A 6 day 5 night January stroll through the hills with "Big Blue."

1:39 p.m. on January 11, 2012 (EST)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

There is just something about a winter hike to me that cannot be matched by backpacking in the warmer seasons.

Maybe its the solitude that comes with the colder seasons; maybe its the way the trees talk to you when you are on a ridge when the wind is blowing through them; then again maybe its that bite in the air that one experiences in the morning and the inside of your tent looks like it is "frosted."

Whatever it is winter is one of my top 2 favorite seasons(fall being the other.)

This ended up not being one of my typical trips. It wasn't a thru-hike. It was more of a dysfunctional foray through the hills in my most familiar stomping grounds. 

There was no planning... Let me rephrase that. There were no plans as to exactly where I was going in any specific order. That all kind of panned out as the trip progressed. 

Typically I would either start at the south and end north or vise-versa.

Not this solo trip. 

This trip was different. I would find myself meandering around the hills with no plans, no schedule, etc other than what time I had to make my pick-up point.

This was quite different than my typical planned out trip. Simply put there was no rhyme or reason to any of it and I loved it.

Day 1 starts(or should I say night?)

My initial plan was to stay at the route 30 shelter site, then head south to the turnpike shelter to meet up with Dane Cramer who wrote a book on the LHHT called "Romancing the Trail" and a few of his hiking buddies that were doing an over-nighter.

So I started at route 30. I ended up getting up there when the sun was setting so I had a choice. Hike to the shelter which was a half mile away or trudge through the frozen terrain to the next shelter site at night miles away.

Lets see, its dark, well below freezing, everything is covered in snow & ice, and I am full of energy...

Seemed like an easy choice to me. Its obviously the right conditions for a solo night hike. So let the fun begin.

Off I went into the darkness... 
LHHT-January-2012-003.jpg

It looks as though I am not the only one that thought a night time stroll on the trail was a great idea. Kinda nice having someone... well make that some critter blazing the trail for me. 

LHHT-January-2012-004.jpg

Instantly the trail gave me a heads-up that I was in need of more traction. I found this out by doing an unintentional split on the trail. Now for those out there who have not experienced the pure joy and excitement of doing a split on ice with a gimpy leg, and a 60lb+ pack let me tell you that it will definitely raise the voice a few octaves.

After my best impersonation of "Dancing with The Stars" out came the Hillsound Trail Crampon Pros. This should even the playing field a bit.

LHHT-January-2012-005.jpg

I ended up hiking for 4 miles or so when a nasty wind storm kicked up. Seems like the wind always kicks up when I am on the trail. So I sat on a log and pondered my options. Should I keep on trudging to the shelter site in sub freezing temps, at night, in some hairy weather solo or should I set my tent and hunker down for the night?

With all the crackling of the trees, my limited visibility overhead, and the thought of a widow maker possibly crashing down on my noggin I opted to set camp for the night. Estimated wind gusts were in the 50mph range and I just didn't want to take any unnecessary chances. Solo hiking in these conditions at night is just an unnecessary risk as far as I am concerned. The trail will still be there when I wake up.

So I found the best area I possibly could in a pinch and set camp. 

The next morning the weather was making a change. I woke up to absolutely no wind and the sun was beaming bright down on me.

LHHT-January-2012-006.jpg

I made some coffee, ate a few granola bars, and headed south to meet up with Dane and the rest of the crew.

Let me say. It was a beautiful day for a hike.

LHHT-January-2012-007A.jpg

I strolled around on the trail for awhile and came across an interesting site on the trail. The saying "these shoes were made for walking" came to mind. I just couldn't figure out where the owner went lol.

LHHT-January-2012-009.jpg

I eventually made my way to Beam Rock. This is a great spot for a great view and climbing if that is what one likes to do.

LHHT-January-2012-010.jpg

These rocks are a bit larger than what they appear in the pics. They are around 80ft at their tallest point.
LHHT-January-2012-011.jpg

Now as I was making my way through this area I saw something that totally disgusted me. I am not going to say what I personally feel but I am sure after one look at this you can get an idea of what I feel towards this "senseless garbage."

