Cummins Creek

8:10 p.m. on October 20, 2011 (EDT)
314 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

Started the trail around 6pm after work and the hour drive. Found one of the trailheads and got on the move as the sun was waining, and I dont hike in the dark. As fate would have it 2 miles in I zigged when I should have zagged. I had bought little water with me as I thought I would be on the creek trail. Up to the top of the ridge I went. At 1200' I stopped to find a small clearing for camp. The ground was so soft. And follage was so alife and green. I knew that I took a wrong turn but the missed turn was a wonder in itself. By myself in this surround was just so peaseful. I'll worry about water tomorrow. After I ate and read a little bit, I headed to bed.

100_3287.jpg

I woke the next morning to a blue sky. I ate and made my morning coffee with the last of my water. I figued I would still find some water along the trail. So up the trail I headed. When I say up, I meen up.

100_3290.jpg

100_3291.jpg

I stopped to get a picture of my mug next to a tree.

100_3293.jpg

100_3294.jpg

Around 4 miles I came across a clearing, This gave me hope for a small stream. There was no water to be found. Though my binoculars I could see were I was supposed to be (1600 feet below me). And yes there was water there.
 100_3300.jpg

100_3301.jpg Finding more and more beauty with every step. I was on a wonderful trail, not another soul around. Just how I love to travel.

100_3303.jpg

This is the final overlook on the ridge looking back toward the ocean,
100_3302.jpg

I felt my feet and legs start to go down hill. I felt kinda sad that I was moving off the ridge. But at the same time I knew that water would be found. Its been a hard 10-12 mile hike but I found the water!
100_3304.jpg

This was the next bend in the trail right after I got water. There was a sign there. I was one mile from the car. So much for spending another night. I was very disapointed as I could spend a week out there on those trails.
100_3307.jpg

100_3309.jpg

Next time I will head south along the lower trail. There are so many unmarked trails leading off the main ones. Those are for anther time.

3:21 a.m. on October 21, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
112 forum posts

Such clear, crisp pics--must've been a beautiful day, and the greenery is so rich--I can see why you didn't want to leave!  I don't get around much; where is the Cummins Creek area?  How do you get to the trailhead?  Thanks, Mike, for sharing your trip.

6:07 a.m. on October 21, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Hey Mike. Nice tr. Really good pics. I appreciate these trail reports because it gives me the opportunity to see something different compared to my typical trips.

I appreciate you taking the time to share this with us. Thanks, good stuff.

8:08 a.m. on October 21, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
755 reviewer rep
1,224 forum posts

That is some beautiful "enchanted forest" Mike.  Thanks for sharing the trip! I don't know about you but when I run out of water all I can think about is how thirsty I am (whether I really am or not....). :)

10:17 a.m. on October 21, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

I love this report, Mike. Thanks for posting it. Did you hike the whole day without water? (!) I am with Patman, I can't function very well if I don't have water.  

That shot of your "mug" is great :)

10:25 a.m. on October 21, 2011 (EDT)
87 reviewer rep
1,057 forum posts

Great report Mike. Your area seems beutiful. Thanks for shareing it..

7:10 a.m. on October 22, 2011 (EDT)
314 reviewer rep
1,124 forum posts

This area has a maze of interconnecting trails around the Cape Perpetua  area on the Oregon coast. The route I took was 17 miles. I backpacked around 11 miles before finding water. Had I took the 23 mile hike I would have been in the lower area along a creek bed.

Next year I'm going to start at the 3 capes  and hike down to Pacific City (25+ miles). This starts in the high coastal mountians, winds around the 3 capes ending along the beach. At the end of the hike there is a marsh area that I will have to cross at low tide. Rita will be waiting for me at the Brew Pub.

I will check the maps and do a better job reshearching the area for water. As I found out that 11 miles w/o water is one heck of a long hike.

6:17 p.m. on October 22, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
112 forum posts

What a great combination of surf & turf hiking--sho'nuf big woods out there!  I helped fight a forest fire in Olympia about 45 years ago, and, sadly, haven't had the chance to go back to see that beautiful country in better times.  I am a coffee-hound, too, especially on crisp mornings; so, if you recommend any special equipment for making good coffee on the trail, I'd be grateful.  Thanks again for those pictures that brought back old memories!

July 24, 2014
Quick Reply