Whelan Summits Black Mountain -- Ticker Tape Parade Planned!

12:43 a.m. on February 13, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,514 forum posts

Today's hike was Black Mountain in Henderson, Nevada. It is a tough hike, 6 miles round trip, 2k elevation gain. Tops out at 5k elevation. We got a late start but off we went

IMG_4163.jpg

The trial takes you behind some housing at the edge of Henderson and around an earthen dam just above the homes. (DON'T BUY A HOUSE THERE)

IMG_4166.jpg

The picture above is Vegas and the dam is the white part in the fore ground.

Lots to see along the trail. Here are some pics on the way up:

IMG_4168.jpg

IMG_4184.jpg

IMG_4175.jpg

IMG_4199.jpg

IMG_4208.jpg

This is the view of Red Rock Canyon from Black Mountain. The high point is Turtle Head....it mocks me wherever I go. It mocks me.....

IMG_4211.jpg

That top never seemed to get closer.

IMG_4212.jpg

IMG_4216.jpg

IMG_4218.jpg

SUMMIT JOY!!

IMG_4219.jpg

The green item is the ammo box that holds the summit log...I signed it!

BLACK-SUMMIT.jpg

The survey cap. Black Mountain is MINE!

Since we got a late start, the sun went down after I got down the hardest part. Good thing I had my handy head lamp because it was another hour of dark hiking to get to the car. It was a great one! Hope you enjoy the pics and if you ever get to Vegas, this is a nice hike. On a really clear day, you can see Spirit Mountain to the south; deep into Arizona to the east; Mt. Potosi, Red Rock Canyon, and the Spring Mountains to the west; and the Sheep Range, the Muddy Mountains, and the Mormon Mountains to the north—not to mention all of Las Vegas filling the valley at your feet.

7:03 a.m. on February 13, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
770 reviewer rep
1,269 forum posts

Way to go Karen! Love the headline too!

Good call on the headlamp, that looks like the kind of place where it would be easy to turn an ankle in the dark...

7:15 a.m. on February 13, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
910 forum posts

Way to go Gift!

9:05 a.m. on February 13, 2012 (EST)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Awesome tr. I love the pics that you westerners shoot out. So different than what I am accustomed to seeing on my side of the continent.

I wouldn't want to be caught up there w/o a headlamp. It would turn out to be another episode in the life of the "Community Crash Test Dummy" for me.

May make for an interesting tr though.

9:07 a.m. on February 13, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,514 forum posts

Patman: Yeah...easy to turn one in the LIGHT! I always stress my left ankle on these anyway for some reason, so no lighty no hikey for me. This was typical in many ways of what a day will be like on the trek. Altitude, however, will make the 3 mile ascent twice the time as today's ascent.

10:36 a.m. on February 13, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
770 reviewer rep
1,269 forum posts

Rick-Pittsburgh said:

Awesome tr. I love the pics that you westerners shoot out. So different than what I am accustomed to seeing on my side of the continent.

+1 Rick

I love seeing the other areas. Some I may never get to see in person.

10:47 a.m. on February 13, 2012 (EST)
200 reviewer rep
4,160 forum posts

I take it that's Las Vegas in the distance in the picture? Looks like the hike I did here near Tucson to Blackets Rudge a few weeks ago. Very steep climb.

11:12 a.m. on February 13, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,514 forum posts

This was steep all right. VERY steep near the top. Yeah that is Vegas. Here is my favorite pic that is up in my report...but a photographer friend of mine worked it over:

RR.jpg

That peak in teh middle of Red Rock is called TURTLE HEAD and it is one I ahve not topped. Mostly because the hike truly sucks to me once you gat up near the saddle and have to goat pick your way to the top.

11:16 a.m. on February 13, 2012 (EST)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

That pic is so awesome. I have to make my way out towards the left coast someday. 

Simply beautiful...

11:30 a.m. on February 13, 2012 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

What a great hike! 

7:34 p.m. on February 14, 2012 (EST)
38 reviewer rep
395 forum posts

Nice TR and pics gift, Thanx! 

Gotta love the deserts this time of year. Get in as much as ya can cuz you know whats just around the corner.

Im a driver and was just talking with a fellow driver today about great views and one we both agreed on was coming south on I-15 at night thru the mountains and all of a sudden..........BAM!! there lies Las Vegas all lit up before ya.

Is a beautiful area.

9:36 p.m. on February 14, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,514 forum posts

Thanks...itsure is and I agree with your description.

11:23 p.m. on February 14, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
118 forum posts

Such a picture of contrast and survival, the "meadows" amidst the mountains.  Thanks for sharing your trip; you're handy with that camera--wide angle shots are hard to compose.

11:30 p.m. on February 14, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,514 forum posts

Thanks, Bunion....it was a great bit of fun...the glitz if Sin City reaching p out of the desert not so differently (nor less violently) than does Red Rock and Turtle Head!

12:20 p.m. on February 19, 2012 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,485 forum posts

Very cool photos!

I'm late in reading the report so I guess I have already missed the ticker tape parade...but I really enjoyed reading about this hike.

Was there a big change in temps as you changed elevation later in the day?

How was the wind at the summit?

Mike G.

9:44 p.m. on April 15, 2012 (EDT)
1,357 reviewer rep
1,339 forum posts

2000 ft; so that's 600 meters over about 5 km one way? Nice easy walk, but long and steady, eh?

3:06 a.m. on April 16, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
812 reviewer rep
540 forum posts

2000 ft; so that's 600 meters over about 5 km one way? Nice easy walk, but long and steady, eh?

Pales in comparison to her Mt Everest base camp trek she just finished! Sherpas, high altitude, squat toilets, winter camping at Everest's foot and yaks! Very cool.

8:17 a.m. on April 16, 2012 (EDT)
1,357 reviewer rep
1,339 forum posts

True. Success rate for Everest base camp is around 90%-95% depending on how long you take to get there, but that's a very long journey.

September 30, 2014
Quick Reply