LHHT-January-2012-013.jpg

LHHT-January-2012-014.jpg

I eventually got over my utter and complete disdain for whoever decided that their "artwork" was needed on the trail and proceeded along my way.

The turkey now took the lead.

LHHT-January-2012-015.jpg

I made my way to the shelter area where I dumped my pack and sat for a bite to eat. I decided to name my pack "Big Blue" at this time because I thought it was fitting and it was simple.

LHHT-January-2012-016.jpg

At this point I met up with Dane, Rick(Legs,) and a few other gentlemen arrived a short time later. We all sat in Dane's shelter getting acquainted and gabbing about gear, and just talking. Dane & Rick had a great fire going and the temp was dropping. 

After awhile I felt my eyes getting heavy so I told them I was going to set up my tent. They graciously offered to let me crash in their shelter with them but due to a snoring issue I have at times I politely told them that I would just crash out in my tent and see them in the morning. 

The next day I awoke to an empty camp... at 11am. Woah, I didn't plan on sleeping in that late. I missed Dane & the guys rolling out. I really wanted to get a group photo. I am sure there will be other times.

They were all really a great bunch of guys.

So I have some coffee, shovel a bit of oatmeal down my throat, and off I go north. It was alot warmer today(low 40s)and the snow has slowly been melting. By mid day except in a few areas of higher elevation most of the snow had melted. This made for a soupy mess in some areas but all the same it was just a peaceful walk in the hills. 

LHHT-January-2012-017.jpg

Towards the latter part of the day the clouds rolled in blocking the sun and the temps dropped back below freezing. The wind was also kicking up again. I added my Windstopper jacket and gloves. I eventually ended up back at the rt30 shelter area and set camp. 

LHHT-January-2012-022.jpg

So its a new dawn, a new day.

I decided to stop and shoot a pic of an old road that I crossed. I have many times wondered if the trees could talk what stories would they tell and I once again found myself wondering the same thing about this road.

I am sure there are countless stories it could tell if it had the ability to do so.

LHHT-January-2012-023.jpg

As I traveled I decided to acquire myself a seat to just sit and soak it all in. The song that the trees were singing to me was quite a familiar one that I have heard many times over.

Its a tune I just cannot seem to get enough of. 

LHHT-January-2012-029.jpg

So after I sat and absorbed my surroundings I again donned "Big Blue" and proceeded on my way when I came across this feather. It kind of got me thinking that if I found enough of these I could maybe make my own down bag, or sweater. Hmmmm... ;)

LHHT-January-2012-030.jpg

After giving this a great deal of thought(I'm serious) I once again proceeded on my way through a rocky area(Rocksylvania go figure.)

This was a tight squeeze for me and "Big Blue."

LHHT-January-2012-032.jpg

Here is another shot of my "tight quarters."

LHHT-January-2012-033.jpg

No lack of ice lol...

LHHT-January-2012-034.jpg

As I made my way along the trail I found what I believe to be a bobcat track. 

LHHT-January-2012-037.jpg

Well its time for a bit more night hiking. I don't mind it at all. Its just so peaceful on a moon-lit night with snow on the ground. 

The sun was dropping fast so I caught this shot of the sun going down before nightfall completely set in.

LHHT-January-2012-038.jpg

I then grabbed my headlamp & gloves for a 5 mile night hike on the crust. 

LHHT-January-2012-039.jpg

As I made my way through the darkness of night and approached the shelter site I found something new on the trail that wasn't here in October when I was on the trail. Someone was busy.

Now this is a cairn lol.

LHHT-January-2012-043.jpg

I also found this pretty cool looking black fungus growing on a dead-fall tree branch.

LHHT-January-2012-044.jpg

So I arrive at camp, do my ritual of grabbing some warm grub, and checking my eyelids for holes.

The next day was bright and sunny. I packed up my gear and headed out on another day on the trail. I snagged a few shots of the shelter area as I left. 

LHHT-January-2012-045.jpg

LHHT-January-2012-046.jpg

Eventually the sun started to drop and I decided it was a good idea... well my stomach decided it was a good idea to have a warm on-trail dinner.

