Superstition Wilderness - Coffee Flats trail

12:31 a.m. on December 18, 2011 (EST)
38 reviewer rep
395 forum posts

I got couple of unexpected days off work so put together a quik Solo trip into the Superstion Mtns. After 3 months on the shelf I finally got to get out again. It felt good to get the pack on again and be beat'n down the trail.

Finally got to field test some new gear too.

Salomon Quest GTX
Solomons.jpg

MH Mountain Tech Jacket
MH-Jacket.jpg

SD Ridge Runner 30 and Therm-a-rest Neoair
SD-Ridge-Runner-30.jpg

And most important piece of new gear to be tested....... my new plumbing!  I cant post any pics of my new arterial stent but trust me its there.

Trip was a short one, about 9 miles round trip but man did I enjoy it. With out getting all sniffling and sappy I gotta say I truely appreciate these trips alot more now.

Weather was great temp wise, Hi about 60 low about 40. Wind got a bit harry at night tho. From around 11 pm thru 4 am I dont know what the wind speeds were but my little Kelty was a flex'n and a bow'n big time! Was probably the worst wind Ive ever delt with in a tent before, was surprised it made it thru the night. So safe to say not much sleep.

Just a few pics from the trip, forgot to pack the camera so took these with my phone(works better than the camera half the time anyway)

Headed out on the Dutchman Trail 104
Trail-1.jpg

took that for aprx. 2.5 miles towards Miners Needle (left corner)Miners-Needle.jpg 

just a few pics from along the way
Saguaro-s-and-Peaks.jpg

view-2.jpg
view-1.jpg

We had alot of rain recently so there is plenty of water around
Fresh-water.jpg

I make over to the Miners Needle and catch to Coffee Flat trail
Miners-Needle-up-close.jpg

from here Im afraid Im gonna run phone Bats dead so no more pics...... OK one more from in the morning on my way back to camp from a exploratory hike. Its kinda hard to see it but that blue speck in the middle is my tent.
Blue-speck-tent.jpg

Other than the gale force winds trying to destroy my tent it was an excellent well needed trip. Im very happy with how all my new gear worked.  Boots are comfy and give good traction in the rocky and sandy deserts. Jacket did a wonderfull job of keeping the wind out and the warmth in, very comfy too. Sleeping pad, my first air mat for packing......OMG why did I wait so long. Didnt real get cold enuff to test the SD bag, but was warm with zipper undone alnight.

And best of all ....... my new stent worked flawlessly! Well guess thats kinda being Captain Obvious since Im able to write this report :)

12:47 a.m. on December 18, 2011 (EST)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Glad to see ya out an about. I have the previous version of that jacket(Windstopper Tech.) Keep on keeping on my friend.

1:43 a.m. on December 18, 2011 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,217 reviewer rep
607 forum posts

Glad you're out again, happy and healthy!

2:08 a.m. on December 18, 2011 (EST)
38 reviewer rep
395 forum posts

Thanx. Im most def much happier now. Gotta keep a little slower pace now but that just gives me more time to stop and enjoy the views

I just got the MH jacket to replace a TNF that was a great insulating layer under a shell but on its own was useless in the slightest wind. Im totally happy with the MH.

1:00 p.m. on December 18, 2011 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
770 reviewer rep
1,267 forum posts

AZR,

Back in the saddle! Just awesome....

Are the Quest boots working for you? (I'm going to get another pair myself after I get my orthotics. )

3:39 a.m. on December 19, 2011 (EST)
38 reviewer rep
395 forum posts

Thanx Pat

So far so good with the Boots. Ive had em out on some day hikes a few times but this was the first time I got em out with a hefty pack on. I think they're real comfy and gave me no problems. Didnt get to test em for water proofness tho.  I like the new Olive color Quests, guess thats why the had the Pumpkin Boots on clearence when I got mine.

I just found a couple of pics I forgot to post
new-1.jpg
new-2.jpg

11:00 a.m. on December 19, 2011 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

So great to see you get back out on the trail! 

3:46 p.m. on December 19, 2011 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
4,156 forum posts

Is that one shot of the tall cacti with all the tall arms a saguaro or an organ pipe ?

2:19 a.m. on December 20, 2011 (EST)
38 reviewer rep
395 forum posts

Thanx gonzan.

Thats a Saguaro. The area is just loaded with them, alot of tall Old Timers. That one was probably top of the list for most arms out there.  Alot of  Saguaro skelletons still standing too. 

Im gonna try and do another overniter out there before going on a multi-day to Reavis Ranch, also in the Superstions. Will try to remember to pack the camera for some better cactus pics.

I just love winter hiking in the deserts!

9:28 a.m. on December 20, 2011 (EST)
87 reviewer rep
1,063 forum posts

Glad your back at it. pictures look great. Daytime temps had to be in the sixties for you. Nice report...

3:09 p.m. on December 20, 2011 (EST)
102 reviewer rep
2,295 forum posts

Wind got a bit harry at night... ..not much sleep.

I find ear plugs an essential sleeping accessory for windy nights in a tent, or enduring a snoring tent mate.

Ed

9:34 p.m. on December 20, 2011 (EST)
38 reviewer rep
395 forum posts

Ear plugs might have helped for sure. Now if I can find some way to stop waking myself from my own snoring.

Temps were in the low 60's. Its been just gorgeous lately, cant wait to get out again.

12:36 p.m. on December 25, 2011 (EST)
119 reviewer rep
456 forum posts

Great that the stint work went well and your back at it! (Not that I knew you were having it done. :) But anything that make life easier is good.)  Great country for winter hiking, although I wounder what it's like in the middle of summer! :)  Bet it's HOT! :D

Very glad your back out and at it again, just take it easy, no point in rushing it all!

Wolfman

12:29 p.m. on December 26, 2011 (EST)
38 reviewer rep
395 forum posts

Yep winter is the time to enjoy the deserts, water can still be hard to find at times unless there has been some recent rain or snow up high. This trip temps were perfect. Ive been out there before when the lows get into the teens but then ussualy warms up nice.

Summer time..... Oh heck no! You wont catch me out there

12:43 p.m. on December 26, 2011 (EST)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Ahhh, summer is great. 100+ with the heat index here. Humidity levels above 70%...

Kinda feels like being in a sauna while wearing a down suit. :)

Not like I know what that feels like. I stick with synthetics in wet, humid climates. :)

1:29 p.m. on December 26, 2011 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
4 forum posts

Awesome Rob! Can't wait to get on trail with you again.

1:43 p.m. on December 26, 2011 (EST)
38 reviewer rep
395 forum posts

Hey Matt, good to see ya chimin in. Most def looking forward to our trip. Gonna have to start doing some research.

Summer here means the deserts are closed as far as Im concerned. Way to frikin hot and the sun is just brutal.  But ya can drive a couple hours north to the pines up around 7000 ft. and enjoy much cooler temps and shade.

September 23, 2014
Quick Reply