not the most adventure, but...

9:04 p.m. on March 4, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
78 forum posts

the wife and me took our two grandsons on a short hike along a black water river on the florida trail today,( the head waters of the sopchoppy ) this was there second outing this year and the second ever for the younger of the two who is 3. i have no idea how far we walked, the river is crooked as a bears gut but we walked for a little over two hours and they wouldnt have made it much longer, they both fell asleep on the short ride home. my original plan was to take a trail along the river just across the road from home but with the heavy rains we had last night i was afraid it would be flooded so we opted to go to the south east a few miles to stay on bluffs and dry. we didnt see any critters except a lizard, a couple of birds one yellow fly which i could have lived without and more ticks than i could count. we did see a small pile of bear scat on the way in and the evidence of a bear climbing a cypress on the edge of a dry wet weather pond but no bear i am happy to say. thats just one of the many good things about hiking with kids, their noisy so everything and everybody knows they are coming. they had a really good time and liked carrying there own packs, food and water and fleece and we got a real kick out of seeing how much they liked it so it was a great day for all. the wild azalea's are blooming all along the river and jasmine as well so there was a little spring color to enjoy along the way and both the boys love flowers.

well thats the trip report from podunk florida and with any luck we'll make a report in paddlin in the next week or two.

earl.

9:26 p.m. on March 4, 2012 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,497 forum posts

I'm happy that you, your wife, and grandsons got to get out and enjoy nature!

"Crooked as a bears gut"....I like that one.

Here in coastal SC I am seeing ticks & chiggers, it's scary.

I'm glad the boys liked the flowers, I like flowers too.

I look forward to the paddlin' report!

Mike G.

10:34 p.m. on March 4, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,514 forum posts

Great! Playing outside is good in every dosage!

11:04 p.m. on March 4, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
912 forum posts

Didn't realize we had wild azaleas in Florida.  If the timing is right you are gonna love Roan Mountain.  

Bug wise I can deal with yellow flies.  It's the ticks I can't stand.  I lived in a tick free zone of woods when I was a kid and rarely ran into them in North Carolina. Maybe we just went at the right time and didn't see that many.

It sounds like the grand sons had a great time and you wore them out which is a pretty good accomplishment and it was a great adventure for them. 

PS I was supposed to get some of that rain.  Didn't get a ___ drop. See this for an explanation.

12:50 a.m. on March 5, 2012 (EST)
38 reviewer rep
395 forum posts

sounds like a good day to me!

Its not always about conquering the great wild wilderness. But more about enjoying what ya can when ya can.  Great to see Grandpa is planting the outdoor seed into the young'ns :)

8:39 a.m. on March 5, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
78 forum posts

Thanks to all for the kind words, i have to agree with Rhino, if you want it to grow ya got to plant the seed.

@ocala

don't know how many days i have wasted by beleiving the weather man. you would think i would learn. if you do a you tube search there is a tribune reporter who walked the entire trail, there are some shots of wild azelea's in his slide show. they grow all over the place in this area, so do pitcher plants and a wild lily i dont know the name of, they look like a dwarf easter lily, we have some growing wild in our yard.

earl.

5:07 p.m. on March 7, 2012 (EST)
121 reviewer rep
291 forum posts

Every adventure is epic to a child. Taking them exploring like that broadens their minds & their spirits Well done.

8:59 p.m. on March 7, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
78 forum posts

thanks Jersey, and your right, it reminds me of the first time my daddy took me and my brother hunting limb rats. we only got a couple but what a morning. and then the first time we got to go alone, man that was a very big day!!

earl

10:02 p.m. on March 7, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,514 forum posts

Yeah. To kids nearly everything is new and wondrous. The more wonder that is provided outdoors instead of at the end of a joystick and monitor, the more outdoors will be a priority! YAY!

1:37 a.m. on March 8, 2012 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
118 forum posts

Ha, that snooze on the way home brings me back, with all the fresh air and hands-on imagination!  I'd like to think there's a "podunk" down the street from everybody if they'd just get out and go there!  Glad you all had fun, Earl.

8:50 p.m. on March 13, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
78 forum posts

yes Gab, your right on the money, isn't it ashamed how many of forget what a wonder there is all around us once we start eeking out a living.

Bunion, podunk is a nice place to live but the drive to work and back will sure put ya in a corrolla with a quickness.

@Ocala. the wife and me are heading out saturday morning for an in and out overnighter to explore part of the F.T. i haven't seen yet, i will make sure to get some picks of the wild azaleas for you.

earl.

October 25, 2014
Quick Reply