LHHT-January-2012-047.jpg

As I traveled I came across a vista. The moon looked awesome but the pics didn't come out quite as good as I had hoped. I think I need to get better acquainted with my camera but nevertheless here are a few shots with the camera on different settings.

LHHT-January-2012-055.jpg

LHHT-January-2012-056.jpg

I once again made my way to the shelter site with the wind howling across the ridge. My sleeping bag seemed like a really nice place to be at this time. 

I arrived at the shelter area and called it a night and I was right. My sleeping bag was a REALLY nice place to be.

The next day was once again clear so I decided to make my way up the ridge and take a peek at the lookout tower and other various towers in this area. The tower is non-accessible due to a chain link fence around it.

LHHT-January-2012-057.jpg

More various towers in the area.

LHHT-January-2012-058.jpg

LHHT-January-2012-059.jpg

LHHT-January-2012-060.jpg

Here is a pic of what I refer to as "toilet paper fungus." I am not sure how I came up with this reference but either way...

LHHT-January-2012-061.jpg

So as I am soaking up the last day of my trip I slowly meandered down the ridge and just absorbed my surroundings. I love the trail but I also knew in a matter of hours it was all coming to an end. I can honestly say I was saddened by this but as they say "nothing lasts forever."

As I made my way towards the end of the trail I found myself becoming trigger happy with the camera. 

I thought this was a nice shot and alot of these pics wouldn't happen in the warmer seasons due to leaves.

LHHT-January-2012-067.jpg

I stopped to take a few slugs of water from the bladder.

LHHT-January-2012-072.jpg

Another one of those shots that wouldn't happen if leaves were brought into the equation.

LHHT-January-2012-073.jpg

If ya look hard at the bottom of the ridge there is a road down there.

LHHT-January-2012-074.jpg

Here is a shot of the Conemaugh(river) gorge. 

LHHT-January-2012-075.jpg

A few more miles and it will soon be coming to an end. :(

LHHT-January-2012-079.jpg

I decided to pop off another pic of the power line.

LHHT-January-2012-082.jpg

Halfway down the ridge I encounter what I refer to as "the hook." I find myself wondering what was the point or use of this hook in a rock and how it landed here. If anyone has any idea what the purpose of this is please feel free to fire away. I'm almost certain its something simple that I just cannot figure out.

LHHT-January-2012-084.jpg

Rhodo alley...

LHHT-January-2012-085.jpg

Making my way to the final mile marker(70) by the trail boards.

LHHT-January-2012-090.jpg

LNT as displayed at each TH. I wish others would pay more attention to these principles.

LHHT-January-2012-092.jpg

Well as I stated earlier; all good things must come to an end. 

LHHT-January-2012-093.jpg

Over-all it was a great trip. A great deal of good weather, some bad weather, but most importantly I have more memories to add to the mental scrap book.

This trip did have its times though. 

Like when I was going through my gear for a new set of batteries for my headlamp and realized I packed AAs instead of the AAAs I needed. Luckily one of the guys that was with Dane threw me off 3 new batteries.

Then I get all the way home and cannot find my camera to save my life. In panic mode I make the 1.5hr trip back up the mountain to the main gate where I was picked-up to look for it. After I didn't find it I was literally about to cry.

So I get back home at 3am and was pretty upset. I couldn't sleep so I decided to unload my stuff sacks and what not.

Well during this time I pulled the Hille out to dry a bit and guess what falls out of my tent.... MY CAMERA !!!

From one of Gonzan's previous trip reports I knew Hilles have an appetite being Tipi's tent tried to eat him but this is rediculous. 

Hey, on the bright side its just another one of those things I can laugh at later on down the road. 

I'm such a goof.

I hope you enjoy the trip report and the pics. 

Happy hiking everyone.

2:11 p.m. on January 11, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
770 reviewer rep
1,258 forum posts
Re: A 6 day 5 night January stroll through the hills with "big blue."

Very cool Rick!

So what do you think of the Hillie so far (I know it's early to have much opinion)?

