Meetup of the Unicoi Mafia

4:13 p.m. on March 10, 2012 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

Tipi and Patman have already posted excellent trip reports from out last get-together up in the Citico and Slickrock "Wildernae", but I thought I would share my report as well

This time I decided it would be fun to take a bunch of video and make a film report. This was my first go at putting something like this together; I hope it turned out ok, though don't hold it against me if it shows! 

The first night I drove up after work, so it was late when i arrived and got on the trail. The wind was cold a harsh, but I hiked a couple miles in to the South Fork of Citico Creek in Jeffrey hell. 

The video is in 720p high definition, so it is worth viewing in full screen!

4:36 p.m. on March 10, 2012 (EST)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

This is awesome man. I gotta say for a "rookie" ya did good.... Very good.

Looks like ya had a good time. 

Good stuff Gonzan. 

4:57 p.m. on March 10, 2012 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

Thanks Rick, It was a lot of fun, though really put a dent in hiking times. Editing it all together took about 4-5 hours at least- time I really didn't have to spend, but I was too excited not to put it together, LOL!  

6:15 p.m. on March 10, 2012 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
592 reviewer rep
1,493 forum posts

WOW! That vid really captured all of the fun! I truly enjoyed every bit of it!

7:09 p.m. on March 10, 2012 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
983 reviewer rep
3,475 forum posts

Gonzan,

Very good job showing what it is like in the area and multiple activities.

The music was a great choice and lends itself well to the history of the Appalachians.

'Ya did good.

I'm very glad you guys got to meet up and have some fun!

Mike G.

8:56 p.m. on March 10, 2012 (EST)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

Thanks, Gift- I wish I had taken the time to get some video of the first night to go along with the rest. I had built a small fire, the stars were blazing, and it was just perfect :)

Trout, 

We're just waitin' on you to come join us for a weekend :)

I appreciate the compliment on the music. The band mates are some guys we've got to know a little bit. They play most Sundays downtown at an Irish Pub, so I get to enjoy a nice pint and some great music too!

10:15 a.m. on March 11, 2012 (EDT)
153 reviewer rep
235 forum posts

Great video! Makes me wish I was with you on the trail! More. More.

1:16 p.m. on March 11, 2012 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
395 forum posts

That was cool Gonzan!

Looks like ya had a great trip again. The addition of video for a TR is just way to cool! Im sure that took awhile to edit together so a !!BIG THANX!! for that.

1:57 p.m. on March 11, 2012 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
1,085 reviewer rep
598 forum posts

That was a really fun movie to watch Gonz! Kinda reminds me of "Survivorman', with the background music and the shots walking by the camera.

Thanks for adding that, keep em coming.

6:27 p.m. on March 11, 2012 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

I am so glad you all enjoyed it. It will likely bee a while before i can get out for another weekend trip, but this stoked my fix for a while :)

8:13 a.m. on March 12, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
755 reviewer rep
1,241 forum posts

Hah! That was cool Caleb! Thanks for taking the time to put this together, I know how busy you are.... 

I cringed a little when the parts with me in them came up. I'm not shy but I remember feeling a bit self conscious when you started filming…

Well done and I also love the music!

3:58 p.m. on March 12, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
910 forum posts

Excellent TR.  The only thing I would have added is a shot of Tipi hoisting his pack up!

If you want to come on my next AT hike in June and document it you're more than welcome!

4:21 p.m. on March 12, 2012 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,119 forum posts

May I ask what kind of camera did you shoot that marvelous video on. I am thinking this summer of getting a Hero HD and start filming my hikes and bike rides. Incidently in 26 day I am leaving Tucson by bicycle and riding back to Flagstaff. I will make out a trip planning report later when it is closer to leaving time.

4:34 p.m. on March 12, 2012 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

Thanks Ocala :)

Gary,

I have a Nikon D7000, which is a DSLR used primarily for still photography, but provides pretty robust HD video funtion. I shot this in 720P to avoid eating up the massive amounts of memory 1080 takes up. As it was, the final "movie" is close to 3/4 of a GB. Yikes.  

6:34 p.m. on March 12, 2012 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
588 reviewer rep
3,011 forum posts

Great job, Gonzan! I love it. I think that was a great effort, first time or not.

It was not only a lovely backpacking video, but nice to see some of our members out there in person. Very cool!

My 7-year-old just watched part of it with me and had the following comments: "wow!" followed by "they're filtering their water, right?" and "that place is just beautiful!"

Gary already asked the first camera question I had. Do you carry a small Joby-type tripod for positioning the camera?

I have a Canon G9, but I never think to take videos when I'm out, just still pictures. I should try changing that up on occasion and do some more videos. I doubt I have the patience to set up shots though.

