Quick South Sister trip!

12:14 p.m. on October 24, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

HI Everybody!  i had to go down to the Bend area last week to pick up a snowmobile and seeing its a 7 hour drive one way we decided to do a quick overnighter on South Sister.

We took the southside climbers route and stayed at Moraine lake. it is 5.75 miles one way to the summit with a 5400ft elevation gain. Sorry no pictures of the first few miles.

Last chance for water. this is the last water hole before the summit. you can not see the true summit from here just the summit rim.
DSCF0019.jpg
my good friend on the summit. Mt Batcholer in the background.
DSCF0029.jpg
looking north at Middle and North sisters. we hiked middle Sister back in 2009. behind that i do believe it goes Mt Jefferson, Mt Hood, and you can make out Mt adams! DSCF0024.jpg
her is a picture of the crater. in late august a pool of water forms. right now though its a beautiful natural quarterpipe! wish i had my board!
DSCF0032.jpg
Looking south.... one of many lava flows in the area. the little cone to the left of the flow is called Little Broken Top. you can make out Mt Thielsen left of the  picture.
DSCF0033.jpg
the real Broken Top!
DSCF0037.jpg
well thats it,thats all!  i hope you all enjoy the pictures!

12:19 p.m. on October 24, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

SORRY! i have no idea how i managed to make 3 threads! can someone delete the other 2 please! again i am Sorry!

3:37 p.m. on October 24, 2011 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Hey DUI, welcome to Trailspace. No worries. I went in and took care of that. It happens. 

By the way awesome TR and great pictures. Thanks alot for sharing this with us. 

4:19 p.m. on October 24, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
755 reviewer rep
1,226 forum posts

I second that... What a cool hike! I love seeing those places out west that are so foreign to me. I’m a bit jealous of your big mountains out there. Thanks for showing!

11:48 p.m. on October 24, 2011 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
29 forum posts

Nice pictures DUI.  I really love that area.  Patman if you ever come out west Bend is not a bad place to set up operations.  Cool town close to lots of fun hiking, snowboarding, river rafting, mountain biking and fishing.  

9:53 a.m. on October 25, 2011 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

Very nice, I haven't done much out west, but what little I have has only served to whet my thirst for the higher ranges.

11:08 a.m. on October 25, 2011 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,325 reviewer rep
1,206 forum posts

Great Post DUI!

Its kinda funny, I have pics from Adams looking South at the Sisters.  Its cool to see the view from the other direction.

-Jeff

July 31, 2014
Quick Reply