2:26 p.m. on January 11, 2012 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

Great report, Rick

I am really glad your recovery went so quickly and you're back out logging miles! 

Concerning "the hook," I think you're looking at it wrong- you've got to look at the whole apparatus: The hook is just the handle to the boulder, which is a giant's curling stone! ;)

I've "lost" items like that before, it is maddening. I once let my brother borrow an expensive, high lumen flashlight. At the end of the trip I asked for it back, and he tells me he already did. After going through both our packs multiple times, I firmly blamed him for losing it. Well, I was bound and determined to make a fool of myself, as I later found it in my pack where I had already looked thrice. I sheepishly called my brother and apologized, and he took special delight in the whole ordeal, LOL! 

2:28 p.m. on January 11, 2012 (EST)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Patman said:

So what do you think of the Hillie so far (I know it's early to have much opinion)?

So far I am pleased with the minimal use I have subjected it too. Fully guyed out the thing didn't budge in the wind gusts.

I did get kinda annoyed at the corner inner toggles detaching themselves from the outer at times on their own only to figure it out after I had the tent fully set up.

Oh well. No biggie. 

2:32 p.m. on January 11, 2012 (EST)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

gonzan said:

Great report, Rick

I am really glad your recovery went so quickly and you're back out logging miles! 

I do have to say that the leg is definitely not at 100%. I cannot lock it(pain) and it was like jello towards the time I was ending up at the shelters. I was happy to get off of it. 

Concerning "the hook," I think you're looking at it wrong- you've got to look at the whole apparatus: The hook is just the handle to the boulder, which is a giant's curling stone! ;)

Thats funny. You may be onto something there. 

I've "lost" items like that before, it is maddening. I once let my brother borrow an expensive, high lumen flashlight. At the end of the trip I asked for it back, and he tells me he already did. After going through both our packs multiple times, I firmly blamed him for losing it. Well, I was bound and determined to make a fool of myself, as I later found it in my pack where I had already looked trice. I sheepishly called my brother and apologized, and he took special delight in the whole ordeal, LOL! 

Maddening is right. I was so upset. I am usually pretty good at not losing things on trail. 

Honestly, the pics meant more to me than the camera. The camera could be replaced... The pics on the other hand not so much.

2:44 p.m. on January 11, 2012 (EST)
87 reviewer rep
1,061 forum posts

Rick

Way to start out a new year in logging miles. Glad to see your leg is coming along. Great trip report of you and big blue..lol   Thanks for shareing the snow also. I only saw some in Shenandoah this past November..

2:52 p.m. on January 11, 2012 (EST)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

denis daly said:

Rick

Way to start out a new year in logging miles.

Its gradually getting there. I am definitely doing everything I can to get it back too its full potential. It is a bit sore now but thats just part of the recovery I suppose.

I'm not sure how it would act with snowshoes(kinda skeptical) but luckily I didn't need them for this trip.

Great trip report of you and big blue..lol

"Big Blue" just seemed like the perfect name for my mini fridge with a built in shoulder harness. 

Thanks for shareing the snow also. 

No problem man. Anything I can do to spread the joy. ;)

6:19 p.m. on January 11, 2012 (EST)
37 reviewer rep
71 forum posts

great trip and photos!! thanks for posting!!

9:15 p.m. on January 11, 2012 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,160 reviewer rep
599 forum posts

Glad to see that knee is healing up for you Rick! Great TR.

9:28 p.m. on January 11, 2012 (EST)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

@ kayakingdog and Jake- Thanks guys. 

10:28 p.m. on January 11, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
910 forum posts

And here I thought Big Blue was an IBM main frame.  Glad to see you back up and hiking.  But there are a couple of things that run through my native Floridian mind.

There is just something about a winter hike to me that cannot be matched by backpacking in the warmer seasons.

That would be the temperature.

Maybe its the solitude that comes with the colder seasons;

That would be because normal people stay in when its cold.

maybe its the way the trees talk to you when you are on a ridge;

Sounds like your head gear isn't warm enough and you're having hypothermic hallucinations or the trees are shivering.

then again maybe its that bite in the air that one experiences in the morning in a tent and the inside of your tent looks like it is "frosted."

