be at least a two month “work-free” zone where every interested citizen should be excused from the daily grind and allowed to go live in the woods for the duration. Yeah, that sounds right…

9:31 a.m. on October 17, 2011 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,329 reviewer rep
1,219 forum posts

Nice Fall color.  Was that a guitar on your pack?  Very cool.

10:13 a.m. on October 17, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
755 reviewer rep
1,241 forum posts

Jeff,

Yes it was. It’s a Baby Taylor ¾ size travel guitar that I take out occasionally. It’s getting a little too cold now though. The model I have is mahogany and is in danger of cracking if it gets too cold. With case, it only weighs about 5.5 pounds so really not much of an extra burden. I did find that some of the trails in Slick Rock aren’t maintained well enough to have anything too bulky hanging off your pack. So I usually only bring it when I know the trail is good and open.

2:11 p.m. on October 17, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
8 forum posts

Uncle-Fungus-048.jpg

Was there to.

Hoppin John

2:13 p.m. on October 17, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
8 forum posts

Uncle-Fungus-056.jpg

2:14 p.m. on October 17, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Hey Hoppin John, welcome to Trailspace. Glad to have ya aboard. 

2:24 p.m. on October 17, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

Well, I had a nice long comment all typed out...and then my internet went on the Fritz before I clicked "post." Annoying. My brother, his friend, and I all made it up there late Saturday evening. I am bummed I didn't get there in time to meet up with either you or Tipi, Patman :( I will post photos and a report later today (geez, I still have to post my Tetons report, too!)

2:27 p.m. on October 17, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

Hoppin John, Glad to have you here on tdrailspace! were you part of the Southern Highlander gathering? If you were there Saturday night, I was the Guy who rolled in to the clearing at around midnight and asked if we could bring our friend up to the fire so be could warm up. I was much abliged by the Highlander's kindness in sharing their fire, and it was nice meeting some of them

3:17 p.m. on October 17, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
8 forum posts

I was at naked ground when you came through after dark.  Thanks for the welcome aboard.  I'm a friend of Tipi.

3:44 p.m. on October 17, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
755 reviewer rep
1,241 forum posts

Hey John! It was good to meet you! Glad ya'll didn't get blown off the mountain...lol and thanks for the photos! It was a busy day on the mountain huh?

Gonzan,

Yeah I was bummed to miss you....I had family obligations and couldn't stay. So you guys night hiked from Beech Gap?

4:50 p.m. on October 17, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

We actually started at Big Fat Gap as well, as I've never hiked from that trailhead before, or the trails that leaves from it. We got there just before sundown, so we had about 45-60 min of hiking light. Unfortunately, my brother's friend is quite out of shape and had never been hiking before, so it took us an unbelievable five to six hours. It was certainly an exercise in patience.

5:02 p.m. on October 17, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
755 reviewer rep
1,241 forum posts

@G

Wow…kudos for your patience. I suppose I learned my lesson on my Grand Canyon trip about taking folks that weren’t reasonably proven. I certainly won’t be taking any newbie backpackers on any substantial trips if I can help it.  :)

And you took a newbie on a night hike in a quite rugged wilderness to boot….big cahoonas on ya! lol

10:30 p.m. on October 19, 2011 (EDT)
87 reviewer rep
1,061 forum posts

Nice report patman. Glad you and tipi met up!!! Would have been cool of Gonzan had also. Timeing it all can be so hard.. Always look forward to the Tennesee report's..

7:46 a.m. on October 20, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
755 reviewer rep
1,241 forum posts

Hey thanks Denis....Good to hear from you! Did you complete the AT?

August 20, 2014
Quick Reply