About | Blog | Forums | People | Free Newsletter
Trailspace is a product review site for outdoor enthusiasts. Use it to find and share great gear.

A trip full of Canadian stereotypes...

7:29 p.m. on October 25, 2011 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
973 reviewer rep
570 forum posts

Finally talked my Dad into trading in his road bike for his boots (at least for one weekend!) to head to Algonquin Park, Ontario. We were able to get away around 4 on Friday and right into the middle of traffic! God I hate the city.....
DSC02286.jpg

Clearly a little happier to be out of the smog and haze! Side note: Wearing the EMS Bergalene there (previous thread), didn't take it off all weekend, kept me warm and out of the wind at around 6 degrees celcius.
DSC02198.jpg

DSC02201.jpg

My faithful companion and righthand man, Rocky.
DSC02221.jpg

DSC02262.jpg

Me, Rocky and my all-too-athletic Mastiff Moose.
DSC02273.jpg
Lost light up there for night number one.
DSC02306.jpg

Day 2, little bit lower elevation.
DSC02317.jpg
DSC02321.jpg

DSC02325.jpg

Canadian sighting number #1.
DSC02349.jpg

DSC02344.jpg

#3 This guy looked to be about 5 feet at the shoulders. (That is of course a guesstimation from a distance!)
DSC02233.jpg

DSC02357.jpg

And to complete the Canadianna- Our accomodation for night number 2. (One of the sacrifices I had to make to get my Dad out! Something about he's an old man and he likes a bed to sleep in! Ha ha ha.) Little log cabin in the middle of paradise.
DSC02359.jpg

DSC02364.jpg

Tiny little door, not much more then 5 feet. They build them small for 2 reasons. One is obviously to trap some heat in winter. Smaller opening = less air flow. The other is to maintain the structural integrity of the top couple beams of wood.

Overall a great trip. Temperatures got down to -3 celcius the second night so winter is coming my friends, and I for one can't wait!

2:22 a.m. on October 26, 2011 (EDT)
486 reviewer rep
1,356 forum posts

What a nice trip! Thanks for sharing!

6:32 a.m. on October 26, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
316 reviewer rep
655 forum posts

That's nice territory. We did a week long, 2-family canoe trip in Algonquin in about 2001, in a hot-dry August when there was a fire ban. Caught some lake trout, had at least one day of tough upwind paddling, a couple of long carries that we had to double to get all the boats and gear across -- and a lot of good memories.

6:58 a.m. on October 26, 2011 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
488 reviewer rep
1,106 forum posts

Good report Jake! I love seeing these areas so far from me...

Did the moose react to you? I've read that they can be temperamental.

5:42 p.m. on October 26, 2011 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
973 reviewer rep
570 forum posts

BigRed- Yeah that area is actually more famous for its canoeing then backpacking, and who can blame them. I'll bet your family had a great time. I was actually talking about doing a canoe trip around there, never done one before I'd have to get some advice and training. Do you remember what lakes you hit?

Patrick- These 2 didn't react although you need to be especially carefull in autumn as it is their rut season. I have had them react before, luckily they were bluffing and I got out of dodge quickly! If they want to I stand little to no chance. I've seen many animals in the Canadian wilderness (bears, coyotes, wolves) and the bull Moose intimidates me the most.

April 18, 2014
Quick Reply