Frost on the inside of the tent.  'nough said.

Looked like a great hike.  Again glad to see your having fun hiking again.

P.S. The first moon pick is awesome.

10:33 p.m. on January 11, 2012 (EST)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Lol, thanks ocala... I think ;) 

11:48 p.m. on January 11, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,513 forum posts

WOW...big giant FUN, Rick! I really think this report captures the adventure!

12:17 a.m. on January 12, 2012 (EST)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Thanks giftogab. It was a fun trip.

9:16 a.m. on January 12, 2012 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

Don't worry Rick, the trees talk to me, too. 

:)

7:58 p.m. on January 12, 2012 (EST)
121 reviewer rep
291 forum posts

Nice report & pics. Thanks for sharing. I'm so busy with work I'm living vicariously through the rest of you.

Don't worry about those flatlanders comments. Ya ever driven through Florida? The biggest mountain there is the landfill South of Orlando! :)

Winter camping separates the men from the boys. I see your still snowless too...

8:06 p.m. on January 12, 2012 (EST)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Hey Jersey, how are ya?

I spent quite a bit of time on the Gulf Coast. I know all about the mountains(fire ant mounds) of Florida. :)

I honestly wanted a bit of snow. The first few days I had a bit but it pretty much melted for the most part by day 3. There was still a crust in some of the areas that didn't receive direct sunlight.

When it comes to snow the more the merrier as far as I am concerned. 

It did get somewhat cold towards the last few days of my trip. 

I apparently missed the snow. I have storm warnings popping left and right on my phone for 5" and up hitting the ridges that I just left within the next 24hrs(storm out of the west.)

12:19 a.m. on January 13, 2012 (EST)
38 reviewer rep
395 forum posts

Nice TR Rick

Def good to see your out and about again. Sorry ya didnt get the snow you were wanting to realy test that new Hille. What were the low temps like?

Doesnt gear going MIA just drive ya nuts. Ive got an OR radar cap I havent seen in 3 months. I know its here somewhere......... Ive looked for it several times, I didnt throw it away .................I know its here somewhere dang it!

12:31 a.m. on January 13, 2012 (EST)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

azrhino said:

Nice TR Rick

Def good to see your out and about again. Sorry ya didnt get the snow you were wanting to realy test that new Hille. What were the low temps like?

Maybe the low 20s, high teens? I never really checked on the weather while I was up there. The cold eats my phone up so most of the time the phone was in my pack and the battery was in my pants pocket which was under my outer shell. I figured that my body heat would keep the battery up to snuff and it worked out well. I have the ability to recharge in the field but didn't want to tap into the reserves unless absolutely necessary.

It was definitely below 32 though. The bag I was using is rated at -20 so I was good to go. 

Doesnt gear going MIA just drive ya nuts.

I don't necessarily know if it drove me nuts being I have been told on numerous occasions that I am "special."

Ive got an OR radar cap I havent seen in 3 months. I know its here somewhere......... Ive looked for it several times, I didnt throw it away .................I know its here somewhere dang it!

I really like the Radar cap. I have a black and khaki one. Nice lid. 

12:41 a.m. on January 13, 2012 (EST)
38 reviewer rep
395 forum posts

Yeah I like my khaki radar cap. I think its ability to fold up is the problem here. Must be folded in a pocket somewhere............ DANG IT where the heck is it?!

12:43 a.m. on January 13, 2012 (EST)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

azrhino said:

DANG IT where the heck is it?!

My gut is telling me it will be in the last place you look for it...

Hopefully. ;)

9:45 a.m. on January 13, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
910 forum posts

I don't have a problem with mountains.  I like them.  The scenery is far better.  My parents had a cabin in NC south of Asheville.  I loved going there as a kid.  My parents were school teachers and we would go for 3-4 weeks in the summer and a long weekend in the fall.  Sometimes we would go up during spring break. The best view in our county is on top of our land fill.  

The temperature is my problem. I am not acclimated to cold. I wouldn't mind day hiking but overnight is not what I would consider fun unless I was able to stay for a month or so and get acclimated. 

