Nordegg Easter - Cline River

9:47 a.m. on April 15, 2012 (EDT)
1,357 reviewer rep
1,339 forum posts

The Cline River joins the Saskatchewan at Abraham Lake. From the TH, you can follow an old fire road to the junction at Coral Canyon and keep going up into the White Goat Wilderness, but for a day hike there is a pretty little path along the east bank of the river.

Nordegg-05-08-April-2012-083.jpg

Some people here might like the fisherman's shelter built at the base of a cliff. Plastic tarp and pine boughs for a roof and walls, a fire up against the cliff face to reflect the heat back, and even a double bed inside!

Nordegg-05-08-April-2012-087.jpg

Nice views pretty much all the way.Nordegg-05-08-April-2012-102.jpg

The trails was snow-covered and patchy in spots and to avoid the crumbly limestone cliff tops, we had to do a bit of bushwhacking. No real concerns as long as everyone stayed back from the edges a bit.

Nordegg-05-08-April-2012-089.jpg

Nordegg-05-08-April-2012-091.jpg

One thing the trail is known for in winter is the Cline River Gallery. We were on the opposite bank but we had nice views of ice. For an idea of the size, note the ice climbers at the top of the photo. Nordegg-05-08-April-2012-095.jpg

The cliffs along the way get as high as a couple of hundred metres, but that made for a lot to enjoy when we stopped on the top for lunch.  Nordegg-05-08-April-2012-106.jpg

Just for the fun of it, we did a little bit of compass-based route finding to shortcut back through the woods to the White Goat horse trail. From there it was an easy walk back to the TH.

Note that like most trails in the area, no maintenance is done and there are no wardens. This is not part of the National Parks system. Basically, you're on your own - cell phones don't work and any help is many hours away.

11:06 a.m. on April 15, 2012 (EDT)
MODERATOR REVIEW CORPS
998 reviewer rep
3,475 forum posts

Again....beautiful country!

Any fish in that river? I guess that's a rhetorical question, I'm sure there is.

You are right, the ice climbers really help to scale the photo, that's impressive.

Many of the areas I enjoy going to are also unmaintained & unmanned; you have to be self reliant don't you!

I'm glad you guys got to get out and enjoy an area that beautiful!

Mike G.

12:37 p.m. on April 15, 2012 (EDT)
119 reviewer rep
456 forum posts

Nice, Very Nice.  To bad it's so far a way (PNW)  Really nice photo of the Ice Falls, it took a little bit to find the climbers.  I wonder what it's like in the summer.  Looked like a nice day too. 

Wolfman

1:44 p.m. on April 15, 2012 (EDT)
1,357 reviewer rep
1,339 forum posts

Thank you, gentlemen.

Trouthunter: Bull trout and brown trout, I believe. It's very popular with fishermen in the lower reaches, but there are only a few places you can access the river above that.

As for self reliance, that's why I'm so safety oriented - I have to carry safety gear for all the people in the group in case something goes wrong and rescue really can be many hours (or even days) away.

Wolfman: You're in the Pacific Northwest? The central Rockies are just a hop skip and a jump from there - maybe 10-12 hours. The trip from Glacier National Park in the US up to Jasper is a spectacular one.

10:01 a.m. on April 16, 2012 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
770 reviewer rep
1,258 forum posts

What a wonderful place! Thanks for sharing these!

4:53 p.m. on April 16, 2012 (EDT)
1,357 reviewer rep
1,339 forum posts

Patman said:

What a wonderful place! Thanks for sharing these!

And hardly any people anywhere!

September 2, 2014
Quick Reply