Thanks for sharing.

p.s. I think Patman's Trailspace hat was a scene stealer for me.

6:34 p.m. on March 12, 2012 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,119 forum posts

Yeah I used to have a canon camera that shot videos and a 10 second video took 40 minutes to down load to my laptop.

I shot this one a couple winters ago here near Tucson on that camera, can't remember the model.This was at Hutches Pool in the Catalina's.

6:48 p.m. on March 12, 2012 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

Thanks Alicia :) 

Your little one's comments are so great! My brother watched it with his kids on their big flatscreen, and his daughters were quite surprised, saying "Uncle Caleb is on TV!" 

I always treat my water unless I know for certain it has proven to be safe. The one where I am filling my bottle directly is the only such location I visit frequently. I actually edited out out where I mentioned this exactly, followed by my drinking directly from it, LOL. But you don't have to tell anyone ;)

I currently do not have a little tripod, though I definitely need to get one. 

The G9 is a grerat camera. I lamented not thinking to get more video while I was in the Tetons. 

3:19 p.m. on March 13, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
78 forum posts

that was just plain AWSOME!!! it was good to put faces with the names and a special thanks from an Irishman for the fine music.

question. the trees/shrubs you are walking through as your walking the stream, what are they? they resemble what is locally known here as gall berry.

thanks for letting us share in the tree of yours adventure.

earl.

4:13 p.m. on March 13, 2012 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

Glad you enjoyed it, Earl! 

The large tree-like shrubbery (bring us one!) all through the video are Rhododendron. There were probably a few instances of Mountain Laurel as well. Any conifers were either Eastern Hemlock or White Pine. The massive trunked trees we walked through towards the end of the video are Tulip Poplar (also known as Yellow Poplar) 

4:27 p.m. on March 13, 2012 (EDT)
200 reviewer rep
4,119 forum posts

My, my, Smithcreek, you look awfully young for your age!

5:52 p.m. on March 13, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
78 forum posts

GERITOL Gary GERITOL!!!! thats my oldest grandson when he was about 2 1/2 years old. he's six now and has moved on from being a blues man to being a doctor and moving to the mountains of NC or East TN. i am hoping he sticks with it, i'm dreamin of a summer home.

earl

2:22 a.m. on March 16, 2012 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
114 forum posts

Add mine to the praises, Gonzan!  It really makes the trip report more inviting to hear each person's unique voice, and to see the spontaneity that still shots don't capture.  Thanks to you, Gary and Alicia for educating us on some of the inevitable technology for it, as well.

9:26 a.m. on March 16, 2012 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

Thanks Bunion :)

11:34 a.m. on March 19, 2012 (EDT)
33 reviewer rep
78 forum posts

excellent video! really makes me want to get out in that area.

5:05 p.m. on March 23, 2012 (EDT)
225 reviewer rep
1,192 forum posts

You outdid yourself this time Gonzan.  And your camera sure makes good video.  Me and Little Mitten sat around the screen and watched the whole video and she laughed---at me and not with me.  Just kidding. 

We were out in the winter, and they say March is often the worst winter month BUT NOT THIS YEAR.  I fondly remember the sharp cold winds blowing across the mountain with you and Patman.  The old green le chateau gi-normity is still accepting reservations, etc.

2:16 p.m. on March 26, 2012 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

Haha! Thanks, Tipi :) I am so glad Little Mitten enjoyed watching it (even if it was at your expense ;)

I am kinda bummed this winter was so pitiful, I really wanted to get out in some heavy snow. Perhaps it will be better next year. 

2:49 p.m. on March 26, 2012 (EDT)
225 reviewer rep
1,192 forum posts

gonzan said:

Haha! Thanks, Tipi :) I am so glad Little Mitten enjoyed watching it (even if it was at your expense ;)

I am kinda bummed this winter was so pitiful, I really wanted to get out in some heavy snow. Perhaps it will be better next year. 

I'm eyeballing the Mt Rogers backcountry again for April and I have a good feeling about it---might see some snow.  So I'm taking my standard winter kit just in case.  Down booties too?  Maybe.

7:50 p.m. on March 29, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
813 reviewer rep
508 forum posts

Very kewl.  The scene of the candle in Tipi's tent was nerve wracking!

10:15 p.m. on March 29, 2012 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,148 forum posts

Because it was an open flame it the tent, or because of Tipi's intense gestures? 

:)

10:19 p.m. on March 29, 2012 (EDT)
1,631 reviewer rep
3,962 forum posts

Mt. Everest.... ;)

August 21, 2014
Quick Reply