Most of you would probably not even dream of hiking during the summer in Florida.

10:14 a.m. on January 13, 2012 (EST)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

ocalacomputerguy said:

The temperature is my problem. I am not acclimated to cold. I wouldn't mind day hiking but overnight is not what I would consider fun unless I was able to stay for a month or so and get acclimated. 

Most of you would probably not even dream of hiking during the summer in Florida.

One gets use to the cold temps fairly quickly. Its 15 here now with a windchill of -1(at least thats what it was when I last looked.)

I don't mind the heat. Its the humidity that I have an issue with. 

I was working on the side of a house off of a ladder this past summer when the heat index was over 100.

Worked years back on a road crew running jackhammer from sun up til sundown in the summer cutting out manhole frames and water boxes so we could set them to grade for new paving. 

Heat and cold never really phased me. It was always the humidity I could do w/o.

11:59 a.m. on January 13, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,513 forum posts

I lived in Eastern Washington for 18 years. Out in Badger pocket it was pretty cold. Coldest was aroun neg 40 or a little colder. Winters required lots of bundling up getting to and from work. The day I moved to Vegas I was in several feet of snow and colder than....welll....COLD. I arrived two days later in Vegas and it was sunny, and I got a sun burn. I ahve never looked back. Was 10 years efore I acclimated enough to actually buy a winter coat again.! I hate being cold, generally, but have been going out and GETTING cold to be ready for the Himalayas!

Rick -- Glad you didn't mess up your knee practicing for the US womens gymnastics team whilst on your hike! 

12:04 p.m. on January 13, 2012 (EST)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

giftogab said:

Glad you didn't mess up your knee practicing for the US womens gymnastics team whilst on your hike! 

I am well on my way to the 2012 games... Now where did I put my tights?

5:23 a.m. on January 14, 2012 (EST)
102 reviewer rep
2,285 forum posts

That hook thing you refer to:

I have seen similar apparatus in the Sierras.  There are a few of these in the middle of nowhere, with nothing else in sight that alludes to their reason for existence.  A little research indicated they were block and tackle anchor points for logging and mining operations, used to drag equipment or lumber up or down a slope.  Invariably these were all placed on the slope, not on a ridge top.

I have also seen a few similar steel pegs in the San Gabriel Mountains near Los Angeles.  These lag points were once the anchor points for helicopter landing pads.  There were usually other large lags present too.  The pads usually used three or four legs.  In all cases the heli pad lags were positioned on top of ridge lines or peaks.  The heli pads were used in conjunction with erecting electrical transmission towers, or in other instances were places the forest service thought a helicopter pad was a good idea, to aid fire fighting activities, SAR, etc.  Nothing remains of any of these pads except the lags.

Both heli pad and the B&T points are solid steel.  If that hook is a hollow pipe, then I don't think the above explanations would apply. 

Ed 

12:32 p.m. on January 15, 2012 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,475 forum posts

Haha....toilet paper fungus!!

You may have just created one of the more useful (descriptive) common names I am aware of. The name fits well doesn't it?

"I made some coffee, ate a few granola bars, and headed south..." Also known to me as the moving mans breakfast of champions.

Yeah....what's up with the graffiti? I mean I'm sure we have all seen it before, and we basically know the types responsible, but I have seen it several miles in the middle of the backcountry before. You don't generally see "those types" hike that far to commit their mischief.

Hikers & backpackers really should pay more attention to the sign boards / kiosks at trailheads. This is our tax money at work for one thing, and for another I always learn something by taking the time to read the info presented for each area.

Great trip, photos, and report Rick!

Mike G.

12:35 p.m. on January 15, 2012 (EST)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

@Ed- I was thinking it was utilized as an anchor point. I just couldn't figure out for what. From the pitting in the iron I believe that its a safe assumption that it has been there for quite some time. 

Maybe it was used when they were timbering out the area higher on the ridge for the power line?

They are solid.

Hmmmm, the mystery continues. 

12:57 p.m. on January 15, 2012 (EST)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

trouthunter said:

Haha....toilet paper fungus!!

