Little day hike Montgomery Bell State Park

10:51 a.m. on March 20, 2012 (EDT)
33 reviewer rep
78 forum posts

Ok, to start out, this is a very simple day hike and won't have anything impressive in it. I thought I would share a little lesson I learned a couple of weekends ago. It starts with a bit of disappointment.

A few weeks ago, I was supposed to join omatty on this hike http://www.trailspace.com/forums/trip-reports/topics/117061.html but the night before I came down very sick. So that plan was out. Then I was supposed to go to the Savage Gulf area this coming up weekend, but some family events are going to prevent me from it. So I told my wife (who is more than understanding) I needed to get into the woods somewhere, someway. I also had a new bag and I wanted to see how it carried. So I got up early on a Saturday morning (I had noon plans) and drove 5 minutes to get to our local state park Montgomery Bell State Park. http://tn.gov/environment/parks/MontgomeryBell/

This was going to be about a 6 mile loop. Sorry about the poor picture quality, taken with my wifes ipod touch.

IMG_0120.jpg

Here I am with my Deuter ActLite 40+10. I love it! It was a very cold morning (about 28 F) but was going to get warm quickly.

IMG_0123.jpg

I was heading down the the wildcat hollow.

IMG_0132.jpg

The highlights of the park are its creeks and lakes. Unfortunately, you have to cross them a few times.

IMG_0134.jpg
IMG_0138.jpg
IMG_0139.jpg

Creech Hollow Lake. The trail follows along this lake for about half a mile. My favorite part!

IMG_0149.jpg
IMG_0154.jpg

We had some tornados in our area about a year ago, and it is evident all throughout the trail. Nature carries on tho, much better than we do.

IMG_0155.jpg
IMG_0159.jpg
IMG_0160.jpg
IMG_0161.jpg

My rest spot for the morning. This is one of three backcountry shelters in the park, and my favorite one. Just a short 1.9 mile hike back out to my car, and my morning was done. Maybe not the biggest adventure, but an absolutely wonderful morning.

Ok, so the lesson I learned. I learned that I don't need a big plan, or a long weekend to enjoy taking a bag, some snacks and my mind out into the woods to really enjoy what God has given me. It took me back to the days when me and my brother would grab some crackers and our hatchet (the book The Hatchet by Gary Paulsen changed my preteen life) and spend all day out in our 50 acres of woods. Seem to forget those things sometimes when you get older.

1:10 p.m. on March 20, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
770 reviewer rep
1,310 forum posts

Jptrain,

Nice report and I think you make a great point (one that I should remember).

Thanks,

Patrick

1:34 p.m. on March 20, 2012 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
658 reviewer rep
2,149 forum posts

Nice hike, JPtrain! 

In the last two years I have multiple times had the thought "I am surrounded by the most wonderful wild places, why the heck don't I just get out it in more?!"

So here's to doing just that! 

*goes back to work at the computer in a bleak office*

;)

1:21 a.m. on March 21, 2012 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
395 forum posts

Nice JPtrain! Thanx for sharing a nice day hike with us.

I go out into the local Mtn. Park 5 minutes from home all the time. Its a great place to just go wander and clear my head. The trails out there allow me to do short hikes to 12+ mile loops. I test most all new gear out there first before taking it out on longer overniters in the back country. 

We cant always go on long extended grand adventures but the short close to home hikes give me the time to think, plot, and plan my next bigger trip. Besides, ya just cant go wrong with get'n your hike on!

9:28 a.m. on March 21, 2012 (EDT)
33 reviewer rep
78 forum posts

Thanks guys! Its just great to be outside

*also goes back to work at a computer in a windowless office*

November 26, 2014
Quick Reply