You may have just created one of the more useful (descriptive) common names I am aware of. The name fits well doesn't it?

I try to keep it simple lol. The name just seemed fitting.

Yeah....what's up with the graffiti? I mean I'm sure we have all seen it before, and we basically know the types responsible, but I have seen it several miles in the middle of the backcountry before. You don't generally see "those types" hike that far to commit their mischief.

This is just so senseless to me. I mean seriously. I'm sure the individual(idiot) that spray painted this garbage all over the place has really made a name for himself with the local wildlife. 

What an idiot. Things like this get my blood boiling. 

Hikers & backpackers really should pay more attention to the sign boards / kiosks at trailheads. This is our tax money at work for one thing, and for another I always learn something by taking the time to read the info presented for each area.

Absolutely. I always learn something from these boards. Its typically something that is pretty substantial in regards to a native species, or a history lesson in regards to a certain area of trail, etc. 

It adds to the over-all experience on the trail. 

...by the way; did ya know they call rattlesnakes rattlesnakes because they rattle? 

Who would have thunk it?

Great trip, photos, and report Rick!

Mike G.

Thanks Mike. Ya know no matter how much time I log on one trail the experiences are never the same. I also always find myself noticing things on the trail that I didn't see the previous trips.

Same trips, different sights...

Glad you enjoyed the tr. 

10:32 a.m. on January 17, 2012 (EST)
119 reviewer rep
456 forum posts

Looks like you had some fun Rick, great that your getting out again at your age! :p

Love the night shots, but next time bring some 5000 watt strobes so it's easier for us visually impaired to see your night picks!  I don't think they weigh more then a few pounds...  well then their is the batteries...   :D

As for Snow, well we just got some here! (PNW) but it will be raining by the weekend.  Oh well, not sure I am ready for camping in the snow yet anyway.  Besides, something about the cold....  Well lets just say I often think of moving to Mexico or the South Pacific...  :)  At least during the winter. 

Keep up the getting out their!

Wolfman

PS:  If it wasn't for lost gear, I would never get to buy new gear!!

10:52 a.m. on January 17, 2012 (EST)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Wolfman said:

Looks like you had some fun Rick, great that your getting out again at your age! :p

I know, I know, I'm a youngster lol.

Love the night shots, but next time bring some 5000 watt strobes so it's easier for us visually impaired to see your night picks!  I don't think they weigh more then a few pounds...  well then their is the batteries...   :D

Shouldn't be much of a problem... With a pulk.

As for Snow, well we just got some here! (PNW) but it will be raining by the weekend.  Oh well, not sure I am ready for camping in the snow yet anyway.  Besides, something about the cold....  Well lets just say I often think of moving to Mexico or the South Pacific...  :)  At least during the winter.

If I were away from the snow for an extended length of time(years) I would most certainly miss it tremendously. I Love the colder seasons. 

Keep up the getting out their!

Oh I most certainly will. No worries there.

Wolfman

PS:  If it wasn't for lost gear, I would never get to buy new gear!!

Very good point. I am going to have to use this one with the wife lol.

11:01 p.m. on February 20, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
40 forum posts

I can't believe how green that rock slot was. Beuaitful. Indeed a great way to start 2012.

10:04 p.m. on February 27, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
78 forum posts

nice trip Rick, and great pics. and you answered the question that came to mind while reading PatMans tr. cause its to freakin cold for humans!!! LOL.

if i can sleep warm i'm good otherwise time to break camp and head south. you are on it with the humidity, makes sleeping outdoors miserable here even in the winter, many cool days i run the a/c just to dry the air out. we did have a lot more dry days last summer than i can remember in my life time and i am hoping for a repeat this year it made things more bareable for sure but when it gets in the mid to high 90's or above its HOT regardless. my brother lived and worked in arizona and cali for a while and he calls me braggin how its in the high 80's and he hasn't even turned on the a/c just runnin a swamp cooler, three months later he calls sayin its like 110 or better and he don't even want to go outside.

great job and adventure Rick.

earl.

August 30, 2014
Quick Reply